Who is responsible for your safety when you travel to other countries for the first time?

If you’re visiting some cities and you don’t know the places you are going to visit even if you are told the city is safe and secure, will you rely on what you had been told but the locals or your take your own precautions I mean you will never know anyway. Not all countries are 100% violence and crime free, not one. Any tourist can be murdered anywhere even if their own country.

For example like you want to take a look at the city or a particular place and go sightseeing so you decide to take a walk by yourself or with another friend, to the city or even go to a beach but at 4am!!! At a time where most people is sleeping and the city , the beach or places could be lonely no people around!! I mean you as a tourist don’t know how things are around the city, you are there for the first time and you don’t take some precautions like why are you going out at 4am to take a walk!!!

Then when tourists are murdered in a foreign country, the country itself end up with a bad image worldwide so tourists stop traveling there in order to avoid being the victims of local crimes and tourists start criticizing that country and may tell other friends or tourists, do not go there because crime is all over and police do not do anything about it to catch the bad people.

If im told that a certain place or spot is safe I will still doubt and don’t rely too much of what they tell me I better take my own precautions.

I post this based that last week 2 tourists were murdered in my country in different beach cities. I sent you the links of those news.

https://news.co.cr/mexican-woman-killed-in-santa-teresa-costa-rica-english-woman-manages-to-escape/74999/

https://news.co.cr/suspect-in-killing-of-spanish-tourist-in-tortuguero-costa-rica-was-arrested/75004/
Updates:
It is really sad and terrible what happened to these tourists but do you think they should had taken a little bit more precautions and more safety?

It is said that the tourist who was murdered in Tortuguero, she visited the city because they were told that place was peaceful and quiet so they rely on what they were told about the place..
Regarding these 2 murders there is a new movement in the country that says "Not a woman less we are not going to live in fear". That movement is to acknowledge the violence against women, so all women are supporting that not only feminists but women in general. They are criticizing the men as they are the ones performing this sexual violence against women, one of the victims it seemed was raped. Also the women is aimed that how come a woman now has to be afraid to walk alone in places.

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• It's costa rica... What do they expect.

I generally trust the US federal guidelines on safe / unsafe countries. Obviously though in poor countries you don't get off the reservation.

Where I live you'd be more likely to murder one of us then us you. You would also be more likely to die of the weather.

0|0
    0|0
    • So US is super safe? plizzz!! I heard news about murders very often on the news from US. No country is the exception only that the laws are different unfortunately but still u have to use common safe and take the necessary precautions.

• You are responsible for your own safety and being in a poor country has nothing to do with it of course crime could be higher sure due to lack of good education, etc but USA even if it is a rich countries, you still get to see people murdered and do bad things so US is no exception.

• I wouldn't necessarily describe USA as safe. (and I didn't) However it's far from the worst.

I was talking about the travel advisories they put out.

It isn't just that the crime rate is higher. There is a lot of reasons. Take for example places where healthcare is poor and you can get hepatitis or HIV.

Or take for example safety. I went to a poor Caribbean country and had a lovely vacation, however we took WW2 amphibious landers for a ride. It was cool and a unique experience but obviously not safe by first world standards.

• #1. It shows that people only care about women. Because 80% of murder victims are men. But people look at the tree because they don't care about the forest. So yeah, if you focus on 1 single aspect of violence (sex), you'll find that women are the majority among this SUBcategory. But the majority of victims are still men and nobody cares and nobody is making a gendered argument on the subject.

#2. Everyone is responsible for himself. You're not responsible of what people do to you but you have a duty to yourself to be responsible and balance between the safety of living recluse and the dangers of exploring the world.

#3. credit cards like visa premier offer good support in case of problems abroad. Wish I had it before a military policeman crashed my rental car and his own car into a bus at 50-60mph in Morocco, with the case being investigated by... his own colleagues and friends who took our passports (probably illegally) a few years ago.

0|0
    0|0
    • I guess if these killings were done to a man, noone will stand up here in Costa Rica defending the man, or saying that regardless he time they (in case they were men) were attacked, that does not give the right for a killer to kil a man but because it were women the vicitims people of course pay more attention to it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Local law enforcement is always responsible for their guests, but the reality is that you still have to look out for yourself. I respect emergency services and law enforcement most of the time, but you have to judge the situation and their behavior and expressions. Sometimes, emergency services and law enforcement themselves don't know wtf is going on.

0|1
    0|0
    • like to go for a walk at 4am at a lonely beach like one of this tourists were doing before she got murdered?

