Is it ok to harass someone eating dinner at a restaurant because you disagree with their politics?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/20/us/kirstjen-nielsen-protesters-restaurant.html

Kirstjen Nielsen, the secretary of homeland security, got an earful while she was eating dinner at a Mexican restaurant in Washington on Tuesday night.

With tensions continuing to escalate over the Trump administration’s “zero tolerance” immigration policy that separates children from their families after illegal crossings at the border, a group of protesters confronted her.

“If kids don’t eat in peace, you don’t eat in peace,” the protesters shouted...

• That is ok, i would do that if i didn't like them
    Vote A
  • That is not ok. that is petty af
    Vote B
  • I think its funny
    Vote C
  • I'd kick the protesters asses
    Vote D
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Point is there’s a time and a place to protest and while they are eating dinner is not it
Since people are getting upset about this, let me rephrase my question:

Is it ok or acceptable to go into a private restaurant to harass a public official for the policies they implement?

4|6

Most Helpful Guy

• Even though I'm appalled by separating children from their parents. I'm equally appalled that other people would think they are in the right by yelling in a public restaurant.

0|4
    1|0
    • I find that very reasonable!

• Show All
    • @Izumiblu Try to do a little mroe research. most democrats were furious with this at the time. the link is from a Conservative newspaper. Do a better job.

• @Jonny317 All you have to do I watch the video. All you have to do is recognize that most democrats don't recognize this occurred under the Obama administration. Even right now, they deflect and deny. Try to deal in fact and not conflate things to be equal, because they aren't.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 33

• No... It's rude.
    But hey, if it isn't illegal people won't really care - they'll just do what they want to do.

1|4
    4|8
    • *But it IS ironic she's eating mexican... if she's also deporting them and separating them from their kids... Haha Sorry... dark humor, but it works.
      (No idea who she is, though.)

• Show All
    • @Surely LEGAL immigrants can. Not illegal ones. They don't have to be citizens, but they at least have to have legal residency. And immigrants have to pay taxes like everyone else.

• @ZeussLightningBolt If you say so, but I have spoken with several business owners and they all agree with what I said on the tax issue.

• I think once you decide to be a high ranking politician you are no longer a private person. So yes, I believe it is absolutely ok to voice your displeasure while they are eating dinner. If they wish to not be disturbed, they can eat at home or have dinner in a private room.
    They are not celebrities or anything. They signed up for this and if they manage to become this unpopular then they don't deserve more.

1|2
    1|2
    • On the same note, if the parents didn't illegally cross the boarder, then their children would not have been taken away. So once you do something illegal, or become a politician, then you have to pay the consequences of the law and public opinion?

• Show All
    • @Jonny317 I really have no idea what your question is. Besides you being like the Democrat Politicians and voting against anything that might make a lick of sense for the American citizens without putting your ideas on the table. But I am glad that there a people like you, because since you understand the immigrant situation so well, I am sure that the slightly illegal ones that you mentioned, would be welcome to come to your house, come in uninvited or break in if you lock the doors and help themselves to anything you may have in there and worked for. Since once they are in your home (country) you can not get rid of them.
      I know of a non US family living near me that get renters assistance, utility assistance and probably reduced or free medical. I bet you can't guess where that assistance money comes from?
      As for this conversation, I have better things to do. Have a wonderful day!

• @Surely lol whatever

• It's not ok. But you can't expect too much from the general public.
    And of course if you say something back your comments are going to be taken out of context and splashed across the world. So its best to ignore people like that. You aren't going to please everyone.

0|5
    0|0
  • You should have privacy and be allowed to eat in peace. I have had restaurant owners come up to our table and pull up a chair to ask me all about the last book i had published or my famous clients or whether or not palmistry is better than tarot card readings. Rude. I have also had people come up to me in restaurants etc thinking they can talk to me as if they are a client who has made an appointment and paid. So I am very selective about where I go now.

