A kangaroo has died at a Chinese zoo today after being injured by tourists throwing rocks at it. What are your thoughts on this?

A 12 year old female kangaroo died of its injuries today at a Chinese zoo because adult tourists threw rocks at it in attempt to make it hop.

I’m saddened and angered by this. I think zoos should increase their security so they can catch people doing these things. In the article I read, they said the staff saw the visitors do this but the visitors denied it.

Do you think zoos need more security to prevent more incidents like this happening again?
Updates:
Edit: the article also said a second kangaroo was injured after visitors threw a brick at it. That one survived. And after the rocks in the area were gone, the visitors went elsewhere to find rocks to throw. Like wtf? People suck!

0|2

Most Helpful Guys

• Wow!!! Thats human nature for you. I wonder what would happen if I threw rocks at kid to make play? Animals are however not as important as humans. But that does not mean we can or should be cruel to animals. They should be treated with dignity and respect. I believe humans are given charge to protect them and they should do so in the best way possible. I do have confession, as a kid I threw rocks at my dog. I was scared of him. I don't remember why I did though. I think I was trying to play with him or get him to move. I don't remember it being like bad, just little rocks and pepples, it was a gravel driveway. I really miss that dog and I was too young to know what I had. I always thought he was chasing me to bite me but my dad said he would have only licked you to death. Oh... Regrets...

0|0
    0|0
    THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • But you were a child. I played too rough with my rabbit when I was like 3. It didn’t make it. But these people were adults!

• Yeah, that's sad... Hopefully this will cause China to become more involved in cases like this. I hope the zoo, not just the guests, get charges for cruelty to animals and hopefully have to address this and make changes so it at least is less likely to happen again

• Thanks for the MHG!!! Hopefully this incident has changed some part of their policy

• The Chinese don't give a fuck about animals the way we do in the West. I was gonna post some pics as examples but they'd be too shocking to many people, but you probably have to see it to believe it - for example it's common for them to boil dogs alive to eat.

1|2
    0|0
    • Someone already linked me an article about them selling live turtles and other marine creatures in key chains. That was enough for me.

• Yeah I've seen things like that too, but the boiling dogs alive is something else, it makes me rage. I'm not some vegan hippie, I don't mind hunting and eating meat but I don't know how they can pretty much torture the animal to death slowly rather than kill it instantly and not feel any guilt.

• Jesus I'm not even religious but that sounds like some devil shit.

Most Helpful Girls

• Thoroughly disgusted, but not surprised. The Chinese are some of the biggest animal abusers in the world.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes. My mom is a cat lover and she said she would never go to China because they eat cats there.

• The Chinese also have really lax and narrow guidelines for the proper care and treatment of animals. Very few species are even protected under their laws. I found this out when I learned about these horrific keepsakes: www.snopes.com/fact-check/chinese-turtle-keyrings/

1|0
    0|0
    • Oh yeah! I saw a video about those live animal keychains. I also a undercover video of China’s cat and dog meat industry. They were treated badly.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 64

• [I AM NOT CHINESE AND THIS MIGHT NOT BE TRUE ENTIRELY]

Okay from what I know (might not be 100% correct), China has no animal rights laws that prevent animal abuse.

Adult tourists makes sense. This would probably not happen with the younger tourists.

All of this probably stems back from the 1950s-1970s when Mao decided to stop the Four Olds

Old Ideas, Old Customs, Old Culture, and Old Habits.

They basically made people destroy their own schools, chinese historical sites, architecture, etc and move to the countryside to be farmers (communist 101: making the most powerful people the farmer)

This led to widespread illiteracy and a destruction of chinese culture. The entire generation of kids grew up to be selfish, get ahead in ANY way they could (notice how they sometimes do not care about wildlife, safety-- the melamine in milk powder incident, etc?)

So for an adult to have been so cruel, you can say the upbringing of that generation and its milder effects on their kids can be the cause of it.

However the younger generation are said to be very kind and nice people. The adults are sometimes called the "Lost generation".

Its absolutely crazy how 5000 years of chinese culture was so badly degraded in just a 2-3 generations under Communism.

0|0
    0|0
    • To more accurately assume why this happened, there should be more context to this story. Maybe a source link to the story?

• Kangaroos are stupid, they should hop around for my entertainment if they want to live. If you're dumb enough to be offended by this I hope you catch a brick with your forehead.

1|0
    3|2
    • I got to respect your opinion

• Show All
    • That's good, congratulations! I wish more people were willing to try it

• I'd enjoy watching the visitors hop around like kangaroos and the keepers throwing the stones back at visitors 'to make them to sleep'.

• That’s pretty awful. I also read about a baboon in Russia that had to undergo alcohol addiction treatment because kept throwing vodka bottles to her.

1|1
    0|0
  • If they catch the people, I think a lengthy prison sentence in a Chinese prison might be fitting... Or maybe some kind of mental health treatment in a mental hospital?
    Srsly think about it, who the fuck stones a caged animal? That's some serious psychopath type shit right there.

1|0
    0|0
  • I think different cultures see animals in different ways, I've heard of the Chinese doing much much worse to animals, I won't mention what animal or what they do, but they have a yearly tradition and its pretty savage, it's happened for many many years and probably won't stop soon, it's sad what happened, and I can't imagine being stoned to death ever, but there's much worse that happens there and a lot of other places

0|0
    0|0
  • Well... it's CHINA you know !! Who knows what fucked up laws they have concerning that? If it were here in the USA, they'd be prosecuted. I like the idea of putting them in the kangaroo cage and having the zoo personnel throw rocks at THEM !! But as the guy below said, it will probably turn out that the rock MADE them do it, and it's the rock's fault.

