Do you think Pit bull type dogs are more of a risk to own than other breeds?

Anonymous
I know at one point I believed other people when they said pit bulls that attack and kill other animals and people only do it if they are trained to fight or they are abused and neglected. I had met a few family pit bulls prior to this belief and they were really sweet. So I had no reason to not believe otherwise. I wasn't educated about breeding and genetics. And how man selectively bred dogs to behave in certain ways. It wasn't until after the most horrific day of my son's and my life. I had a neighbor friend who had a family pit bull named Buddy. I say family pit bull because she had two kids around my son's age. Buddy was sweet and had a good temperament with her kids and her year old grandbaby. She raised buddy from a pup and he seemed like a normal dog. I remember she would say things like, "It's all in how you raise them," or "It's the owners and not the dogs that are bad". I never had a reason to disbelieve her opinion in this matter. But one day she asked if I could watch buddy at my house because her son who had a seizure disorder had a bad one and she didn't know how long she'd be at the hospital with him. I said of coarse. I'd been around him enough to know he was a good dog. My 5 yr old son and a few of his friends were kneeling at our coffee table building legos. I went to look over his shoulder to see what he built when buddy jumped on him playfully. Once he got him to the ground he gripped onto his head. I tried to choke buddy hoping he'd let go but it took a few mins before he did. I fell back, lost my grip and he gripped onto my son's head again. It took another few mins of choking him before he let go. My son went into emergency surgery that night as he had 2 lacerations and a large chunk of his scalp missing. The surgeon asked me what kind of dog it was and I said a family pit bull. He said pit bulls should not be family dogs. I later learned the statistics and that pit bull type dogs kill more animals and people than every other breed combind.
Do you think Pit bull type dogs are more of a risk to own than other breeds??
Yes pit bull type dog's were selectively bred to attack a certain way because they were bred for blood sports.
No because pit bull type dogs have to be trained, abused, or neglected to attack unprovoked and grip on. But if you raise them right they won't
I don't care what statistics say. The victims lie about what happened to cause the pit to attack.
Vote C
Pit bulls are as safe as any other dog.
Vote D
GirlGuy
8
4