0|1
    0|0
  • Never. We have freedom in this country to believe in what ever we choose and to express that and speak about it, without fear of persecution or imprisonment or death and to let others do so as well. That's what true freedom is but, when you start imposing your views, and beliefs on others and threaten or try to take away their human rights (like the right to sit down in a public establishment and have a meal without fear of violence or harassment ) if they don't adopt YOUR views and YOUR Beliefs and vote the way YOU do, then you are slowly undoing the very freedom that makes this country so, great. and you are absolutely 100%wrong.

2|5
    0|0
  • If you’re a public official, any time you’re in public is a time for your constituents to voice their opinions of you and your policies.

Don’t like it, don’t go into politics.

2|3
    2|0
  • When you are a public official out in public, you are NEVER exempt from hearing the voice of your constituents. When you are in your home or on your own property, that is the ONLY exception in my book. Felt the same way about Pence and the cast of "Hamilton". You are a public servant. Period.

by the way, they weren't protesting her politics, they were protesting FOR human rights. Human rights violations and the consequences they bring don't stop because you are having dinner at a fancy restaurant.

1|3
    2|3
    • THANK you. What is so hard about this for people to understand? Holy shit.

• Show All
    • @Anon-ymous1 I just tried to use a bigger text so you could read it better because you where so easily confused. I figured maybe it was poor eyesight that was making you not understand a very simple concept (break the law = bad things happen). I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, now I see its just you being stupid and that's why you can't grasp the concept, my mistake.

• @hellionthesagereborn Not enough emojis or capitals. I don't understand. Help me out.

• I don't think it's okay. It is rude, especially when out in public. I believe the proper course of action is to settle the matter later in a more private location. Remember that everyone can have whatever opinion they please! That is what makes America great.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's not ok, but to be expected and not surprising at this point.

0|2
    0|0
  • No it's completely wrong. The fact that people automatically hate anyone who even disagrees with them is going to be the downfall of our country.

0|5
    0|0
  • I am not into politics so much but I dont think harassment is acceptable no matter what and there should always be a decent way of saying things whether in agreement or not

0|1
    0|0
  • I mean its more that she's separating kids and allowing them to be abused and lost.

0|3
    0|0
  • No, but it's fine to do so for the actions that they've taken.

0|3
    0|1
  • It’s not okay. I’d fucking beat the shit out of them.

0|3
    0|2
    • Yes, and then they sue your ass as it lands in jail for the next ten years. Way to go! Because words hollered at you during dinner should be equalized with beating somebody up. Makes good sense.

• Show All
    • @errorgoodnameunfound she did NOT THROW ANY STONE AT THEM. Get that through your head. She is the secretary of homeland security who supported a decision legally made by the leader of her nation, which /passed in Court/. The backbone of our disagreement is you seem to thing she’s at fault for something- she wasn’t doing anything. She is the victim here.

• You still misunderstand my point. I am not taking sides. And that should be quite obvious. Instead of letting my emotions or opinions taking over, I am saying what a court would rule. Whatever reason somebody is not liked, justified or not, if they jump into water not ready to swim, they should not be surprised to drown. I already stated that I don't see the protesters as being right or wrong, as they are both, right in their opinion, yet wrong in the timing, yet she takes fault too for walking into a restaurant that it's expected to happen at. The only ones seeming to argue with the more neutral point I make are her sympathizers and really, it makes her case/side look weaker, not stronger. Think of this in terms of being neutral and without emotion. Really, it's the best way and I'm rather surprised anyone would disagree so much with what I say. I feel like if I were to say something like all politicians suck, I'd be called a liberal. That's how bad it's gotten.

• It’s not good I’d be in jail for assault if someone did that to me.

0|6
    0|0
  • I wonder how those protesters would feel if it was happening to them?

0|5
    0|0
    • The protestors aren't high ranking public officials, she is, she doesn't get a private life, thats what you get dir being a high ranking public official

• They would probably cry and call the protesters fascists, as they always do.