0|0
    0|0
  • I expect nothing less and usually far worse from China. They are a culture with worryingly low empathy and compassion for animals and other humans.

0|0
    0|0
  • Zoos should not just exit simply to entertain people with exotic animals, there purpose should be to protect these animals just as much as it is a business, many zoo animals are considered endangered species and zoos should be protecting these animals rather than simply use them to make money

0|0
    0|0
  • There should be more of new style zoos... tourists in cages on trucks, driving slow through the landscape where the animals are living, really big area, natural habitat

But people are dump in general...

0|0
    0|0
  • My thoughts: retarded savages who should be put in cages and set on fire.

2|2
    0|0
  • Only reason you should ever kill another animal. You're in a survival situation and it is very hard to find an abundant source of edible vegetation. But you notice there are animals in the area. You will most likely starve if you don't hunt and eat the animal. A wild lion would not hesitate to mull your ass in the wild. It's a fight for survival. However, if you're just throwing shit at animals for amusement, that's another story. I believe that everyone should be held accountable for their actions, especially if they are inhumane. They should be stoned to death as well.

1|1
    0|0
  • I don't really understand how something like that happens... I think those people deserve to be confined and stoned..

1|0
    0|0
  • I'd enjoy watching the visitors hop around like kangaroos and then the keepers throwing the stones back at visitors 'to make them to sleep'.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's wrong that animals are kept on display in first place and now this...
    I just hope people like them live a life of torture and suffering and then die an even worse and slow death...

0|0
    0|0
  • I think Zoo's are in general a torture for some animals, who need a large habitat.. But this is another topic.
    Throwing rocks at a kangoroo is just ill. Those people should be punished. May I ask where this happend?

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes, zoos need more security.
    And these guys need to be thrown rocks at.

0|1
    0|0
  • Zoos should be shut down altogether and the people who threw rocks should be slaughtered like a cow.

1|1
    0|0
  • There are cameras aren't there? Are the people getting prosecuted? It's china anyway, where it's legal to boil dogs and cats alive. China literally has no animal right statutes.

0|0
    0|0
  • They should definitively be punished. For example if this happened in America then they have to pay some hundreds of dollars as a fine and are banned from Zoos in the state.

0|0
    0|0
  • Are we sure it's not a Saudi Arabian zoo? Or just a random woman in a random Saudi town?

0|0
    0|0
  • More from Guys

What Girls Said 31

• How sad. I'm not surprised at all. China has a terrible track record when it comes to their treatment of animals and the general attitude about animals there. They're okay with eating dog and cat meat, and animal testing is required for all cosmetic products sold there.

1|1
    0|0
  • This is why I hate zoos. I really admire preservations, for keeping the animals happy and in a more natural environment and I feel like the people who go to preservations are more respectful. I get that zoos can be fun and looking at all the different animals can be exciting, but for the most part I feel it’s inhumane. God did not create animals for us to point and stare at and keep in confinement :(

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes I do. Adequate supervision and security could have totally prevented this issue. Many people may respond and say that they do not have the appropriate funding to implement this. However, I believe that if there is not enough money to properly house these creatures then the zoo should not run. We have a responsibility to these animals once we make the decision to keep them in captivity.

0|0
    0|0
  • Wtf is wrong with people? This country they would have been removed and charged.

That said, in this country a woman shut a giraffes head in a window and nothing’s been done. I’m fuming.

I do not understand people on any level who look at animal as an object for abuse or sexual gratification. It’s just so horrendous

0|0
    0|0
  • As a person who saved 39 animals day before they should be murdered I need to say that I hate zoos. They deserve freedom just like we do. I've seen everything, my team saved so many dogs before Yulin festival and I can say that humans are the worst creatures ever

0|0
    0|0
  • The tourist should learn how to act in a zoo..
    But what I can't believe here is that the ones that throw the rocks were adults...

I kinda would have understood if it was kids, but adults (oh hell no..)

0|0
    0|0
  • There are more important problems in the world that anger me. However, the death of the kangaroo is saddening.

2|0
    0|0
  • Seriously that’s the most messed up story I’ve heard in a while. What’s wrong with people

0|0
    0|0
  • I wanna throw rocks back at those people to make them feel the same way as that kangaroo.

0|0
    0|0
  • That’s terrible and disgusting. I can’t believe people would do that. I hope they pay for there actions

0|0
    0|0
  • That shows how stupid people can be. Lock his ass up for rest of his sad life

0|0
    0|0
  • They should be prosecuted with animal cruelty if they have that law there.
    People like this make me sad and angry too. :(

0|0
    0|0
  • Isn’t this illegal? Those mf’s should go to jail. If the staff saw this, it should have been stopped immediately. This makes me very sad and mad.

0|0
    0|0
  • Sometimes people can be quite pathetic. I’m disappointed in those who tried to hurt them.

0|0
    0|0
  • Lock them in a prison cell throw rocks watch them run.

0|0
    0|0
  • Some people are just evil.

0|2
    0|0
  • Who throws bricks at an animal

0|0
    0|0
  • Get more security

0|0
    0|0
  • That's sad