Is Valentine's Day important to you? Would you get mad if your partner didn't like Vday?

I'm asking since people seem very divided on this subject. Some people love it and would get hurt if their partner didn't want to celebrate V-day. Other people don't like it/don't think it's important at all. So what do you think?

3742

Most Helpful Guy

• It is not important at all.
    I wouldn't care if my girlfriend didn't wanted to celebrate or if i get her something and she don't. But i totally respect my girl's decision and feeling. If it's important to her then it becomes important to me too and if not then my real feelings is that i don't care much about it.

Such days are an excuse to be unified again, to be happy and together. That's positive. But we shouldn't be unified and together only on special occasions. How about try to be happy, respect each other and love each other ultimately and cherish our existence everyday?

Plus, the fact that people make negative milestones and unnecessary tensions out of such days.

-Materialist perspective and getting upset/fighting why the partner not spending enough money.
    -High expectations for certain gifts and acts during the event
    -Making a challenge about who do it sooner and who do it better
    -A burden of doing something new every time or things going to be ruined.

While such events suppose to be just a simple, plain and a beautiful excuse to be happy. Nothing more.

Most Helpful Girl

• Not that important to me. Honestly, you can say not important at all xD coz like for me, if you love someone you would show it always, if you wanna give a gift to someone you can give it any day, etc. No need for it to be when its Valentines day. ๐Ÿ™‰ Its cute if your partner did something to surprise you, sent a love letter, gave a rose, or decided to surprise you by taking you out, all those are cute to me since I love nice and thoughtful surprises but I definitely won't be slightly mad (not even bothered) about it

What Guys Said 41

• No. Just like with days like mother/father's day, and other similar ones, I think there shouldn't be a day to celebrate "love", because it's something that should be celebrated every single day. You need to care for your partner every day, not just one day a year. You need to do special things for them often.
    I personally don't care if Valentine's Day is celebrated or not, but if my girl likes it, then I would celebrate it, I have no problem with that.

• I wouldn't care if she liked it or not. It's a nonsense "holiday" most guys don't care about it. I don't care if I don't get a give or card. Although it is a guaranteed day to have sex.

• not it's not that important and no i wouldn't care if my partner didn't like it

neither my wife or i put much stock in it but we do still try to do something nice for each other but wouldn't care if we didn't either

• Valentines Day is not important by any stretch of the imagination. It's just another day where corporations cash out on simple people and the ubiquitous feeling of "love". In fact, I would be grateful if I had a girlfriend who didn't care about that kind of stuff.

• Nah.
    A real man loves his woman EVERY DAY OF THE YEAR... AND... everyday of the month. ( อกยฐ อœส– อกยฐ)
    But why not make it fun and special eh?

• Many believe there's nothing special about Vday :D

• Well there's nothing special about... any day , a day is just the earth rotating along her axis once , and dates are just our way of counting our days but we as people can make that day a little something more than just another Tuesday , can't we? :P
      It's fun to have special little days to remind us what's important or else it's going to be really easy to lose ourselves in the daily grind XD

• This is exactly how I feel. We should show our love for the people we care about every day, but that doesn't mean there's no reason to have a special day to celebrate it specifically.

• Well since love is the core of the relationship and that day puts emphasis on it, yes I would be bummed out.

• No, of course I would not get mad... we either love something or we don't.
    If I love her and she doesn't enjoy Valentine than we'll find other days to do nice things together, no worries :D

• Not important for me currently. That may or may not change depending on how the future gal in my life views it.

For the record, I think one needs to show appreciation to their s/o everyday and not just on "designated days (i. e. birthdays, v-day, NYE, etc.).

• My wife and I love each other, so Valentine's Day isn't a big event, because everyday is kind of a Valentine's Day for us.

• I don't think it's important but i'm somewhat of a romantic, so I'll celebrate it if I'm in a relationship. Just another excuse to make her feel special.

• Nope, you can't set a day for love.
    Why is it that you have to wait for a specific day just to treat your partner, it's ridiculous.

• Valentine's Day is not supposed to be the only day when you show your partner that you care about them. It's just a specific time to pay extra attention and celebrate it in fun ways that you might not always have the time for.

• It doesn't have to be. If you'd rather celebrate on another day, that's fine. But taking a holiday to focus on it EXTRA and really take it a step further (in a way that simply wouldn't be practical to do every day) is fun. There's really no reason not to do it. Celebrating Valentine's day doesn't mean you can't show your appreciation for your partner on every other day as well.

