Why do Scandinavians speak English clearer then other Europeans?

I've noticed that Scandinavians speak English very similarly to Americans, and they are easier to understand than other nationalities who tend to have thicker accents. Why is that?

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

• Scandinavian language are quite near English language so it make it easy to them, learning English is very important to them and they get good education of it.
    In France we're the worst in all Europe with Italy in English XD

0|1
    0|0

Most Helpful Guys

• Yeah this is true. There was a Swedish exchange student in my class before. She said people over there learn English and in school they're taught with American English. Accent wise, American accent just tends to be more easy to understand in my opinion.

0|2
    0|0
  • probably just because their native accent lends to a easier time of speaking English clearly. may have to do with influence on the English language from the nordic visitors centuries ago

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• Because we learn it in school. We start at six years old.

1|3
    0|0
  • It depends on their native language. Your tongue is used to "moving" in a certain way (that sounds weird, I hope you know what I mean lol), so if it's forced to do it in a different way, it's not going to sound "clear".

1|4
    0|0
  • Because their native languages are very close to English.
    Generally, the Dutch have the best English out of all non-native English speaking nationalities, and their language just happens to be the one that is closest to English linguistically.

0|1
    0|0
  • Maybe because they don´t have such a big trouble with learning and speaking English? I´m German and I try my best but I´m sure I have still german accent when I speak English.

0|1
    0|0
  • Is this a joke?

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 17

• Yeah, they do have less traces of an accent than other Europeans, although Dutch are close. I think Germans would if they subtitled US shows and movies rather than dubbing them into German.

0|1
    0|0
  • Its British English that has such hilarious pronounciations for all their words it makes it hard to understand them

0|3
    0|0
  • Yeah, it is germanic language so I guess it is closer linguistically to English. I am slavic but can speak german and English with or without the accent, I also can pronounce words from other languages like french, Spanish and probably others as well in a way that you couldn't tell a difference from a native speaker of that language

0|0
    0|0
  • The Scandinavians developed the Old English language when the Anglo Saxons arrived in England so it would only make sense for the Scandinavian countries to have a high percentage of English speakers. You can see similarities in Swedish/Norwegian/Danish and English, even though English has leaned more Romantic than it used to but that gives a clue as to how Germanic it used to be

0|0
    0|0
  • because most English countries are non rhotic. meaning that they don't pronounce their r's. scandanavian countries and germany/german speaking countries have rhoticism so it's more similar to american/canadian

0|0
    0|0
  • This is fascinating to me because I would love to know a second language. The US education system is so far behind the rest of the world in that regard.

0|0
    0|0
  • The use of our tongue, lips, teeth, tones, and timing is similar to theirs. Not to mention the Latin roots that most languages come from.

0|2
    0|0
  • English is a Germanic language, which makes it closer to the nordic languages than the Latin based languages of southern Europe.

0|0
    0|0
  • Who do you think are the "inventors" of the English language? Danish ancestory.

0|0
    0|0
  • I think its because of the roots of their languages.

0|0
    0|0
  • i think danish and Norwegian and these languages r similar to English

0|0
    0|0
  • Because they speak more English like what you mean?

0|0
    0|0
  • Good school system.

0|0
    0|0
  • I always wondered the same thing.

0|0
    0|0
  • High education.

0|0
    0|0
    • I would like to add, that the first video is a Finnish interviewer (by the sound of his accent).
      Finland is not Scandinavian.
      But this is all beside the point.

• I know that, but the guy being interviewed is Swedish.
      And the guy in the second video is Norwegian

• Anyways, the root of the issue is high education. Kids start learning English as second/third language at third grade, at least here in Finland.

Now you'd need to find a Dane and an Icelandic interview and you'd get the whole Nordic.

• They are robots

0|0
    0|0
  • Girls like scandinavian guys?

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes