Was John McCain (aka Songbird) a traitor to the United States?

• Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Other
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
During the Vietnam War his father John Sidney "Jack" McCain Jr (was Commander-in-Chief, Pacific Command (CINCPAC), commander of all U. S. forces in the Vietnam theater from 1968 to 1972. He was a stalwart supporter of President Richard Nixon's policy of Vietnamization. McCain played a significant role in the militarization of U. S. policy towards Cambodia, helping to convince Nixon to launch the 1970 Cambodian Incursion and establishing a personal relationship with Cambodian leader Lon Nol.

0|1

Most Helpful Girl

• A pretty provocative statement. And a bad attempt at trying to take the spotlight off of the failings of the mobster president.

2|5
    0|3
    • The poster's VERY FIRST STATEMENT IS A LIE.

Google it.

Once I knew that, I didn't bother reading the rest of his shit.

• Show All
    • @markscott yet other pows who did not have admiral fathers were prosecuted.
      dubious
      adjective
      hesitating or doubting.
      "I was rather dubious about the whole idea"
      synonyms: doubtful, uncertain, unsure, in doubt, hesitant; More
      not to be relied upon; suspect.
      "extremely dubious assumptions"
      synonyms: suspicious, suspect, under suspicion, untrustworthy, unreliable, undependable, questionable; informalshady, fishy, funny, not kosher; informaldodgy
      "a dubious businessman"
      equivocal, ambiguous, indeterminate, indefinite, unclear, vague, imprecise, hazy, puzzling, enigmatic, cryptic;
      open to question, debatable, questionable
      "she gave him a dubious reply"

• White: I flat out don't believe you, if you are saying other American aviators, from North Vietnam prisons, were prosecuted by Americans. I find no indication any were prosecuted, and I don't recall ever hearing of such. As I said, I don't believe you. So please, so we can all know, please give the specific names of the American Naval Aviators who were POWs in North Vietnam, and who were also prosecuted for breaking under torture. I don't believe you can name even one, as I don't believe it happened. It's just garbage, spread by Trump followers, to lie about McCain, to make Trump look good. Again, please give specific names of those supposedly prosecuted. They must be as McCain, naval aviators, and prisoners in North Vietnam, and prosecuted by Americans, for breaking under torture.

Most Helpful Guys

• Your VERY FIRST STATEMENT IS A LIE

Once I knew that, I didn't bother reading the rest of your shit.

1|5
    0|1
    • Was John McCain (aka Songbird) a traitor to the United States?

• "FACT: lf not for a pardon from
      President Richard Nixon, John
      McCain would have been court
      martialed for treason"

LIE!

• 7d

Yeah, that's who supports John McCain. People who don't read.

• Let's be honest, everyone has a breaking point when it comes to torture, and, athough there were a handful of men who served in Vietnam that may not have been broken by their torturers (e. g., Jeremiah Denton), I can't fault those who did as long as they tried to resist as much as they reasonably could. Nevertheless, it's fair to question whether he could have provided less-than-accurate information to his captors (probably not).

0|1
    0|0
    • I would not call him a traitor to the US. Much more questionable was him not pushing for a proper investigation as to whether POWs were left behind in Vietnam and killed. When the war against France ended in 1954, the Vietnamese kept POWs as hostages so the French would pay money to get them released. Presumably they did the same with captured US servicemembers.

• Show All
    • They deserve to suffer for what they did.

• At least you're honest about your (selective) motivation.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 5

• I don't know enough unbiased factual information on this matter to come to a reasonable conclusion, sorry. However, he is dead now, and I would rather a dead life be celebrated than condemned, only because it is his family who will suffer this hatred now and not him. Although everyone is entitled to their opinion.

0|0
    0|0
  • I find it odd that so many liberals are defending McCain now.

0|1
    0|0
    • Yeah he's saint mcCain now, before he was the old racist white man that dared to challege obama at election time.

• At this point does it really matter? I think a lot of peeps felt he was corrupt in general as senator whatever title you want to give him.

0|1
    0|0
  • Can you let this man rest in peace?

1|2
    0|0
    • The poster's VERY FIRST STATEMENT IS A LIE.

Google it.

Once I knew that, I didn't bother reading the rest of his shit.

• Nope

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 34

• No I don't think he was a traitor but he was a man who cooperated with some of North Vietnam's plans. His politics were all over the place. He was the darling of both parties and disliked and at times hated by the same parties. He was known on the Hill as disloyal.
    He made his own plans for his unending funeral service, speakers, guest, lying in state and so on. He really demanded that he be the center of attention as a dead man.
    Mr. McCain, you're no daisy! You're no daisy at all.

0|3
    0|0
  • Men who were at the Hanoi Hilton with McCain said that he was a traitor.
    There was also the broadcast that he made for radio Hanoi.
    That is good enough for me to declare that McCain was a traitor.

0|1
    0|0
    • Were you ever a POW or MIA?

• Show All
    • cth96190: The tapes are not authenticated, and thus, not proven to be John McCain. However, McCain said several times, that he broke, and made at least one audio tape for North Vietnam, following many days of torture and beatings, while suffering from dysentery. McCain also said, following his breaking, the next day, he refused to make the tape, and they beat him until he gave in, and agreed to make the tape. McCain was tortured very frequently during his years as a POW in North Vietnam. Anyone who believed McCain was a traitor because of this, I would say, is a conceited, heartless person, bereft of empathy, and lacks the normal human spirit of caring about those who are in great pain from torture, for weeks, months and years. In other words, a normally functioning human being, with normal emotions, and normal human feelings, would understand how torture can break a person, and they would not be a traitor.

