Is Pluto a Planet?

Is Pluto a Planet?
  • Yes
    Vote A
  • No
    Vote B
  • Not now, but it will become a planet again!
    Vote C
Select age and gender to cast your vote:
I'm a GirlI'm a Guy
Updates:
Pluto, discovered in 1930, was universally considered a planet until 2006, when the International Astronomical Union demoted him. For those who deny that he's a planet, calling him a dwarf planet is confusing. Instead, they should call him a planetesimal. Pluto was demoted only on the basis of his inability to clear his orbit of objects of comparable size to himself. He is large enough for gravity to force him into a round shape, and his orbit, though highly irregular, is predictable.
Pluto was never considered a moon, as a moon must always orbit a planet. And you don't need a moon to be a planet, as Venus has no moon (though Pluto has his mate Charon, whom Pluto orbits somewhat while clearly taking the lead like a gentleman for his lady). Pluto's status is still disputed, especially since only 424 out of some 10,000 professional astronomers worldwide voted him down.

1|1

Most Helpful Girls

• Pluto might not be scientifically classified as a planet... But it’ll always be a planet in my heart ❤️

4|4
    1|2

Most Helpful Guys

• It used to be, but now the scientists have changed their minds. I see people calling it a "dwarf planet" I don't even know what that is. I thought they now called it a moon. (Maybe it's the same thing)
    I read that NASA sent a probe there, and it took 9 years to get there. Wow.
    That place ain't very close to Earth. I don't know how scientists can figure out how to do that stuff, but they did.

2|0
    0|0
  • No. It's dwarf planet. Much needed category.
    Eris! Why nobody talks about Eris? It's larger than Pluto.
    And to all of those keep talking shit about astronomers: what is your education? Did you spend most of your life researching that stuff? Do you have profound knowledge about planets formation? No. No, you don't. So STFU. Much smarter people than you or me did the decision.

0|0
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 12

What Guys Said 33

• No the only reason it was a planet is because they went by the centuries old definition of planet which was "any body that orbits the sun". And so they had to update the definition because there's a lot of shit that orbits the sun. So they made the classification of a planet. It has to have a moon, has to be spherical in shape, and has to be large enough to clear everything in its orbital path. which Pluto has not cleared everything in its orbital path it is just a large keiper belt object.

0|0
    0|0
    • Little Pluto is like the ‘little engine that could’... I think I can, I think I can... but he just couldn’t make it!

• Of course it is. Does it have to spin counter clockwise to be a planet? No.

0|0
    0|0
  • Pluto a planet well does it look more than just a floating space rock and more like a planet, Well then it is probably a planet.

So hella yea it is planet.

0|0
    0|0
  • I can't believe they featured this question. Even kids can answer this question

0|0
    0|1
  • If Pluto isn't a planet, then Peter Dinklage isn't a person, but a dwarf person.

0|1
    0|0
  • Make pluto a planet again? Yay? Nay?

I dont do sky sorcery...

0|0
    0|0
  • Is Pluto a Planet?

1|0
    0|0
  • It's a big ball of rock that's occasionally visible through a telescope. That's close enough for me. Did Pluto change? No, we did.

0|0
    0|0
  • The reason Pluto isn't a planet isn't because of it's size despite what people say. It's not a planet because it doesn't have a clear orbit.

0|0
    0|0
  • The definition of "planet" is arbitrary and under the current arbitrary official definition, "No."

0|0
    0|0
  • I am not knowledgeable enough in this area to answer.

0|0
    0|0
  • Technically yes. Dwarf planet. Still have "planet" in it.

0|0
    0|0
  • Why are proven science asked as a question as if it's up for discussion?

0|1
    0|0
  • I've known Pluto as a planet my entire life, so I'd say yes.

0|0
    0|0
  • It isn't now nor will it ever be.

0|0
    0|0
  • planets do not exist

1|0
    0|1
  • In my heart it is

0|0
    0|0
  • No, he's a dog.