• I am unsure what that has to do with your question. Even in a 4am walk, law enforcement is charged with keeping the peace and is responsible to protect anyone within its borders excepting an enemy of the state or a ninja or something. I read what you said about the U. S. I agree nowhere is really safe and crime happens the same way. The difference between a place like America and Canada versus Costa Rico or Mexico is really the system in place. I think it's easier to get away with crime in a place like Mexico for many reasons so you have to be more vigilant than in many places in America.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 27

• I think you should be cautious anywhere you go nevermind out of your own city/country. Many tourists think that because they are tourists they aren't targets or they have nothing to worry about. Also, many people from other countries are ignorant to their surroundings or cultures or people there and believe that it's going to be the same as back home. It's NOT! It's another country. Unless the culture is similar like me living in Canada going to America, then you have to be aware of your surroundings and the cultural differences you're going to experience and be living within. As well, it's best to abide by the countries laws and customs you're going to. They invited you into their country, so it's only common courtesy to respect that. AS well, it's good to do your own homework on the country you are going to. Check up on criminal activity or what types of things to look out for. Maybe get reviews from others who've ventured to the place you're going to and take into account their experiences.

Hey, like you said, every country has a level of uncertainty and violence still. I used to have home-stays (people from other countries travel to Canada, and stay with us while they go to an English learning school) coming to our home. It was great, and you do get the uncertainty of having a relative stranger from a different country and culture staying with you. But the majority were all pretty good people. Well we had a guy who we were great friends with from Brazil stay with us. He decided to travel back again to visit us after his initial stay. Our city here in Canada is probably one of the safest in the world and very open to outside tourism. Anyhow, he was walking down a pretty busy street at night near our Chinatown with his girlfriend and he suddenly felt something hot and painful in his left eye. Apparently he got hit by a stray bullet from a gang shooting that really rarely happens. He lost his eye-sight in both eyes because of this. What's more to this, he was from Fortaleza in northeastern Brazil, which is pretty heavily crime ridden compared to our city. None the less it's happened and we were stunned at the news. Like my city I can leave the doors open at night and not be afraid of crime.

So please, travel with your head on and safely.

0|0
    0|0
  • well if you are murdered it sort of changes it but generally you are responsible for yourself. if you are murdered due to no wrong doing of your own then your assailant is responsible.

the city, the country, government, etc are not generally responsible unless they were negligent in something

0|0
    0|0
  • First, you have to be smart and avoid trouble. Ask local service workers if it's safe. Local police forces are there to protect tourists as well as locals. Unfortunately the usual forms of personal protection are illegal in many countries.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are responsible for your own safety, 100%. If you are going to another country take the time to do some research and see how safe it is and look to see if there are any tips on places to avoid as a tourist.

0|0
    0|0
    • In the case of the tourists I mention on the site. The one that got murdered in Tortuguero and she was tehr ewith her husband., They trusted what they found ont he internet where it says taht place where they were staying it was quiet and peaceful

• Show All
    • Now in the country where those 2 murders happened there is a womens movement where it sys "Not a woman less". Also some women are saying that just because they were alon that does not mean they have to live in fear because they were alon in a place and it does not give the rights to any agresor to kill womenjust beacuse they were at the wrong time at the wrong place. By this I mean some people are saying "Well why that lady was so late and alone walking" And the women defending the murder vicitm says "Well now a woman can't walk alone, has the freedom to do it so if they want to because there is chance she will get killed " What do u think of that?

• I'm not sure if I'm understanding the question entirely (I took my meds a little while ago so I'm sorta out of it now). But no one should ever have to fear being alone or going out for a walk, not in a perfect world anyways. It's sad, but the world we live in isn't fair and it can be dangerous. Just because you are on vacation doesn't mean you shouldn't make good judgement calls. Ideally any woman should be able to feel safe alone at night or when out on a walk, but there are sick people out there that make doing so particularly more dangerous for a woman. I wish that wasn't the case, and I'm glad those men were caught, but unfortunately this is the world we live in

• You are responsible for your own safety. Plan ahead, know where not to go, don't be completely reliant on other people to get you out if you need to leave, and know how to get to your embassy or consulate in case you need help. Take some self defence classes incase you need fuck up an attacker and know that depending on the county you're in, you may not be able to trust the local authority's. And don't take Amanda Knox with you unless you're cool with spending some time in jail.

0|0
    0|0
  • TLDR: your responsible.
    Im 23 years old and I've been moving from country to country since i was 5 (dont ask) I've lived in 9 different countries 3 of which i did alone from the age of 19.

