Is Pluto a Planet?

Is Pluto a Planet?
  • Yes
  • No
  • Not now, but it will become a planet again!
    Vote C
Pluto, discovered in 1930, was universally considered a planet until 2006, when the International Astronomical Union demoted him. For those who deny that he's a planet, calling him a dwarf planet is confusing. Instead, they should call him a planetesimal. Pluto was demoted only on the basis of his inability to clear his orbit of objects of comparable size to himself. He is large enough for gravity to force him into a round shape, and his orbit, though highly irregular, is predictable.
Pluto was never considered a moon, as a moon must always orbit a planet. And you don't need a moon to be a planet, as Venus has no moon (though Pluto has his mate Charon, whom Pluto orbits somewhat while clearly taking the lead like a gentleman for his lady). Pluto's status is still disputed, especially since only 424 out of some 10,000 professional astronomers worldwide voted him down.

1435

Most Helpful Girls

• Pluto might not be scientifically classified as a planet... But it’ll always be a planet in my heart ❤️

Most Helpful Guys

• It used to be, but now the scientists have changed their minds. I see people calling it a "dwarf planet" I don't even know what that is. I thought they now called it a moon. (Maybe it's the same thing)
    I read that NASA sent a probe there, and it took 9 years to get there. Wow.
    That place ain't very close to Earth. I don't know how scientists can figure out how to do that stuff, but they did.

• No. It's dwarf planet. Much needed category.
    Eris! Why nobody talks about Eris? It's larger than Pluto.
    And to all of those keep talking shit about astronomers: what is your education? Did you spend most of your life researching that stuff? Do you have profound knowledge about planets formation? No. No, you don't. So STFU. Much smarter people than you or me did the decision.