Did you know the U. S. isn't the only country to use the standard system?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miles_per_hour

Aside from Myanmar and Liberia, which were the other notable ones that refused to go metric, I just learned from our good friend @JimRSmith, that the Brits and several of their former colonies, also use the standard system.

All this talk about, "the U. S. needing to switch to metric, and catch up to the rest of the world." It turns out we're not so stubborn after all.
  • Of course I knew this, you moron!
    Vote A
  • What the hell? The U. K. doesn't use the metric system? This is news to me
    Vote B
  • JimRSmith is fucking with you, and you fell for it
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|1

Most Helpful Guys

• It's not "standard system", it's called Imperial system.
    Yeah, it's used in less than 5% of countries in the world, and those are all mostly dependencies or semi-independent 3rd world countries like Samoa, Dominica, Grenada, Puerto Rico etc... USA and UK are the only 1st world countries using it.
    All other developed countries use Metric system.

1|2
    0|0
    • Thank you for MHO

• Its called the "Imperial system" for a reason. Also the Imperial system is actually already based on the international system in the first place, as in they have a kilogram weight they use to calibrate how much a pound is etc..

1|2
    0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• Yeah, I knew that. When was in 5th grade we learned the metric system at school because it was thought that the US would adopt it as well.

0|0
    0|0
  • I had no idea but then again K never would have wondered. If we used the metric system though it certainly wouldn't hurt. For example everything would be easier less conversions even if they are easy to do, easier business communications in foreign countries, and makes it way easier when working in things like cars because we would only have metric

0|2
    0|0
    • I actually find it more difficult

• Show All
    • The metric system isn't intuitive. It's all based around a random measurement, whereas the imperial system can quickly be roughly taught to anybody with any sense. Like an inch being approximate to a finger joint, a foot to a foot etc.

Imperial feels more natural because it really is.

• That's fair I've never considered that. However I dont find metric to be that bad conversions are quite easy and everybody in my business dealing overseas communicates back with me on my design in metric. Also in a base sense I do use metric in everyday life when I change a battery I immediatley grab a 10mm wrench because I know to take it off I'll need that. That said for in general thinking I agree and what you said makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the information good sir!

• Yeah I knew. Liberia was basically an American colony where former slaves went to, and even though most of the Americo-Liberians were killed off the early 2000s they never switched.

I don't know the backstory of the Burmese though, but I knew they don't use the metric system.

0|2
    0|0
    • It was never a colony. It was established by the U. S. as a home for freed slaves. Yeah, my geography teacher thought they switched, but they're still on standard.

I don't know why Myanmar uses it either.

• The fuck is the standard system? Metric seems pretty standard to me. Imperial doesn't. But no the UK and its former colonies don't use the imperial system, even if a number of individuals may choose to do that.

1|1
    0|0
    • We call it "standard system" here
      This is the first time I've heard it reffered to as the "Imperial System"

• Show All
    • There definitely have been plans and as far as I know they have never been abolished?

• There were indeed plans, but it's been a very long time since any of them were moved forward, and I suspect these have now been quietly abandoned.

• UK is half and half.
    Temperature is always C°
    Height of people is feet
    Height of buildings is metres
    Distance is miles
    Speed is mph
    Weight is mostly kg

0|2
    0|0
    • That makes a lot more sense. JimRSmith weight is in lbs

• Show All
    • Not where I live , metric is used every day in the county of Bedfordshire.

• It's not in the county of Cheshire.

• We use metric units in the USA as well. People in other countries just complain because they want to emigrate here and don't want to learn anything new. It's not like it's hard to comprehend that there are 2.2 LB in a kg or 1 mile is 1.6 km. They’re just lazy fucks that can’t do arithmetic.

0|1
    0|0
  • The US just gets the focus of everything. We are the relevant country everyone pays attention too. I personally use either system. I do some design and computer aided drawing. I switch between which ever I think will work better for me.

0|1
    0|0
  • I hate metric. All my cars are in SAE. yes most are that old. So almost all my tools are in inch. Then USA car makers thought it was a good idea to start with metric. So cars from the 80s are both. What a pain in the ass. Now as I work on newer cars I now have to buy a metric set of tools. What a nother pain in the ass.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's called Imperial System. Mainly from the old British Empires. US used to be one of the colonies. They stuck with it.

Canada is the same. Still use pounds and stuff but only informally. Kilo, Mega, Giga, Micro... etc.

0|2
    0|0
  • Who cares. No one writes in cursive or speaks latin anymore. Let's go back to that. Lol

0|1
    0|0
    • I know. My uncle send us a letter in cursive, and we literally had to google "Cursive to Normal Writing" to be able to read it

• It's actually a myth that the US is not using the metric system. The most important stuff like most engineering documentation , scientific literature and booze container size comes in pretty standardized metric. For the rest a lot of it is dual from what i have experienced whenever I have gone to the US.

0|0
    0|0
  • The UK still uses both, but Metric is our standard system, in line with the EU. The other system is Imperial, named after the greatest empire in world history.

0|1
    0|0
  • The US does use metric. But you can't force a unit of measure on people. They can use whatever they want. In everyday life, most people use standard units for most things. The US was at the forefront of developing metric in the first place, but people choose not to use it.

But yea, there are several countries that are not metric. Even many of the supposed metric countries are not entirely metric.

I don't know why people make such a big deal out of this. It doesn't freaking matter what unit people use. They can use whatever they want and are comfortable with. Personally I'm against entirely switching to metric in the US. It would be extremely costly and a pain in the rear, with no good significant benefit.

But seriously, why do people care so much about this?

0|0
    0|0
  • I don't know why it is used.

0|0
    0|0
  • I rather prefer the easy system lol, its not a matter of countries, its a matter of mentality.

0|0
    0|0
  • Imperial system*

0|2
    0|0
  • Yes.

0|1
    0|0
  • Of course I knew this, you moron!

0|1
    0|0
  • @Jjpayne what do you think

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah

People didn’t know that?

0|0
    0|0
    • Apparently not. Even my geography teachers never mentioned this. They said the U. S. and Myanmar were the only two.

• We do what we like.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes and it's such a dumb system I've gradually switched to the metric system.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended myTakes