#LoveYourself
VALENTINE'S DAY

In Finland Valentine's day is celebrated as Friends' day instead of a romantic holiday. What do you think?

I've always thought it's kinda funny that in most countries I know Valentine's day is for lovers. Everything is heart shaped, you give gifts to your partner, have a romantic date. And I think it's nice, I'd love to do that with my boyfriend, but the 14th of February is way different in Finland.

Here it's always been about friends instead. People send cards to their friends and give gifts, celebrate their friendship. We used to have hug events in school for collecting and giving hugs to school mates. Of course the commercialism is catching up. We Finns like to copy what people do elsewhere. But the official name of the date is still Friends' day.

Both styles have a downside. Not everyone is in a romantic relationship and not everyone has friends. People could also argue that both lovers and friends should be appreciated every day. They don't need a special day. But what do you think? A stupid commercial holiday or a nice gesture to your loved ones? Would you rather celebrate friendship or love, or maybe both?

1325

Most Helpful Guy

• I'd rather celebrate it in a more friendly way, instead of romantic way. Since I've been hurt multiple times when it comes to love. The singles need appreciation too, especially in a day where they otherwise would've been snowed in by lovers. Valentine's day is pretty much just marketing. A day in which the sales of roses and chocolate almost double. You should give your partner a gift, almost every day, not just February 14th. Most of the time, the guys are the one that have to give the flowers, while it's possible to be the other way, for a shy person like me, it would be more beneficial if it went otherwise. But hey, I like chocolate, and this day offers me enough of it to eat for a day or two.

Most Helpful Girl

• ... I feel like celebrating non-romantic relationships, as well as romantic ones, is done in several places. I mean, back when I was single, I'd invite my friends out for dinner for Valentine's day, followed by some wine and watching romcoms afterwards too.

Also, whether retail stores are churning out Valentine's day merchandise for couples or just friends, that wouldn't change how the holiday is primarily a money-grab either way.

What Guys Said 24

• Valentine means the person whom you love and respect. It would be any one. Like mom, father, brother, sister even your friends. It not necessarily that it would be your lover only.

• Sounds good to me. Also, Valentine's Day the way it's celebrated has nothing to do with Saint Valentine's or his story. So not sure how the romanticism came about for this "holiday". As well, really, we have to spend all this money and show all this affection for one day, where we really should be like this to the one we love every day we are with them.

So really, Valentine's day is just another money making scheme.

• In grade school (K-12) this was all about friends & classmates, cheap cards & candy.
    College & above it's fun & celebrations made easy and convenient by greedy merchants, sooooo why not? Many find an excuse for extra sex as well.

• thanks for the information you shared, in iran we also copied valentine day but we persian have our own day for love , so sometimes i am confused if i am in a relationship when should give gifts ( as a nationalist i love to be gifted on persian love day) but some people don't know the day because the government is against anything that existed before islam so they don't let it on calendars, but these people know valentine, so i prefer to give gifts on both occasion,

• I think friends and partner they should be appreciated everyday , buy that doesn't mind to appreciate them more in that day... even without gifts a few nice words from your friend or your partner it will be like the magic on you

• Finland is "Friend zone Day" and in the United States it's "buy these $12,000 diamond earrings discounted at $9,000!!!"
    I think I'd spend a friendzone day in finlandia

• I think it's way better than the soppy, crappy version we have. Just chill with the dudes...

Simples...

• I remember that in my youth the teachers at my elementary skool encouraged us to make Valentine's day cards for friends. I don't remember them referring to crushes at all, and obviously that's way too young to understand love. I feel like that's better, the friendship acknowledgement. I ignore friends more than lovers. I'm always bringing home trinkets, snacks and often flowers, potted of course. The pressure of added "romance" by the purveyors of romantic accoutrements infuriates me, more so when my girlfriend falls for that hooey. As though I haven't been doing sweet and romantic things literally all year long. It's a greed hangover, and I hate nothing more than greed. Capitalism ruins everything. It will be the end of mankind.

• Finland - I love you
    I'd take Friend's Day over Valentine's Day anytime (as long as I'm single 😂)

• Valentine's day is marketing day the companies make more money.

• Sounds amazing. Will you be my valentine this year.

• It's a very awsome thing
    I wish i could be in Finland

• Yep you are right , they must be celebrated every single day.

• prefer to celebrate love, don't see point of friend day

• Great idea. But I kinda like it how it is..

• I think I like the idea of friends' day better.

• interesting concept

I like the idea!

• Finland is the greatest country in the world

• what are you gonna do on feb 14?

• meant to say it’s great bc it adds meaning to the word love ❤️ instead of the standard romance terminology

• what ever works if people love it keep it up

• More from Guys
    4

What Girls Said 12

• I don't think there needs to be a specific holiday to celebrate romantic love or friendship. Holidays in general just add unnecessary stress and a sense of entitlement to receive gifts. It's just another day on the calendar.

• It’s like that in Sweden as well. We celebrate all kinds of relationships weather it’s friends, family or lovers. We celebrate love in general and I like that. It makes everyone involved and not just couples and it’s great

• Friends day seems sweet :) though when i'm in a relationship i like valentines day, when i'm single not so much.. so do the cards out there say, "happy friends day" rather than "happy valentines day"?

• I think that's pretty cool, where I'm from everyone brags about their dates which is amazing and I'm happy for them but I much prefer the idea or celebrating friendship

• That's a much better idea. I'd rather give my friends cute cards and chocolate than be pressured to find a date. I love going out with my friends!

• Aww I like that idea, I wish it was like that in my country.

• but still, that sounds awesome <3

• I don't care.
    Celebrate how ever u want.

• I still won't get any gifts

• That is very nice every one celebrates

• It's nice that it's a friends day in Finland, I think both are sweet ideas however I still wouldn't celebrate either of them.

• I think that would be lovely!!! I’ve always been alone on V-day... having it be a friendship day would be epic!