What do you think of Kevin Hart being forced to step down from hosting the 2019 Oscars due to 'homophobic slurs'?

DevilsAdvocator
The choice of Hart for host was only announced on Tuesday. But tweets from a decade ago emerged of alleged anti-gay slurs, sparking calls for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences to drop him. Said comedy routine, back in 2010, involved him telling the audience, "One of my biggest fears is my son growing up and being gay. That's a fear. Keep in mind, I'm not homophobic, I have nothing against gay people, be happy. Do what you want to do. But me, being a heterosexual male, if I can prevent my son from being gay, I will."

Kevin Hart had said hosting the Oscars was "a goal on my list for a long time". In 2015, by which time his profile had risen significantly, Hart addressed the comments in an interview with Rolling Stone. "I wouldn't tell that joke today, because when I said it, the times weren't as sensitive as they are now," he said. "I think we love to make big deals out of things that aren't necessarily big deals, because we can."

On Thursday, he said the Academy had demanded that he apologize, in spite of having apologized for the routine in the past, or another host would be found. And late on Thursday, he announced that he'd step down "because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists", reiterating that "I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words of the past."

Actress Busy Philipps wasted no time in suggesting she should host the ceremony instead, "OR ANY OTHER WOMAN WORKING IN HOLLYWOOD RIGHT NOW WHO WANTS TO". And the LGBTQ campaigners who hounded out Hart have also demanded his replacement by an LGBTQ host. But few are lining up to take on "the least wanted job in Hollywood". What do you make of Kevin Hart's comments, and his being forced to resign due to 'homophobia'? And would you watch the 2019 Oscars now?
24
70