Have you ever had your hair cut abroad?

Have you ever had your hair cut abroad?

One of my little peculiarities is a willingness, which many apparently lack, to have my hair cut in places where the people cutting my hair don't speak English.

As far as I can recall, I've had haircuts in the following countries, where communication was not a problem

1. New Zealand
2. Australia
3. The US
4. South Africa

Additionally, I've had haircuts in

1. Belgium
2. France
3. Switzerland
4. Italy
5. Serbia
6. Poland
7. Hong Kong
8. Uzbekistan

I only really came unstuck with the last one, which was also the cheapest, and performed by a boy who really should have been in school, not working as a barber.

Is this something you would avoid, or are you up for the challenge?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No, but I would
    Vote B
  • No, and I wouldn't
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

1|2

Most Helpful Guys

• It hasn't been a problem for me.
    No matter where I go, there's always a Chinese/Japanese/Korean hairstylist. Seriously, no matter where I go in the world, no matter which city, there's always at least one. As long as you keep to the cities. I've never tried looking for one out in the hinterlands... so there is that.

I prefer to go to an East Asian hair stylist because, unfortunately, a lot of white hair stylists do not know how to cut and style Asian hair in the hairstyles we normally have in China, Japan, Korea. Asian hair is the thickest and fastest-growing (and straightest) among all hair types, so the average white hairstylist isn't used to dealing with it and asking for something like a "feathered", "angular upturn", cut is usually beyond their expertise.

Unless of course, you want a crew cut (or go bald ala Vin Diesel) - then any decent barber in the world would be able to do the job.

0|1
    0|0
  • I've had problems with this too. I actually keep photos of how it should be cut. The worst was this really flamboyant, obviously gay as a row of tents hair dresser in Switzerland who insisted on improving upon the pictures he was shown.
    I ended up looking like a member of a late 90's boy band.

0|1
    0|0
    • 11 d ago

Yep, I have a photo in my phone for this purpose, now, too!

• 11 d ago

Yeah I never used to do it until a barber actually suggested it to me and he took the photos after he did a perfect job of cutting my hair

Most Helpful Girls

• I've had my hair cut/done for a do in foriegn places (mainly cause of a wedding) where English wasn't the first language and I was unable to communicate in the country's language. I simply show them a picture of what I want and use hand gestures lol

Countries I've had my hair done where I could not communicate were Italy and Thailand.

1|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• South Korea and Bosnia. Everywhere else i spoke the language

0|1
    0|0
  • In Poland. 2011. She messed it up so bad, it will never be the same again.

0|1
    2|0
  • Lmao. Why is this a thing?

My guy and his friends always talk about this. Wherever they travel they have to get their hair cut and they compare notes on cost and service.

I don’t get it, it’s a haircut... for guys.

1|2
    0|0
  • Weird that men are the most unwilling to cut their hair abroad, when their haircuts look almost always the same. The risk in cutting hair as a woman is way bigger. Not much can go wrong for a man

1|1
    0|0
  • Considering I have waist long hair, I rarely get a haircut which I can plan months in advance. So to answer your question, yes I have gotten a haircut abroad.

1|2
    0|0
  • Besides the Philippines & the USA?
    1. South Korea
    2. On board a ship cruising on Mexican waters
    3. Canada
    4. France
    5. Thailand
    6. Singapore

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, I have but mostly in Westernised English speaking countries, e. g. America and simply because I've been there for a length of time.

0|1
    0|0
  • I haven't. I don't get my hair cut professionally anyway. I think it's a waste of money with my hairstyle.

0|1
    0|0
  • I was in France, I know the language but the prices were too expensive (50€), in my country it would have cost me around 3€

0|2
    0|0
  • I shave my own head so I'm good. Always take my trimmer with me. Can't be looking like an old tennis ball.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would rathspend my money on something else if I am abroad

0|2
    0|0
  • No I'm afraid of getting a European haircut that they'll give me a bowl style haircut a big bowl around my head like in the movie Dumb and Dumber with Jim Carrey

0|1
    0|0
  • Lol majority of the time my grandma cuts my hair. And added bonus is that I'm also fed after that.

1|1
    0|0
  • Not only have I never had my hair cut in another country, I now cut my own hair.

0|1
    0|0
  • Not a hair cut per say, but I got my hair braided when I went to Jamaica.
    It hurt like hell as they were too tight.

0|1
    0|0
  • Iraq once alongside Brazil and Russia, a good few years ago !

0|1
    0|0
  • Nope, but I just got a bad haircut last week. She freaking made it uneven!

0|1
    0|0
  • China. Even though I said 'not too hard' regarding the massage, it was still vigorous. Great haircut/scalp massage combo!

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah. England is kinda abroad for me. It was a tenner, so a nice deal.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes I have but most of the time I just cut it myself.

0|1
    0|0
  • I have never even been abroad, so no lol

1|2
    0|0
  • Yeah, once.

0|1
    0|0
  • not that i can recall

0|1
    0|0
  • I cut my own hair. It's a shave job, to easy.

0|1
    0|0
  • I would try it

0|1
    0|0

Recommended myTakes