• Totally agree with you! ๐Ÿ˜Š it's just that like fathers and mothers day. I just feel like it is forced. Nothing else.
      I'm more of showing love and appreciation 24/7. Nothing more pleasing than putting a little smile on your partner by spontaneously dragging her out on a surprise road trip or a gift.

• Well I don't use profanity usually but I'm this given context " LMFAO Hell to the fuck no!" If you love them you don't need a special day to say that, if he/she takes the chance to turn off your alarm and gently tries to wake you up soothingly with their voice rather than that freaking *beep* *beep* thats love. that's some serious love because it's the little things that matter which are most underrated. Am I drifting the topic? Fuck no! the topic is "Do you need a single day in a year to say she matters to you?" hahaha I'm still laughing my ass off in really sorry but that's some hilarious shit man! Treasure her if you think she's worth it.. every single day of your fucking life and do it like your life depended on it. That's how you don't need a Valentine's day. At this pace, if somebody likes you this much.. would you get mad if they didn't like Vday?
    That's like complaining for not snowing in Britain!!! during winters!!

• It's never been a big day for me. Had I had an SO I may have answered differently, but since I haven't had one, I can't know if I'm a romantic enough guy to get myself involved in the holiday.

• I think that's fair.

• Saying "Vday" though makes me think of Eve Ensler and "The Vagina Monologues." Guess that's where my mind is...

• I think she retconned Valentine's Day as Violence Against Women Day. She was on somebody's list of people screwing up America.

• I can't stand that day

• No. It's a dumb consumerist holiday that deserves no praise. If anything, if you're convinced that you need to celebrate Valentine's Day and if, therefore, you would get mad if your partner were to dislike it, you might need to reconsider your priorities in relationships.

• Important no but I would still do something on that day it's just fun. With that being said, it shouldn't be the only day you do something nice for him/her. I always enjoyed it

• Not important to me
    Its not even a real holiday
    Just something made up so people can sell stuff
    That being said if im in a relationship ill buy flowers and take the girl out because i have yet to date a girl where its not required

• I'd be awfully disappointed, but it would take a lot more than that for me to be mad at her.

• I dont think it's important at all. I just dont care about it myself.
    But if your guy is cold all the year he needs to come up with something on this day at least.

• Valentine's day is another day that I'm alive to witness so yes it is important to me and no I wouldn't get mad.

• i can take or leave it, I've had girlfriends where we celebrated it and ones where we didn't. it just depends if they're into it i guess

• It's not important to me at all, i fucking hate the holiday; for one thing you're celebrating a massacure

• me and my girlfriend don't really celebrate valentines day because we show how much we love each other every day and do random acts of kindness for each other

• actully it doesn't matter if its v-day, if u r in love every day is v-day๐Ÿ˜˜

• depends if there reason was valid

• Not at all.

• MEhhh

• A no followed by another no.

• they may as well rename valentines day to womens day, because thats what its all about xD

• Where I come from it seems like couples celebrate it *together*, it's not really about men courting women :)

• Heh :D it's also called "Friend's day" in both Finnish and Swedish so you can celebrate it with your friends too.

• you guys sure do know how to milk it... damn

• Not at all.
    Damn girls

• More from Guys
    11

What Girls Said 36

• Valentine's day has been one of my favorite holidays since long before I started dating. Celebrating it is something I do regardless of my relationship status. I show my appreciation for friends and family too, not just my boyfriend.

But I do want to celebrate it with my boyfriend too. And I've never had a boyfriend not be excited to celebrate it with me, or at least happy to go along with it once they saw how much it meant to me. Plus, he knows he's going to get pampered, so why would he complain?

A lot of people who don't like Valentine's day think it's just a Hallmark holiday that's all about consumerism, but it actually has some very interesting history connected with it.

• Would I get mad if my partner didn't like V-day? Well, I'd definitely be upset if he refused to celebrate it with me. And I think a person would have to be a real stick in the mud to refuse to put in even a tiny bit of effort or just go along with something that their partner is super excited for, especially if they're going to benefit from it.

• "And I think a person would have to be a real stick in the mud to refuse to put in even a tiny bit of effort or just go along with something that their partner is super excited for, especially if they're going to benefit from it"

I'm not a fan of V-day myself but I definitely agree with you there. If the expectation simply is to do something cute together, then I personally don't see why not :) a person would have to really be stubborn to not want to do something nice with their partner simply because of what day it is.

