Would you use public transport more if it was free?

Would you use public transport more if it was free?
Luxembourg is set to make all public transport free, at point of use, across the whole 999 square mile country as of summer 2019.

At the moment, a day pass, for any public transport, across the country, costs 4 euros. It is currently free on Saturday.

This is clearly an option in a very small, very wealthy country, whereas in most countries, it isn't. Do you think it would incentivise you to use public transport more, if, it came in, in your country?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • I don't know
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 13

• I already use public transport a lot. It's my main mode of transport if I can't walk to my destination. Also, I don't believe it would do good for public transport, since someone has to pay for the upkeep and the salaries of people who work with public transportation. If my country would want to give more money to public transport, that's great. But no need to make it free.

0|1
    0|0
  • I say yes, but I have no issue with using it now and do when I go into the city. Where I live, it isn't available. To rural. I enjoy using it when available.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes but it wouldn't be free. Your public transport is paid for by you the taxpayer.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes I would but as the saying goes, there's no such thing as a free lunch, so we would pay for it in one means or another. using it or not. Don't get me wrong I think it's a great idea but impractical.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would for sure.
    I think trains run for free after midnight during summer to cut down on the drink driving because it's our Christmas season.
    They just need to make it safer.

0|2
    0|0
  • I would if I planned to drink. The thing that puts me off is having to walk to the nearest bus stop & waiting in the cold! I’d only do it if I planned to go out drinking, otherwise I’m taking my car!

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. I dislike public transportation because the Bus is full of students, who are loud and often annoying. Also I live in a small village. The Bus only comes rarely and often to disadvantageous times. I would be too late for work

0|1
    0|0
  • Personally, no. I like the flexibility having my car gives me

0|2
    0|0
  • In my country? No, it's jam packed all the time. The trains and buses gets delayed all the time. It's irritating as hell. But if I lived in other countries, then YES! I would have :)

0|1
    0|0
  • No i wouldn't. It's really not about the price. I love to drive and being on my own.
    Most people on public transports are disgusting and uncivilized.

0|1
    0|0
  • No, I already use it when I can, but that isn't very often since it doesn't go to my job.

0|1
    0|0
  • I already use it so i dont think i would but when i start driving i guess i might keep using it instead

0|1
    0|0
  • I'd use it if it were available to me free or not

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 32

• I haven't owned a car in 12 years, so this wouldn't make a difference for me. I think some localities around the world should institute this policy, although I wonder how they'd be able to keep people from loitering or even living in some train stations.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's actually not that expensive.
    I'd use it more if it was more efficient and got me to more places and they didn't allow crazy people to ride it

0|1
    0|0
  • In the U. S. there isn’t much public transportation. We adopted the personal auto, and as such, built our transportation system around that. It would be nice to have public transport.
    To bring public transport to the U. S. it would require a major under taking to make it feasible, and convenient enough that people adopt it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes.

It would be quicker and easier to get to places e. g. I walk quite far to get to the gym, but getting a bus would be quicker and easier and I'd have more energy, walking the remainder of the way, as it would still take me time to get there from where the bus stops.

The whether isn't the best in the UK now, so it would definitely come in handy right now.

0|1
    0|0
  • The public transport in my home country is all privately owned and costs an absolute fortune despite the fact that they are making record profits. When I lived and worked there, if I had a 4 hour shift, half my shift was spent just working off my transport costs.
    So yes, id definitely use public transport more if it was free.

However, I live in Barcelona now and the transport is so cheap that I don't think it being free would make any difference to my use of it.

0|1
    0|0
  • Would I use it more if it were free... Maybe a bit but my job requires to much movement and there aren't a lot of great routes to get to where I need to go. I'm general I might and it would definitely have the effect you are talking about IN CITIES but most rural areas not so much.

0|1
    0|0
  • Price is not as important to me. To make public transportation more viable it has to have: proximity (close to where I am and need to go), timeliness (frequent enough that my time is not waisted), clean & safe. Meet the criteria and I'll happily pay to ride.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes though surprisingly public transit in Chicago is cheaper than the suburbs. A monthly CTA pass, which works on both trains and buses, is $105 and gets you around most neighborhoods in the city.