• @markscott @markscott so your saying it's fair that only conscripted pow grunts get court martialed. There's been doubts about McCain's military career since he was released and long before he insulted millions of American voters out of jealousy of his failed presidential run.

• Pretty sure anyone that gets tortured for five years is gonna sing like a canary. I wouldn't consider that treasonous. If the information was freely given that would be different.

0|1
    0|0
  • It's absolutely false. John McCain was a war hero, and was not pardoned, because he didn't need a pardon. This is just garbage to trash a real war hero, to make Trump look good. The only way Trump can look good when compared to John McCain, is to tear John down with lies.

0|1
    0|0
  • Though I'm no fan of that old dead peace of shit he was never pardoned by nixon and that took me 3 seconds of googling to find that out so the rest of what you say is very questionable if you want to make a case against him why dont you look at his voting record like how he voted against MLK day , all the wars he voted for or how he voted like trump 80+ % of the time while saying he's nothing like trump

0|2
    0|0
  • I'm on the side of Trump, but this is disgusting. McCain was a soldier who had to experience a lot of bad stuff and now he passed away. May he rest in peace. Trump might have been right about the criticism he gave, but Trump is not a mean person. He doesn't want that people talk about dead war veterans like that.

0|0
    0|0
  • So... do these idiotic memes have any, you know, sources for anything? Or are they content to just make shit up?

2|2
    0|0
  • His politics were probably more treasonous than his questionable conduct as a POW. At least, in the political arena, we know for sure that he had choices. McCain was a corrupt Senator.

0|2
    0|0
  • The left hated him 'till he died, and now use him to bash Trump. It's all fake.

0|2
    0|0
    • Browneye57: Garbage. I'm from the left, and have respected John McCain for a long time. Though when Trump is compared to John McCain, a real war hero, Trump looks pretty lousy.

• @markscott - So dumb. Trump became president, McCain didn't. You're divorced from reality.

• Brown: Do you even know what you are talking about? I'm simply talking about character, true patriotism, and what a hero is. McCain had a lot of that. He was a true military hero. Trump couldn't match McCain on character, so he had to belittle him by saying he was captured. Just like you can't match facts and truth, so you turn to false accusations.

• Dude was tortured and held for a very long time. I don't blame him for cooperating.

0|2
    0|0
  • I don't like John McCain but given his position as a tortured POW I can't exactly fault him for coughing up information about the war effort. He was a shitfuck warmonger who gave us Sarah Palin and definitely did more harm than good but I can't shit on his war record. He did the brave thing of refusing to leave the torture camp while his comrades were still there. Shitty as he was, I'd peg him above W. Bush, at least without the knowledge of all the terrifying actions he'd have put on us as president.

0|2
    0|0
  • Whatever you grievances with this man. Respect the family while the grief. You wouldn't want your father or brother insulted that way especially a moment of death. If you got nothing to good to say then hold your tongue.

0|0
    0|0
  • There is nothing to be gained from lambasting the dead, even if it is true.

0|0
    0|0
    • It's just a reaction to all the people acting like john mccain was a good person

• @-Asca- It is inevitable that people become canonized before their corpse is cool. I dislike it every time I see that happen.

• That's why it's sort of senseless to forbid criticizing the dead.

• He is a war hero in my book, but he has voted against everything Trump has done and that has prevented him from doing anything. I don't consider it traitorous.

0|0
    0|0
  • He had mental problems, that's for sure. But as he is gone, let him rest in peace. He can't make more trouble, or good on this planet anymore.

0|0
    0|0
    • 3d

I'd like to fly out to America and do a shit on his grave. Americans had no right to invade Viet Nam. Every bastard one of them deserves a slow and painful death for what they did to the poor people of Viet Nam.

• I didn't respect him as a Senator on a lot of issues, but I do respect his service. Let the man rest in peace.

0|0
    0|0
    • What he did in captivity is something I wouldn't know how much I could take before breaking. The factual statements are: he was shot down, and taken prisoner. Unlike a fairly recent issue where a soldier deserted.

• Show All
    • @markscott He said it himself

• White: Of course he said it himself. That is what prisoners feel, after being tortured day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year, and they break. They feel like they are traitors. That doesn't mean they are traitors. The American military doesn't consider them traitors. The military knows just about anybody will break, given enough torture. It's not a matter of being a traitor, it's a matter of all the body and mind can take. And the American military, unlike during Viet Nam, no longer tells captured military that they can't say anything more than rank and serial number. They recognize the reality, that people have a breaking point. Some people have some empathy for people who are tortured for years. Obviously, you are short on that empathy. How very Trump like of you.

• McCain was a traitor to the people of the United States, yes. He sided with the communists and globalists over actual Americans.

0|0
    0|0
  • I realize that the dead can't sue for libel. Even so I'd like to know what your sources are, besides a pro-Trump think-tank.

0|0
    0|0
  • John McCain passed away let him rest in Peace. I see we have some traitors on GAG.

0|1
    0|0
  • I'm not sure... After all, the NVA didn't agree to the Geneva Convention on treatment of POW's, and they definitely tortured McCain quite a bit. The DOD admits that under extreme torture and duress, everyone breaks. Thus, under such conditions, there is no treason. That is precisely why Nixon pardoned him, to save him from reliving his ordeals.
    by the way, whatever the other POW's *think* they knew of his alleged preferential treatment was most certainly the product of propaganda of their captors

0|1
    0|0
  • More from Guys

Recommended myTakes