• Totally ok... When someone needs to be put back in his or her place, i will put them back even if we're in a restaurant!!

0|2
    1|2
    • You have zero class then. Typical liberal.

• @ajijjj and you lack personality.. Keep sitting and taking the shit

• @you're the one who would start shit in a restaurant because they don't have the same beliefs. Thats not a good thing. Also, what do you mean i like personality?

• Why can't people just tolerate each other's opinions and move on with their lives.

0|4
    1|1
    • If someone's opinion unnecessarily causes small children to be taken by force from their parents, it's not something to be ignored.

It's like saying Goebbels should have been made comfortable eating at a delicatessen in 1930's Germany.

• Show All
    • @goaded Yeah, the list that stated best countries for immigrants had the US at number one, very good. The list that pointed to the difficults of citizenship showed that for the US its a max of 5 years (baring marriage and the like that would automatically grant citizenship) for germany its 10 years. Ergo its significantly easier to get into the US and become a citizen then it is in Germany. Clearly didn't read that, but again I'm done.

• @hellionthesagereborn Citizenship is not the same as immigration.

• It’s never ok to harass someone. You can always speak appropriately (relative to the person and situation).

1|2
    0|0
  • My stepfather has belted out Trump remarks before the menus have come. Not acceptable, dad.

0|1
    0|1
  • More from Girls

What Guys Said 86

• Technically, he is exercising his first amendment rights. But he's being a dick about it. Not really offering a solution. I could understand if he personally knew somebody. Otherwise he's just being kind of obnoxious. If you see a politician and want to confront them about something you don't like, by all means try, but be respectful about it. And why was the video necessary?

0|4
    0|1
    • because this was in the news and thats what this topic is about

• Maybe he was angry, maybe he was virtue signaling. I don't know. This isn't helping the democratic party in any way. People like this need to be quieter, not louder, than the reasonable sort. The comments though...

HOW DARE YOU SHOW YOUR FACE ESPECIALLY AT A MEXICAN REST!! A FINE EXAMPLE OF THE UTTER LACK OF RESPECT OR CARING OF ORDINARY AMERICANS !!

Chrisc2000
      Chrisc2000
      2 days ago
      marc marinacci fuck you whore

Ghost Panda
      Ghost Panda
      2 days ago
      Chrisc2000 I can't wait till you get extra surprises in your next meal you dumb ass cunt

The first one... I can understand people getting passionate about this. The next two do a great job summarizing current political discourse

• I mean why was him recording it necessary. I appreciate the video in your question. But why does everybody always record this stuff.

• Here's the thing. Let's say a person goes up to somebody slaps their daughter and walks away before their mom can do anything about it. Later, this person is seen by that mother eating dinner. Is it justified for the mother to say something, maybe bother them a bit?

Or, let's say your car gets graffiti on it by a upcoming celebrity. The news goes viral. People either already are fans/defendant of the celebrity or disgusted by their actions. So, if the celebrity is seen eating dinner with their family, is it right to make sure they don't eat in peace?

And finally, the most simple example. Lets say I punch you. Hard. Immediately, what are your options? Are you going to punch back? Or, or you going to call the cops, possibly sue me, that is, if anyone catches up to em before I run away?

Personally, I'd prefer to go the legal, non violent/disruptive way with somebody. However, knowing how humans work, a punch to the face often results in a punch to the face back, often harder. Is it the best way to handle it? No. But is it expected and not coming as a surprise? Yes. Society is often eye for eye, tooth for tooth. You f with me, I'll f with your entire family kinda way. Whether justified, it's truth.

Here's a quote for this: "Every action has a opposite, equal reaction"

1|1
    0|1
    • Oh and let me add, if you KNOW that you are doing something to mainly Mexican people that they don't like, WHY would you go INTO PUBLIC at a MEXICAN restaurant? It's like not knowing how to swim, but diving into the middle of the ocean! There's a thing called take-out if it's REALLY that problematic.

• You are equating a politician you don't like with physical assault? That is pathetic.

• I don't believe you should interrupt someone's dinner. That being said, they aren't protesting politics. Something that is harmful and damaging is occurring. They are demanding people not be put in the current situations. They aren't protesting taxes, they aren't protesting a war, they are protesting something that is damaging that can immediately be changed. And in this situation, she's eating food made by immigrants. Undocumented immigrants at that. Odds are decent that SOMEONE in the kitchen is an immigrant, the person who unloaded the truck could have been an immigrant, the ones who loaded up the truck may have been undocumented, I don't doubt the farmhands were immigrants, as you can't find many Americans who will work on a hot farm all day, I don't doubt the ones who put the roof on that building were illegal immigrants, I could go on. These people do not dislike illegal immigrants. They dislike brown illegal immigrants that don't directly help them. Americans see a Canadian come here, they can't tell the difference between an American and Canadian, a Russian immigrant is unique and interesting, an Irish accent invokes that "hey, I have Irish heritage, his accent is cool" attitude, but the brown man with the Mexican accent gets that "he's an illegal drug dealer" reaction. It has nothing to do with illegal immigrants, as we get white "vacationers" who overstay their welcome, but no one does anything about that. Speaking of Russians, pregnant Russian women are coming to this country at record rates, giving birth and waiting for their kids to turn 21 so the kid can sponsor their visa. Why aren't we discussing that? We have people struggling to leave their home country. They aren't packing their things and going on a trip. Their kids are threatened by human traffickers and gangs. The trip up to the border is dangerous, and then they are turned away at ports of entry and then coming back illegally. But what we're doing is telling them "go back and come back later", but we don't understand that they're asking us to pull them out of a fire, and we're just telling them to go sit in it until we're ready. And, as I said, this has nothing to do with them being illegal. It's their skin color and accent.

0|2
    0|1
    • My response to your updates:
      They aren't harassing someone over taxes, or a simple bill or a building being built or even a wall being built. If The Wall was implemented and was being built, and she was being harassed, despite me not liking the wall, I'd say leave her alone, stop harassing her. But there is a problem that is immediately affecting the well-being of people that can be fixed right away, but her and the administration are choosing not to. Not only is she choosing not to, she's taking advantage of those who crossed the border illegally and made it by eating at establishments that would not be as operational without said illegal immigrants, essentially taking advantage of the thing her administration is trying to stop from happening. It's like that New York governor who spoke out against having affairs and then got caught with a prostitute. If you have an issue with something, don't take advantage of it, and don't treat people badly and expect good people to put up with it.

• The answer to this goes both ways. I wouldn't believe that harassing anyone is acceptable. HOWEVER, as unacceptable as their actions are, they are very much understandable.

Let me share an anecdote that more closely illustrates what I mean. There was a rapist who was found guilty in court for raping the daughter of a man. The father of the victim was there in court... and midway into the court proceedings, he lunged at the rapist trying to hurt him or maybe even kill him, in front of everyone. Is it ok or acceptable to hurt or kill someone in court, in front of many? No. But is it understandable? Yes.

In essence, you can't blame people for feeling powerless against someone or a government that they feel are against them. And when they feel like they have the opportunity to make a difference, you should understand that they are acting as they are because they feel they've been a victim to the government for so long now. Hell, I honestly don't think the timing was too good, but would they find a better opportunity later? You can be sure that Kirstjen gets the message RIGHT THERE. And the message relates to immigrant children being torn from their families. So you have to understand where they are coming from and they mean well. We should not need to point fingers in every political discussion. After all, when someone is suffering, you can't necessarily expect them to act in-line. Just as the father in my story, you shouldn't be surprised that he acted incorrectly. It doesn't make it right, but we should be able to empathize.

0|1
    0|0
  • Harassing someone in public at a restaurant like this, is one step below a terrorist attack.

Who knows if someone in that crowd had a gun or knife? With as highly emotionally charged as emotions are, i'm glad nobody got hurt or injured.

Everyone has a right to protest, but this crosses the line.

0|2
    0|0
    • This is satire. Please tell me this is satire.

• Show All
    • @errorgoodnameunfound that were told to stand down...

• I don't see proof of that and doesn't matter, security guards especially for a public figure, are payed to take a bullet if needed. If they could have gotten closer, they probably would have. They remained a few feet away the whole time. The protesters, regardless of what you think of them, know the risk of doing what they do, and how far they can go before causing trouble with the law. Any little scratch on this women is subject to harsh punishment. Period. They had one goal, and that was to disrupt her dinner, which does not mean inflicting any physical damage, but only psychological through guilt and mental pressure.

• It's not ok to harass private citizens but public officials are fair game for protesters. A restaurant is private property and management can decide to evict the protesters or not. Ms. Nielsen is a member of an administration that respects nothing and no one, she can hardly complain when she receives the same discourtesy.

1|3
    0|0
    • I might also point out that the policies of her department t are inflicting much more suffering on others than a spoiled dining experience.

• The time and place to protest is when you can reach them and where that is.
    You are worried about verbal harassment as compared to ripping crying children from their parents? As for entering private property, I have heard nothing about police being called, so I guess the owners agreed with the protesters.

1|3
    0|2
  • Many on the left have taken leave of their senses due to Trump Psychosis, a condition which suddenly appeared on November 8, 2016. They should be ashamed of themselves, but are any of them apologizing for this behavior or encouraging the afflicted ones to exercise restraint?

0|2
    0|0
  • I personally don't find it that petty. This bitch is separating Mexican families at the border, or at least has the power to stop that, and she's instead insultingly choosing to dine at a Mexican restaurant as she's callous to the suffering of actual Mexicans. I don't think that the protestors should be getting violent at all, but I mean how far do you take this concept of it being unacceptable to harangue public officials regardless of what they do? I know it may ring as a dramatic example, but do you think if Hitler was dining at a Jewish deli in some other country where he had no power that it is unacceptable to harass him at the very least as he does it? Obviously, these children being detained and imprisoned are not being evidently slaughtered, but I'm sure you could pull this concept to shreds using countless others. FDR eating at a Japanese restaurant, Putin eating Ukranian cuisine, etc.

I don't believe that on an individual basis as voters we should be doing this over disagreements, even serious ones, but people in power who are doing unconstitutional things and damaging the reputation of our country are not the same as that. That's just gross that she would eat at a Mexican place while she's doing that, and I don't give a shit about her tranquality while dining on a throne of tears.

Some of the patrons of the restaurant even joined in and gave high fives to the protestors, and you know what, I don't necessarily think that this is going to effect her to stop the policy but on an ethical basis I have no problem with what they were doing there.

Now when the Democratic Socialists did the same thing to Milo Yiannopolis in Chicago a while back, I was against that because all he is is a commentator/blowhard and homosexual Uncle Ruckus. Milo is in no position to wreak havoc on families. This is the fundamental difference that changes the dynamic of this form of protest.

0|2
    0|1
  • It's detestable. Criminals have been separated from their families for centuries. This very thing was going on during the Obama administration, but there were no such protests.

These people in the video are very clear about wanting no border at all between our countries. I'm not sure how something like that can actually be taken seriously, but I guess that's the world we live in. We let our computers think for us now instead of developing brains of our own.

0|3
    0|0
  • Odd that we ask if it is okay to disrupt someone eating as if "dinner" is some sacred thing. But we don't ask if it is okay to participate in racism or destroying families.

If you are going to ask if it is okay for someone to harass her while eating, why not ask if it is okay for her to go to restaurants at all - should she have the right to go out in public after what she as willing participated it?

0|1
    0|1
  • She's a goverent official who's directly in charge of these matters. It's not like it's a Joe Shmoe on the street.

They deserve the right to protest her but that's probably not the right place to do it. The problem is these politicians just wall themselves off and completely ignore the protesters like they don't even exist when they are working.