A train from the suburbs to the city varies by distance. For me, it’s $195 a month by train and that’s what I have to take to get to work and back and yet it’s still cheaper than driving and parking.

0|1
    0|0
    • 4d

The shitty thing is where I live, which is in the suburbs, you need a car to get around and ever since I totaled my car last month, it’s been impossible to get around. Yes, I have the option of taking and Lyft/Uber but they’re even more expensive in the suburbs than in the city and for short distances too.

• 4d

We got buses out here too, but they only run so often and don’t go to a lot of areas and I’m in a pretty big suburb.

• no, cause in my current situation i get everywhere faster by bike... because the central station is under construction, all the public transport makes a huge detour to the point at which actually walking is faster in many instances. even going by car is often slower than by bike, cause of traffic.

0|1
    0|0
  • I live in the U. S, The problem there is while Public transit is an option for those in the cities or to get into the city. Its not great for say going from one town to another.
    My country is fucking huge, like I live in a state ranked 44th in area, fairly small, its still over 10,000 square miles.
    If I wanted to get to my best friends house in Salem I need a car and vice versa.
    When your country is this big public transit has its limits

0|1
    0|0
  • No, maybe, and this is a big maybe, if there was trans state service. But as far as city transport goes, I hate it with a passion as it is, if it was free it would just be more of a shit show.

0|1
    0|0
  • I doubt it because it's just not practical in my area. That's true for most of the US. Places like the US, Canada and Australia are new countries that are very large and spread out. Most of the infrastructure and design was done after cars became common. So everything about them is set up for the use of single person cars, except in some of the largest cities.

Where I live the population density is too low, and the places people go are far in every direction. I just can't imagine any realistic public transport in my area that wouldn't be a major pain in the arse. It would probably use more fuel than cars because the population density and spread out housing/destinations would mean driving long distances just to transport a few people.

It's not free, but it's already heavily subsidized and people still only use it on a very limited number of routes.

Bottom line is that it has nothing to do with the cost.

0|1
    0|0
  • I do not know, i don't have a public transit system where I live, bedside busses, but the schedule and structure of that system is horrible.

So I do not use it.

0|1
    0|0
  • i would use more public transportation in my city if the public transportation was more efficient and comprehensive

0|1
    0|0
  • Replacing cars with bikes and public transport is probably the best option when we run out of fuels.

Maybe in 20 years roads will be repurposed for bike use.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would use it more if it was more convenient. It is already reasonable $ wise. But in most of California things are too spread out.

When I go to Europe I use it a lot.

0|1
    0|0
  • I use free public transport now. It is called Dial-A-Ride. You book the ride and they pick you up and drive you home again. That alone saves me $30+ a week on gas and no parking issues to worry about.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm being forced to pay for it with my taxes, so might as well use it more often too. I prefer biking though, but during the cold rainy seasons, the public transport is very useful.

0|1
    0|0
  • I know someone that would love this 😂 but like I'd love it too however if it's free then it's gonna be packed constanty

1|1
    0|0
  • Trains are way too expensive here. I wouldn't use them normally if I couldn't use public transport for free.

1|1
    0|0
    • 4d

The train trip I used to take every single day would normally cost me like €35.

Extrapolate that to 3 years of pretty much daily train use.

• Free vs convenient is a big difference. Probably if it was free, but if I had to wait for shit, probably not

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope. I perfer my car. And Europe sure loves taxing folks..

0|2
    0|0
  • It would be nice to use when I’m traveling, but it still wouldn’t help me here

0|1
    0|0
  • I would start using public transport if it was free.

0|1
    0|0
  • Well, nothing is really free. So, that's a lie. But I would use it if it was convenient enough.

0|1
    0|0
  • I wouldn't use public transport even if I was paid to do so!

0|1
    0|0
  • I would if it was reliable. I would pay happily if it was reliable

0|1
    0|0
  • It would definitely help. But i would still own a car.

0|1
    0|0
  • Hell, yeah!! But, who's going to pay for it?

0|1
    0|0
  • It would further demotivate me from getting a car.

0|1
    0|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes