Why do backpackers beg for money from the locals?

Keep in mind that these beggers are from the countries where their currency is so much higher than us 🙄. It's ridiculous to beg us to fund their travel when they have enough money to fly here as a tourist. Recently, a Russian couple was detained after performing a "baby stunt" by swinging his child in the street.

311

Most Helpful Guys

• Just a bunch of entitled people who want everything from free.
    I sometimes watch shows or read stories about people who, "Traveled the world with no money, and relied on friendly locals to give them food, shelter and transportation."
    They say they're trying to show that there is still good in the world, but really, these are nothing but a bunch of free loaders. I've never gone further than asking locals for a ride, and even than I paid them for it. I mean, if someone offered to pay for my trip, of course I wouldn't refuse, but my morals would never allow me to beg for money from locals. I find that sort of thing extremely shameful. And I've learned to stop giving, unless I see they are truly poor.

One time in college I gave this guy a dollar for lunch. I thought okay, "I've been in situations where I've forgotten lunch money or been short on it, and people have helped ME", so I thought okay, I will give him a dollar. But than I noticed that he was asking people for money every day, so I never gave him any again, because I realized he was basically asking a dollar from people until he had enough dollars to buy himself a lunch. These kind of people disgust me!

• People that backpack around foreign countries for a year or more obviously don’t hold down a job. Just because they come from a nation where someone else is hustling a 50 hour work week day in and day out doesn’t mean everyone is wealthy. The economy probably wasn’t working in their favor here, so they got the stupid idea to catch a plane to go see the world for a bit and try to find odd jobs somewhere else until things improved for them back home. They’re your typical person that runs from their problems on a dream rather than digging deep to make things work.

Most Helpful Girl

• Might have been robbed or had an emergency that required a lot of funding. Might have miscalculated how much they needee and ran out or just thought they could live off the locals