Who is responsible for your safety when you travel to other countries for the first time?

If you’re visiting some cities and you don’t know the places you are going to visit even if you are told the city is safe and secure, will you rely on what you had been told but the locals or your take your own precautions I mean you will never know anyway. Not all countries are 100% violence and crime free, not one. Any tourist can be murdered anywhere even if their own country.

For example like you want to take a look at the city or a particular place and go sightseeing so you decide to take a walk by yourself or with another friend, to the city or even go to a beach but at 4am!!! At a time where most people is sleeping and the city , the beach or places could be lonely no people around!! I mean you as a tourist don’t know how things are around the city, you are there for the first time and you don’t take some precautions like why are you going out at 4am to take a walk!!!

Then when tourists are murdered in a foreign country, the country itself end up with a bad image worldwide so tourists stop traveling there in order to avoid being the victims of local crimes and tourists start criticizing that country and may tell other friends or tourists, do not go there because crime is all over and police do not do anything about it to catch the bad people.

If im told that a certain place or spot is safe I will still doubt and don’t rely too much of what they tell me I better take my own precautions.

I post this based that last week 2 tourists were murdered in my country in different beach cities. I sent you the links of those news.

https://news.co.cr/mexican-woman-killed-in-santa-teresa-costa-rica-english-woman-manages-to-escape/74999/

https://news.co.cr/suspect-in-killing-of-spanish-tourist-in-tortuguero-costa-rica-was-arrested/75004/
It is really sad and terrible what happened to these tourists but do you think they should had taken a little bit more precautions and more safety?

It is said that the tourist who was murdered in Tortuguero, she visited the city because they were told that place was peaceful and quiet so they rely on what they were told about the place..
Regarding these 2 murders there is a new movement in the country that says "Not a woman less we are not going to live in fear". That movement is to acknowledge the violence against women, so all women are supporting that not only feminists but women in general. They are criticizing the men as they are the ones performing this sexual violence against women, one of the victims it seemed was raped. Also the women is aimed that how come a woman now has to be afraid to walk alone in places.

729

Most Helpful Guys

• It's costa rica... What do they expect.

I generally trust the US federal guidelines on safe / unsafe countries. Obviously though in poor countries you don't get off the reservation.

Where I live you'd be more likely to murder one of us then us you. You would also be more likely to die of the weather.

• So US is super safe? plizzz!! I heard news about murders very often on the news from US. No country is the exception only that the laws are different unfortunately but still u have to use common safe and take the necessary precautions.

• You are responsible for your own safety and being in a poor country has nothing to do with it of course crime could be higher sure due to lack of good education, etc but USA even if it is a rich countries, you still get to see people murdered and do bad things so US is no exception.

• I wouldn't necessarily describe USA as safe. (and I didn't) However it's far from the worst.

I was talking about the travel advisories they put out.

It isn't just that the crime rate is higher. There is a lot of reasons. Take for example places where healthcare is poor and you can get hepatitis or HIV.

Or take for example safety. I went to a poor Caribbean country and had a lovely vacation, however we took WW2 amphibious landers for a ride. It was cool and a unique experience but obviously not safe by first world standards.

• #1. It shows that people only care about women. Because 80% of murder victims are men. But people look at the tree because they don't care about the forest. So yeah, if you focus on 1 single aspect of violence (sex), you'll find that women are the majority among this SUBcategory. But the majority of victims are still men and nobody cares and nobody is making a gendered argument on the subject.

#2. Everyone is responsible for himself. You're not responsible of what people do to you but you have a duty to yourself to be responsible and balance between the safety of living recluse and the dangers of exploring the world.

#3. credit cards like visa premier offer good support in case of problems abroad. Wish I had it before a military policeman crashed my rental car and his own car into a bus at 50-60mph in Morocco, with the case being investigated by... his own colleagues and friends who took our passports (probably illegally) a few years ago.

• I guess if these killings were done to a man, noone will stand up here in Costa Rica defending the man, or saying that regardless he time they (in case they were men) were attacked, that does not give the right for a killer to kil a man but because it were women the vicitims people of course pay more attention to it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Local law enforcement is always responsible for their guests, but the reality is that you still have to look out for yourself. I respect emergency services and law enforcement most of the time, but you have to judge the situation and their behavior and expressions. Sometimes, emergency services and law enforcement themselves don't know wtf is going on.

• like to go for a walk at 4am at a lonely beach like one of this tourists were doing before she got murdered?

• I am unsure what that has to do with your question. Even in a 4am walk, law enforcement is charged with keeping the peace and is responsible to protect anyone within its borders excepting an enemy of the state or a ninja or something. I read what you said about the U. S. I agree nowhere is really safe and crime happens the same way. The difference between a place like America and Canada versus Costa Rico or Mexico is really the system in place. I think it's easier to get away with crime in a place like Mexico for many reasons so you have to be more vigilant than in many places in America.