Cop shoots and kills a 28 year old woman in her own home after neighbor calls for a wellness check. Thoughts?

A black woman was shot and killed by police inside her own home early Saturday morning in Fort Worth, Texas, after her neighbor called a nonemergency police number for a wellness check on her. Atatiana Koquice Jefferson, 28, was killed in a bedroom at the home at around 2:30 a. m., according to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner.

The body camera footage shows the officer approaching the house and noticed the front door was open and lights were on. The officer goes around the back and looks through a window and sees a person. He says "put your hands up, show me your hands" before firing one shot all within four seconds. The police released the body cam footage and photos of a gun found inside the house but it's unclear whether the victim was near the gun when she was shot. The officer has been placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation. And the neighbor that called the police places the blame on himself saying “If I had never dialed the police department, she’d still be alive".

Thoughts? Some wellness check huh? It's really sad that this happened and that she most likely would have lived if the neighbor didn't call police. If you suspected someone in the house, like a robber, why wouldn't you go into the house and call for backup? I hope this cop gets fired and charged with murder.
1 mo
The victim was playing video games at the time with her nephew. I'm glad the cop is charged with murder. He deserves it.
91
22