• Exactly. Not everyone has to love Valentine's day, but being a super grump about it is just unnecessary.

• Valentines day has been neutral for me, not bad, not good either.

but ofcourse I look at it in a holistic way, this may be great when you have your own relationship to celebrate it with, but it also does not only limit to a significant other, you can send the love to your immediate family aswell or friends.

If my lartner hated V day I would not take it against him, simply because he may have personal valid reasons but ofcourse it does not mean it affects the relationship we have especially if I know he is at his best even if V day is not around, it counts ๐Ÿ˜Š

• Since some men tend to be so egocentric and cold during the whole year, some women are happy to receive some warm love for Vday.

Others don't care and just see it as a normal day just like any other day.

To me it is important since it is an international day, but it's more important to have a little Vday everyday, so according to me a man should love and express this love to his woman everyday, with small gestures, kisses and hugs.

<3

• u wanna know how i'll tell her that how much i love her? ๐Ÿ˜›

• It isn't important really and I wouldn't get mad. My boyfriend treats me wonderfully every day. He's only seeing Vday as an excuse to have a "super date" lol rather than just another date. I am giving him a gift that's handmade just cause I know it'll be special to him. It's something he can keep too not just 1day/1 time usage.

• Nope... I generally don't care. We usually do a movie night and carry out so as to avoid the crowds out and about.

• I honestly don't think it's important. Never cared about Valentine's day. People have thought it was because I was single haha, I have a boyfriend now and I truly love him and would love to start a family with him, and I still don't care about Valentine's day.

• Not really. I can understand why he wouldn't like it. It is very commercialized and it encourages putting a monetary value on affection. He shouldn't feel obligated to do something romantic because of the time of year. It would feel strange not to anything for it though. ๐Ÿ˜ž

• Nah, it's not important to me. We usually don't do anything though sometimes I'll buy him a gift.

• It's not important to me but it would be nice to have 1 nice valentines day in my life. Last time I got ANYTHING was 2006 and a boy got me a card. I've not been single every v day since then either ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

• It is only because I've never had a good one or a Valentine's date. This year I do so I'm excited. However, it probably won't be important after this year.

• I'd be the most satisfied if my SO was as indifferent as I am about that day...

• I love it because its my birthday. So yes i would be disappointed if my man didn't do anything for me. Lol

• I would like to celebrate it with him and have a date with him on That day, but I won't expect it to be any different than any other date. No gifts, no flowers, just him and me at a nice place celebrating being together

• No. I couldn't care less about it.

• For me it's just a normal day, but it gives a reason to do something fun. It's not about the day itself. If he doesn't want to do something fun with me once in a while then yes I would get mad, but it doesn't have to be on the day itself.

• I don't really care about Vals day. Sure it's nice cus it comes with flowers and chocolate but for me I always think that everyday is a special day when you can spend it with your loved ones

• I wouldn't be mad. In my opinion, Valentine's Day is just a made up holiday for companies to make more money. I would be happy to spend any day of the year with him.

• I'd be okay either celebrating it or not. I think it would be nice to at least hang out that day and share a little love, even if we didn't do anything special, but I don't care about gifts or candy and whatnot. Or if they were really into it, I could enjoy being into for their sake as well. I'm alright with compromise on that issue.

• I absolutely hate Valentine's Day. It's overrated and I don't want my guy to give me flowers just because it's Valentine's you know? I'm actually happy that the guy I like hates it as much as I do.

• I wouldn't be mad if he hated it , however a little gift would be cute. It doesn't have to be big

• I don't celebrate that day so I won't really get mad.

• not important for me

• I'm always alone on vday so I ignore it

• I wouldn't want anything extravigant, a nice dinner date is fine or a night in movie night. Just small gestures that mean you've thought of them are enough.

• I don't care about this day at all.

• I celebrate it for the Starbucks coffee, food and candy I get all day. I don't have a boyfriend so no need.

• Ill pull a shystie on him. get my friends to pull his pants down while i tie him up and pluck him and whip him

• as punishment for not celebrating it or that is how you celebrate it? XD

• Don't care about it

• no but it's basically a makeup day if you forgot you anaversery

• No and no. I don't care much for it.

• More from Girls
    6