Have you ever had your hair cut abroad?

Have you ever had your hair cut abroad?

One of my little peculiarities is a willingness, which many apparently lack, to have my hair cut in places where the people cutting my hair don't speak English.

As far as I can recall, I've had haircuts in the following countries, where communication was not a problem

1. New Zealand
2. Australia
3. The US
4. South Africa

Additionally, I've had haircuts in

1. Belgium
2. France
3. Switzerland
4. Italy
5. Serbia
6. Poland
7. Hong Kong
8. Uzbekistan

I only really came unstuck with the last one, which was also the cheapest, and performed by a boy who really should have been in school, not working as a barber.

Is this something you would avoid, or are you up for the challenge?
  • Yes
  • No, but I would
  • No, and I wouldn't
    Vote C

1316

Most Helpful Guys

• It hasn't been a problem for me.
    No matter where I go, there's always a Chinese/Japanese/Korean hairstylist. Seriously, no matter where I go in the world, no matter which city, there's always at least one. As long as you keep to the cities. I've never tried looking for one out in the hinterlands... so there is that.

I prefer to go to an East Asian hair stylist because, unfortunately, a lot of white hair stylists do not know how to cut and style Asian hair in the hairstyles we normally have in China, Japan, Korea. Asian hair is the thickest and fastest-growing (and straightest) among all hair types, so the average white hairstylist isn't used to dealing with it and asking for something like a "feathered", "angular upturn", cut is usually beyond their expertise.

Unless of course, you want a crew cut (or go bald ala Vin Diesel) - then any decent barber in the world would be able to do the job.

• I've had problems with this too. I actually keep photos of how it should be cut. The worst was this really flamboyant, obviously gay as a row of tents hair dresser in Switzerland who insisted on improving upon the pictures he was shown.
    I ended up looking like a member of a late 90's boy band.

• 11 d ago

Yep, I have a photo in my phone for this purpose, now, too!

• 11 d ago

Yeah I never used to do it until a barber actually suggested it to me and he took the photos after he did a perfect job of cutting my hair

Most Helpful Girls

• I've had my hair cut/done for a do in foriegn places (mainly cause of a wedding) where English wasn't the first language and I was unable to communicate in the country's language. I simply show them a picture of what I want and use hand gestures lol

Countries I've had my hair done where I could not communicate were Italy and Thailand.