Its basic commen sense is all i can say "that place looks dodgy lets not go there" "ohh they are sat outside drinking coffee seems nice"

0|0
    0|0
  • Some countries are safer than others and everyone generally knows where the safe countries are.
    If you visit a less friendly country you have to take the risk into account

0|0
    0|0
  • There is a difference between a government locking away foreigners/taking them hostage and a random person committing a crime. I think everyone needs to take their own safety into their own hands with things like this. Google the crime rate and poverty rate in the city/country first, google has almost literally every piece of information you could want. And don't go to tourist cities, locals in poor countries usually know foreigners are stupid and try to steal from them or con them. My parents experienced this recently when they went to Rome. You have to ensure your own safety when travelling, just as the other country isn't responsible for your luggage getting lost, they aren't responsible for your life being lost.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are completely responsible. Not only is it you traveling it's your responsibility to look up how the country is at the time. Not only that but what that country views as right and wrong

0|0
    0|0
  • It's the responsibility of a guy named Jeff in Michigan.

Just kidding, it's your responsibility obviously.

0|0
    0|0
  • Your responsible for you own safety Cuase we all hear stuff that happened to people form other countries, kill for being American , thrown in jail Becuase yr foreign

0|0
    0|0
  • Stupid is what stupid does. Everyone is responsible for their own safety as there is no such thing a 100% safe

0|0
    0|0
    • Well most will say that regardless of the hour the ladies were attack and whether they took precautions or not, no person has the right to kill another one. Whether is a man or a woman. And eahc person has the right to go out alone if they want and not being afraid of being outside alone

• Show All
    • Totally agree with you so I sometimes wonder why women life can be more important than a men life? For me either one, they both are human beings, unless in the case of women it is because we are the one who get pregnant and reproduce and babies have to born for the species to survive.

• I am not a feminist, so I believe men should treat women with reverence. If I treated a women same as a man, I woukd show her no quarter.

• You rely on your instinct and wisdom. In the end if you died that's your problem.

0|0
    0|0
  • I take my own precautions. Id rather look stupid or paranoid than the next time my loved ones see me I'm on a slab in a coroner's office.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are partially responsible to going to a shithole, but it's the person who attacks you fault. And the countrys fault if they don't deal with it.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are responsible for yourself no matter where you are.

0|1
    0|0
  • You are fully responsible for the knowledge regarding your own safety. No one else's.

0|0
    0|0
  • Gorvernment in charge of the place you want to visit

0|0
    0|1
  • You're responsible for your own safety if you are 18 or older

0|0
    0|0
  • I'll take precaution with a pocket knife or a taser or grenade or pepper spray/sauce

0|0
    0|0
  • your are responsible for your own safety

1|1
    0|0
  • Ultimately, you are.

0|1
    0|0
  • I am.

0|0
    0|0
  • No one other than you yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • your self

0|0
    0|0
  • You are

0|0
    0|0
  • Yourself

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 6

• Learn about the culture first before people assume another foreign country shares the same mindset as them. Better to be safe than sorry.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are solely responsible for your own safety. You are to do your own personal background check on things and even on someone you less likely know when getting involved in something that you have less information on. You are making the decision whether or not it is a good choice for “you” to follow through with it. Get to know the realistic pros and cons of each area you plan to visit, possible outcomes, prepare ahead of time, maybe travel with a friend that knows the area better or possibly a guide that you’ve done thorough research on. Get to know a few of the area’s customs and so. Bring a certain amount of funds with you every time you are going out, never walk home or to your hotel alone at nights, think about responsible aspects but have fun doing it.

0|0
    0|0
    • I dont knoe if u read the news on the links attached but the Spanish lady travell to Costa Rica with her husband, she was mugged and attached at 8am while she decided to take a walk very near to the hotel they were staying, the husband di dnot accompany her because I supposed it was a near where she went. I bet the killer was in the bushes where she went for a walk and assaulted her there in the Little forest and trails.

• The husband said that they checked on the internet about the hotel and the town and he found out it was a peaceful and quiet place, that is why they went there.

• @kitty71 I'm sorry. Low crime rate in costa rica? The national average for homicide is 12.1/100,000. It's rated as an endemic for homicide and it's theft rates are always high. The entire country is a crime warning, the idea of a town being labelled as quiet and peaceful (likely by people from the town or by the owners of the hotel) is simply fallacious, he didn't do real research he just read that on the travel agency website.

• It's your own. Study up on the area and ask locals.

0|0
    0|0
  • You and never go somewhere new alone.

0|0
    0|0
  • You are.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm responsible for my safety. And my boyfriend.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes