The American Psychological Association has declared masculinity as a mental disorder, thoughts?

Updates:
"that traditional masculinity—marked by stoicism, competitiveness, dominance and aggression—is, on the whole, harmful."
"40 years of research showing that traditional masculinity is psychologically harmful"

Stoicism is a philosophy that emerged in ancient Greece 2300 years ago, since then its been a learning school for men in masculinity and now some retarded feminist study discards 2300 years of tradition like its nothing. This is to say the least, detestable.
“Because of the way many men have been brought up—to be self-sufficient and able to take care of themselves—any sense that things aren’t OK needs to be kept secret,”
So independence and self sufficiency are seen as good qualities for women, but for men they are 'harmful' psychology. Bullshit.

0|4

Most Helpful Girls

• Really? Transgenderism used to be a mental disorder now a man being his biological sex is. Messed up.

6|26
    0|0
    • transgenderism is still in the DSM-IV under gender dysphoria. that's an ass sentence you typed up. congrats.

• Show All
    • @scorchedwater "transgenderism is still in the DSM-IV under gender dysphoria" "gender dysphoria is the root of transgenderism"

This is exactly what I'm saying is NOT the case. Gender dysphoria is a SYMPTOM of being transgender, not the root of it. It's no more the root of being trans as having dysphoria about your body type is the root of being fat.

• @cipher42 ... that's like saying surges of electricity across your brain is not a root of epilepsy... that electricity results seizures. that dysphoria results in transgenderism.
      but okay.

• A lot of them say femininity is unhealthy too. They want neither men nor women to confirm to their gender roles

3|17
    1|0

Most Helpful Guys

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 18

• I think you missed the point. While women were expected to be "weak" and dependent on the men in their lives, men were strongly encouraged to be extremely self sufficient. They were expected to need nobody and rely on nobody. Both approaches are unhealthy. While a few decades ago women started becoming more self sufficient, until recently men were still expected to be "manly". There is no need for that because people can rely on each other and everybody needs both attributes to be balanced. Obviously, bottling up one's emotions just to prove to the world that one is extremely independent is an unhealthy attitude. One should be able to be weak at times and ask for help without being judged while still being a self sufficient intact person.
    In that sense, masculinity is not a disease but telling little boys to suck it up and stop crying because they are men and need to be strong or men don't cry and men don't need anybody is not healthy. Our definition of masculinity is not correct. Men are human, they get sad too feel lonely at times get depressed and need someone to help them. If all these things would happen to them they would still be men and wouldn't need to hide their feelings only because that's not in accordance with our definition of being a man.

6|2
    1|3
    • Stoicism's perception of masculinity is about channeling these emotions and producing art and poetry of it. What you say about hiding feelings has nothing to do with masculinity, nor stoicism.

• Show All
    • @Anpu23 you are pathetic

• @NorwegianBoy and @Glue-Sniffer you misunderstood my statement the concept of "toxic masculinity" as I understand it is that certain traditional male ttaits such as stoism are inherently bad for men, my response is that these traits are not only good but vital. The ability to turn off emotional response, to feel the fear and do it anyway, to do what needs to be done are tools that we have developed to deal with what is essentially an unfair world. I have 3 different mytakes about this subject with more details but I believe that the the behavior that you are trying to repress is dangerous in its results.

• That is awful, and I feel bad that men are being targeted in this way.

2|11
    1|1
  • Welcome in 2019 where acting according to biology is a mental disorder and being transgender is completely healthy.

3|13
    1|0
  • The truth is - female emotions have been pathologized since the dawn of time. This is nothing but a decoy to rile up men against women and make comments such as "liberals need to be burned alive" and "women are much more pathological" because that is its aim. The statistics of WHO is on meds and seeks counseling paints a completely different picture. Diversion strategy at its finest.

0|2
    0|0
    • I won't partake in this gender war.

• Show All
    • Very true. And then Levant flipped it. They just refuse to let women be women and to let men be men. I think they cause as many issues as they solve.

• Strength and power will always be lauded in society. Who gets to associate themselves with strength and power - men. Women are free to do so, but pay a major prize, usually being label shebeast, butch, lesbian, cunt, etc. What is perceived as "typically feminine" is usually deemed weak and fussy, but women are supposed to be that at the same time in order not to upset the hierarchy. I've never seen a confident man ridiculed. I've seen many confident women ridiculed.

• Conforming in a way that doesn’t make one happy is a problem. It is a toxic teaching... teaching how to typically take care of one another is perfectly fine. Trying to force people down certain paths is not...

While I find this to be a bit extreme. The message is something I can get about 60% behind.

3|0
    2|6
  • Intersectionalism is a mental disorder. They´re raving lunatics!

0|6
    1|0
  • They didn’t say masculinity in general. They said traditional masculinity. The traditional manly man macho role of a dude. I do believe that it is harmful to push that kind of mentality in young boys.

However, I will acknowledge that whoever wrote it is very biased. They had a cute point, but overall I don’t take it too seriously.

0|0
    1|8
  • Wait so a dude acting like a dude is a mental disorder? 😕

0|2
    0|0
  • April Fools is in 3 months, this joke is too soon

1|3
    1|0
  • They never said anything about modern feminism?

1|1
    1|1
  • I like my husband to exhibit those qualities.

0|3
    0|0
  • Absolutely pathetic and toxic of them

0|2
    0|0
  • It really is

1|0
    2|5
  • lolollllll that’s halarious

0|0
    0|0
  • Anything extreme is certainly not healthy so I can see why if it's an extreme version it could be classified as a disorder. But the trouble is, it seems they want to classify basically everything now so there's becoming little room for anyone to actually be considered completely healthy. Just think about that for a moment too - what could the motive be I wonder.

0|0
    0|0
  • the people working in the association are most likely mentally ill for declaring such stupid stuff

0|1
    0|0
  • Wow, that's interesting. I am a traditional lefty, but even I find this a little bit um... over the top.
    The APA has obviously overstepped their boundaries.

1|1
    1|0
  • There is no hope for the future.

2|4
    1|0

What Guys Said 77

• Even a crab can tell you that they are NOT calling masculinity a mental disorder. You people seriously need to start reading (they teach you this in preschool) before going into attack mode.

The APA is not calling masculinity a mental disorder and no where did they say that. If you had actually taken the time to read their entire article in full and not just the commentary from a bias conservative source (the link you provided), you would see that they are not calling masculinity a mental disorder but instead are saying that traditional masculinity is composed of SOME undesirable behaviors such as aggression, stoicism, dominance, and extreme competitiveness.

Masculinity in itself is not a problem (its simply a label), but some of the behaviors within masculinity can be problematic. For example, having a high aggression rate can explain why men make up 93% of the population in prison, despite their being women in the country.

In addition to that, men due to their masculinity and macho personalities are less likely to go out and seek medical/mental health treatment. This could potentially explain why men on average tend to live about 5 years shorter than women and why they have the highest suicide and mass murder rate. When compared to women, men are more likely to hide troubling health related issues from professionals out of fear that they would lose their integrity as a man if they do.

There is a difference between saying something is a mental disorder and saying that something is hindering progress. This article is not declaring masculinity as a disorder, but it is stating that masculinity prevents many men from seeking medical/mental health help. If anything, the APA is trying to encourage men to seek help when they need it and stop trying to weather every storm by themselves.

And yes, I got all of that information by reading and understanding what they were talking about instead of going into the article with "Fake News" on my mind.

4|0
    0|4
    • 1. I read the article I even linked it.
      2. The study is biased.
      3. Read the update.

• Show All
    • Dude if you have any knowledge about science you will be perfectly clear that, the article will be used as source information for shit like this and Feminazi will review article in NCBI to label man as mentally ill. The feminazi will also start posting this shit as evidence to claim shit and its only happening in US.
      The Chinese/South-Asians and East is closing the scientific gap in matter of months, the 300 years of worth scientific knowledge is completed by Chinese in 20 years.

• the only logical response here.

• ... so let's go through it
    The major flaw by far by the APA is not more specifically drawing out what they mean by "traditional", which means people already on tilt because they look back on tradition with unhealthy fondness, get an extra 60 degrees of tilt off how much room their favorite conservative media outlet has to misconstrue what the APA is actually saying. Things like "they called it a disease" when in none of the 36 pages of the guideline do they actually. Nor is it in the DSM-V, nor is it even up for debate for including a version in the next edition.

It's manufactured insanity an outlet can spit out because let their viewpoint become their identity. And people's desire to protect their identity can be so strong, they'll mention that CNN is privatized fake news only out to get clicks and rouse their base, while completely denying their outlet could be doing the same. So strong that the entire basis of modern psychology, the APA, and a 36 page guideline meant to help teach and parent (not trigger boomers), filled to the brim with references, proof, and scientific study gets thrown under the bus if it means getting to hold their belief.

Anyone ever ask what's the worst that could happen to them if they end up being wrong about something, because it's not much.

2|0
    0|1
    • I don't really see where you're getting this "manufactured insanity" argument from, the article is almost entirely quotes from the linked article on the APA website with 1 or 2 paragraph of refutation from the author. Yeah the title is a bit clickbait-y but the article itself is practically a copy-paste directly from the APA.

• Manufactured in the sense if you disagree with the sentiment and conclusions drawn, fund your own conclusions or find proof against
      As for the 2300 years of tradition thrown out? Tradition for tradition's sake is a circular argument. Which just leads back to, "if you have an argument that isn't rage for destroyed nostalgia goggles that maybe masculinity as we've taught it is wasn't all that fucking healthy, by all means present it"

• Oh so you mean that the reader's reactions are the manufactured insanity, and not that the article itself is. That makes more sense

• I was about to mention this.

Many people have pointed out the feminist attack on masculinity over the last few decades. In response feminists usually say that when they talk about "toxic masculinity" they don't mean that masculinity is bad, just a certain type of masculinity. This is a blatant lie.

Some of the things they talk about when talking about "toxic masculinity" are real problems - things such as misogyny, domestic abuse, sexual assault/rape. However, those things have nothing at all to do with masculinity. Women can be just as hateful when it comes to men, women can abuse men, sexually assault men. They only attached those things to masculinity to attack masculinity itself.

Most of the other things they also label as being toxic masculinity are natural male behaviours. Competitiveness, dominant behaviour, aggression - these are all natural side effects of testosterone which have been well studied. As for stoicism, crying is linked with the balance of progesterone vs testosterone - more progesterone and less testosterone = higher likelihood of crying. The opposite = lower likelihood of crying.

So basically, all of the things that they're saying are "wrong" with men have to do with our biological nature. Some of it does have to do with social conditioning but it's also biological. They're literally pathologising male nature, which is ridiculous.

As someone else pointed out, these people will say that transgenderism is not a mental disorder, and they'll celebrate a man deciding that he wants to become a woman. But these same people believe that a man being a man is a disorder.

When you listen to them, their default position seems to be that men are really like women, that we really want to be like women, but that we're conditioned not to be. For example when they talk about expressing emotions and crying, which is an obsession for these people, they say that the reason men don't show emotions is because of society, that we really want to be open and cry but that we're holding back.

If a young boy plays with make-up, dresses, dolls etc. If you say you won't allow it, to them you're a bad parent. They say that you should let them be themselves and play with whatever they want to play with. Yet, those same people will prevent boys from playing for example wrestling, army games, toy guns, climbing etc. That's not allowing them to be themselves is it? They're hypocrites.

As you mentioned they encourage women to be "strong and independent". They're trying to teach men the complete opposite. To be okay with being weak, that independence is bad. So really, it's all about forcing effeminacy onto boys/men and discouraging masculinity.

It's obviously not good for men to be effeminate. It's the reason we have so many incels and MGTOW nowadays, those are guys who've never been taught how to be men and have actually been discouraged, and as a result have been set up for failure when it comes to dating. Women in general prefer strong, masculine men, despite all of the feminist programming - they always have, and no amount of social engineering will change their biological drives. So it sets them up for failure in dating.

They also blame the high male suicide rate on masculinity and the fact that men aren't open. But I think the rise in male suicide comes from this emasculation.

Hormones influence behaviour, and behaviour also influences hormones, it works in a cycle. More testosterone = more stereotypical masculine behaviour. More masculine behaviour = more testosterone. But now men are discouraged from being masculine, and surprise surprise men today have much lower testosterone levels than did previous generations. 1 in 4 men have medically low testosterone. Low testosterone is linked with depression. As our society has discouraged masculinity suicide rates have gone up, and they blame masculinity? They think more emasculation is the solution? Can they not see a pattern here?

These people are backwards.

1|0
    1|0
  • But there's not a war on men, you're silly if you think so, and you probably have a small penis as well.

The American Psyhcological Association has declared masculinity as a mental disorder, thoughts?

0|4
    1|2
  • This is absurd because you're right, it does basically boil down to being "independent is harmful". I also like how it says if you're facing racism and you work to overcome it, that's harmful masculinity and called john henryism... I legit don't know how to handle this not being a joke lol

0|1
    0|0
  • Masculinity is what got us to where we are in civilization, it is also what keeps us there.

Feminism is cancer.

1|7
    2|0
  • I guess in the future girls could only dream to meet a masculine man... because all men will be week and girly. Imagine.

0|1
    0|0
    • Man thats actually sad.

• I think the whole point of this agenda is to make people no gender, no race, no nationality. Just some people who are lost who don't know who they are where they came from and where they are going. Just Human Number 01 ... Human number 02.

• I am gonna say this once and only once.
    Everything is a mental disorder by denfination cause we have different stabilty levels and ways to cope and think different.

But there is a differance between mental disorders that need help and other that don't.

So the American psychological association are right it is one.

1|0
    0|1
  • It's because of liberals and feminists , American males need to man up and stop them by power , or soon liberals will also claim that being straight is mental disorder.

1|4
    2|0
    • Hmm, you're quite the Muslim man, you look to the West and do not take the tropes, you see what you see in your own people's will. Bravo, absolutely bravo. Where you from, forgive speculation but Turkey? God you got such a late 1970s thing going on it's fascinating how "the wind blows".

• @whatamievendoing117 I'm not religious , but the thing that happens in your country is crazy , stupid and against morals

• I see, but you hold yourself to a level that is very grey is also where I get it, and it's astounding. I'm sure it bleeds for your own as well. It's preciously appreciated, world's too filled with retardo-politics propelling 1,000s of years of history and for what? For what purpose truly, if all politics is based off of human impulse.

• I DON'T LIKE THEM PUTTING CHEMICALS IN THE WATER THAT TURN THE FREAKING FROGS GAY!

0|6
    1|0
  • It sure is, you don't need to prove you are masculine if you are a guy? Like why the hell would you do that?

1|0
    0|3
    • @Benedek38 i can show you my balls lol to show I am macho lmao

• Yes you do, masculinity is the basic requirement to produce sperm cells in the testicles, have you not gotten biology lessons in school? Masculinity is derived from male hormones like testosterone, and males of all species show it off to females in order to secure chances to mate.

• Well I know we have to show masculinity to the females I don't know about flexing masculinity 24/7

• I feel like they're just saying words without really understanding what anything means. They can declare it's a disorder all they want, but at the end of the day they're idots and I'm glad to be masculine.

0|1
    0|0
  • Consider this, there have been proposals to pass laws preventing ownership of guns by those diagnosed with a mental disorder.

Every red blooded male could be considered to have a mental disorder, and if the proposal actually became law, being to much of a man will prevent you from legally buying a gun.

0|1
    0|0
  • I was ready to kick this to the curb, but I do understand some ideals of masculinity is dangerous... if it's American!!!
    Let's be honest, there are countries around the world that don't subscribe to the American way if living and gender interactions, and they are happier for it.
    There's some kind of mental disconnect in American "values" that's causing this BS.

1|0
    0|0
  • It's just trendy. They're just trying to build a house of cards to allow greater social control. The truth is that this trend will be discredited and thrown in the trash heap where it belongs.

0|3
    1|0
  • Well reading the comments was refreshing. Glad everyone can dismiss this as comedic bullshit.

0|3
    1|0
  • If you actually read the APA article that, of course, is not at all what they concluded. But, I guess fake news doesn't work if they report the facts, so..

0|0
    0|0
  • Does mean that they will eventually declare feminity as a mental disorder do you think? We all know at least one crazy woman but most guys are just dickheads so sure feminity should have been labelled first?

0|0
    1|0
  • The American Psychological Association is part of the bigger problem of the feminization of psychology that began with Levant and his misunderstanding that male failure to emote in the same manner as women is NOT male failure to emote at all.

0|0
    0|0
  • I'm a social scientist and the APA has seriously destroyed any last bit of credibility they had, and done much to put the entire profession in doubt.

0|1
    0|0
  • Oh yeaaah, masculinity is scary until you need a spider squashed.

0|0
    0|0
  • I guess I need to be signed up and put in the mental ward.

If they really want to push this.
    -Chivalry needs to die.
    -Suits, ties, and all men's clothing needs to go away and become gender neutral.
    -All action movies where there is one guy who saves the day needs to be destroyed in all forms.
    -All romance movies where the guy steps up to win the girl, or sacrifices himself in the name of love needs to be destroyed in all forms.
    -Any competitive sport that is typically dominated by the male species needs to be outlawed.
    -Any, and all, portrayals of the male species showing strength or perseverance needs to be destroyed. Meaning no super hero's portrayed as men.

So are the pills going to be covered by the government? Or is my insurance going to cover it?

0|0
    1|0
  • More liberal man-hating. Stupid misandrists. They need to be burned alive.
    Masculinity is very very important and part of nature. Men are biologically programmed to be masculine and women to be feminine. It has always been this way ever since the first humans on earth. But feminists / liberals / misandrists are blasting their retarded sh*t to destroy society. There is a big boy crisis going around in employment, school and child development. I vote for California to leave America and be its own misandristic country.

0|0
    1|0
  • So by this logic. Any kind of forced behavior is bad and harmful. So that includes religion.

0|2
    0|0
  • Billions of genders are totally ok, but be a man and you're insane. Looks like the PC culture in the US reached a new low.

1|2
    1|0
  • ... and it's ridiculous "findings" like this which illustrates why, "psychology" is not a science whereas, "psychiatry", is. It is statistical cherry picking at best to get the answers you [psychologist] want to best promote your rhetoric. In other words... promote your bullshit.

Psychology is the only discipline in the science realm that gets away with being called a science yet fails to stand up to stand scientific method of being able to be proven or disproven from all angles as it remains so ambiguous and up to individual interpretation to ever be genuinely scrutinized as a legitimate science. After all, it took psychology to invent, "new math" turning math into a philosophical debate - 2+2=5, so, inversely speaking, 2-2= -1? No... ask your contractor to build your home or survey your property with psychology's new math and see how well this turns out.

0|1
    0|0
  • There's a strong force to reduce men to be marshmallows soft.

A man who purposely chooses to live outside of his natural masculine nature has already lost in life big time.

0|0
    1|0
  • what the fuck is wrong with scientists
    they swallowed too much SOY or what

0|1
    1|0
  • And transgenderism is okay? What the fuck is wrong with the west.

1|2
    1|0
  • You have to realize that almost all major public institutions have been subverted by a small clique of people bent on our destruction.

0|2
    1|0
  • Show more from Guys

Recommended myTakes