Do you agree or disagree with this categorisation of European capitals as interesting to visitors? Tier 1 being best, Tier 3 being worst etc?

NB - microstates are excluded

Tier 1

Edinburgh, Stockholm, Copenhagen, Riga, Vilnius, Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Amsterdam, Luxembourg, Paris, Lisbon, Rome, Sarajevo, Valletta, Kiev

Tier 2

Belfast, Dublin, Oslo, Helsinki, Tallinn, Minsk, Nicosia, Sofia, Belgrade, Zagreb, Ljubljana

Tier 3

Brussels, Cardiff, Bratislava

Hard to classify

London, Madrid, Warsaw, Athens

Unvisited

Berlin, Bucharest, Cetinje, Skopje, Moscow, Tirana, Chisinau

1026

Most Helpful Guys

• As someone who lives in Bratislava, I can certainly agree on that one.
    But I personally find Athens more interesting than places such as Prague, Vienna, Budapest, Warsaw and the like.

As someone who grew up in that kind of Slavo-Germanic central European culture, it comes across as quite boring to me.
    Unless you have very high tolerance for old town buildings, you are probably going to find it very samey.

• Why is Athens hard to classify?

• I think because it combines some of the treasures of civilisation, with some of the worst pollution, congestion and unplanned urban sprawl in Europe. The ancient stuff is incredible, and the rest is incredible in a far less positive sense...

• I've heard that Greece's infrastructure wasn't the best - mostly due to geography. Didn't know it was that bad.

Most Helpful Girls