New survey finds many Americans (particularly millennials and generation Z) are suffering from loneliness, what do you think is the reason?

scarlett
"A nationwide survey by the health insurer Cigna... finds that loneliness is widespread in America, with nearly 50 percent of respondents reporting that they feel alone or left out always or sometimes."

"Members of Generation Z, born between the mid-1990s and the early 2000s, had an overall loneliness score of 48.3. Millennials, just a little bit older, scored 45.3. By comparison, baby boomers scored 42.4. The Greatest Generation, people ages 72 and above, had a score of 38.6 on the loneliness scale."

Article here. I'm actually very surprised by these results. I would have thought the elderly population would feel more "lonely" than other age groups.

Why do you think so many people, especially young people, are reporting that they are lonely?

Follow-up poll question: do you feel lonely on a daily basis? If so, how has it affected you?
I feel lonely in my daily life but I don't think it has affected my mental health or well-being
I feel lonely in my daily life and I do feel like it has affected my mental health and well-being
I do not feel lonely in my daily life
Vote C
Other/See Results
Vote D
GirlGuy
67
18