Do guys expect big gifts on Valentine's day?

I'm a big romantic and love Valentine's day (that happens to be my birthday too!) and I would love something like cute baloons, pretty flowers and a surprise picnic - all planned by my SO. I know it sounds like a lot, but it really means a lot to me.

Thing is, do guys also expect something big? Or a really nice gift? I made a homemade album and I might get him something else, but I'm not sure what to do

Does that sound unfair? Or would you feel emasculated?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm also a big romantic, and for Valentine's I don't really expect anything, since to me, it's a day for her. But, I wouldn't mind a little something, that being a small card expressing your feelings towards you and I what I mean to you. That would be perfect.

What Guys Said 18

• Not all guys are materialistic. Personally, I wouldn't ask or want anything besides spending time with my girlfriend (if I had one) on Valentines. Making some great memories and experiences together can be the best gift you can share with someone. But hey, can't go wrong with wine, chocolate or other tasty foods. All guys love food. Shit. Get him some good jerky. All that matters in the end, is that you put some thought into whatever you give him. Whether its a homemade album, food, or some other gift.

• I would give more importance to get something symbolic from her, than actual sex. Not big gifts, just something would really make my day.

Could be a lamme poem... it would still be one of the most important ones for me.

• I'd never expect a gift. Valentine's day is about making the girl feel like a princess, not about the guy. :)

• Yes, because it's time women starting paying their equal share. We give you expensive jewelry and you should give us a rolex.

• The common expectation is that the guy does something big and romantic for the girl on Valentine's day, not the other way around. As far as social expectations are concerned you're not expected to do anything at all for him, the pressure is solely on him.

So it's up to you: Do you want to do something for him? Then do it. If you don't want to then don't. :)

• I don't expect. It only leads to disappointment. I'd much rather be pleasantly surprised

• I expect nothing on valentines day because valentines day means nothing to me.

• I expect nothing

• Just a nice card or a tube full of candies such as Hershey Kisses. I am sure that he will appreciate it like I did.

• Not really sex would be pretty great tho

• You realize there's a big problem when sex is supposed to be a special gift...

• I agree with @asker.

• I don't. Im single so it would be really weird if I got something.

• I don't even expect a kiss. Valentine's day sucks.

• You mind change your mind when you're deeply in love with someone and they are too ;)

• The most I would ever expect is like a bag of candy or something. Nothing too fancy

• I'm not expecting anything, I'm single.
    I usually buy myself something

• nope just appreciation and sex

• Just a bj

• Something small, appreciation for what we did, and out of the ordinary sex, maybe focused on what we'd most like.

• A surprise butt sex and anal creampie would be nice.

What Girls Said 2

• Depends on the guy tbh...

• The important thing is its function more than its size!