1|3
    0|0
    • Your title is extremely misleading. It's not just someone it's a government official directly at the root of the problems that they are complaining about.

• If they are an ordinary citizen? Absolutely not!

If they are IN CHARGE of policy? Yes. It's fine.

1|3
    2|6
    • It's the difference between yelling at the waiter at McDonald's about shitty food, and complaining about the quality of food to the owners. The first is ridiculous and mean. The second is being a good consumer.

• Show All
    • I was respectful. In what way was I disrespectful?

• In any case, I apologise if I hurt your feelings about something.

• I'm a bit torn as I do agree with their right to protest politicians and their policies but the setting isn't very appropriate.

Just doing it because you disagree with or dislike someone is petty but if its a legitimate protest its a bit more grey to me.

0|2
    0|0
  • No completely unacceptable.
    Could you imagine a society where we all just went around shouting at everybody who disagrees with us?
    Society only functions when we're able to have a civil exchange of ideas. You could be a feminist, a radical Muslim, or even somebody who supports illegal immigrants... I'm not going to go start shit with you while you're eating. That's asinine.

0|2
    0|0
  • That's damn stupid and it should be illegal. She's in a private business. And she is minding her own business. If the owner of the business is fine with this behavior-- which I doubt-- then fine they can shout and scream in there. But not at anyone. That's just screaming harrassment. And they need to stop that crap. Now.

0|2
    0|0
    • How about if she were a doctor or nurse going to their place of work, where they occasionally perform abortions? Protesting them would be wrong, too, right?

• Show All
    • On their way to work. Or their clients, should they be protested?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6iimIktUmE

• @goaded That's not just protest that's harrassment. I hate abortion and I don't think you should compare separating a child from it's parents to KILLING the child. But yelling at them I still think is not okay. And the laws should be followed.

Standing in a public area holding a sign is fine. Asking them pointedly why they are going to kill their child or saying the truth about abortion is not breaking the law.

But asking over and over and yelling and screaming and following them and getting in their face-- that's harrassment. That's not okay. And I'm pretty sure there's a law against harassment.

• i love food, i love to eat, i just want to eat after a long day, enjoy myself and if anyone bothers me while i'm eating like the protestor, i'm giving them a back hand across the face so hard they'll drop to the floor like a fly, like idgaf if they sue me for assault but let me fucking eat first, then we can discuss or let you protest me lol

0|2
    0|0
    • if it's a private restaurant i would assume most people would have more class or are more well mannered and might even find protesting to be something embarrassing to do. but if they somehow got in to protest without pay or isn't there to actually eat, i find it to be highly unacceptable. like say if the protestor of the video walked by the restaurant and saw her, then she goes in to protest, then it's like wtf? and even if she was eating there, it's still rude to interrupt other people's dinner. but it would be funny if the "this is library" guy just happened to be at that restaurant and say what he said when there was a protest at the library.

incase you guys haven't seen that video
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHhy2Gk_xik

• Liberal morons like that should get deported together with the criminals that they have, inexplicably, chosen to defend.

1|6
    0|0
  • It's never ok to harass, even less when it's for a different point of you.
    What is that dickhead think? That only those who share his views have the right to live in peace?

0|3
    0|0
    • is it ok if the person being harassed is a public official?

• Show All
    • yeah just some users here think its justified if the person is holding a public office

• She's not in her office. She's eating in a restaurant, it's a private moment. What they do is harassing her in her private life. Not only it's a dick move, but that will also give her the motivation and the reason to be even more against them.
      They just succeeded in making her mad, and they probably won't like the result.

• freedom of congregation coming to bite people in the ass. is it ok? absolutely not. do people care? I don't think so. does this apply as harassment in legal terms? oh yeah. I would say "I don't eat in peace? you don't eat in freedom. you have 2 seconds to get your shit and leave my presence or I will have all of you arrested for harassment."

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes