New York is the site of the first successful terrorist truck attack in the US. Is this only the beginning?

Anonymous
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-york-city-terror-attack-truck-crash-lower-manhattan-live-updates/?ftag=CNM-00-10aac3a

8 dead, 12, so far, injured. Rented truck plowed into bikers on a biking path and a school bus with children on it. Suspect is alive and in the hospital.

This is only the beginning. How do we protect ourselves against acts like this?
+1 y
I'll specify: First attack where the suspect purposefully runs his vehicle into a crowd of pedestrians. Similar to the attacks carried out in places like Nice and London. Though as far as I know no one has claimed responsibility for this yet.

+1 y
This was the first attack in the US where the suspect used the Isis sanctioned method of talking a truck into civilians. The suspect was confirmed to have done this for Isis.
The beginning I was referring to was the beginning of more attacks like this, a concern because of the unpredictable nature of this kind of attack. The question was more or less hypothetical because there is no way to prevent or protect yourself some an attack like this, save for excellent dodge-roll skills.
99
22