#LoveYourself
VALENTINE'S DAY

How do you feel about being single on Valentine's day?

I can't help but feel a little sad about it, although i know its not a big deal and a day created for commercial purposes

2435

Most Helpful Guy

• You're right that it's just for commercial purposes, but it still makes me feel bad. Like I'm lonely enough everyday of the year, I don't need a day dedicated to reminding me that no girls like me and telling me that I am less important than people that are in a relationship.

• yeah thats exactly how i feel!!
      like the rationnal part of me knows its jst any day, but i can't help but feel a little sad

• Yeah it's just another day but that day and like the two weeks leading up to it are full of Valentine's ads, sales and other forms of media basically celebrating people in a relationship. Some single people may not care, but ones who really want a relationship but don't have one probably are always a bit down on themselves but feel extra sad during this time.

Most Helpful Girl

• I've been single for many many Valentine's days, and I've never though much of it. Even now that I'm in a relationship, I don't think much of it.
    Valentine's day has never really mattered to me. I'm not sure if that's because I'm a pretty chill person in general, or because of the culture in my country (or both). Valentine's day seems way more important in the US compared to where I'm from, which is Finland. Here, we actually call it Friend's day, and we celebrate not just partners, but also friends and family. And although a lot of the stores here start selling cards and chocolate, it isn't as heavily marketed and "in your face" as it seems to be in the US. So it's easy to forget that it's even a thing that exists. I've gone a few years without even realizing that it's V-day.
    I think it's a bit silly to feel even lonelier on Valentine's day, or to bitterly call it "single awareness day" or whatever. Fact of the matter is that it's just like any other day, really. It's just an excuse for stores to sell my cards, flowers and chocolates. So you can either feel sorry for yourself and the fact that you're single (which you are on any other day of the week anyways, mind you), or you can just treat it like a normal day and not think too hard about it.
    And if it makes you feel better, you can use it as an excuse to pamper yourself. Get some chocolate for yourself. Relax at home. Do a face mask. Have a hot beverage. Call a friend and have a chill night in with some Netflix and pizza. It's really not that serious.

What Guys Said 34

• In different. I've never had a date or SO on Valentine's day. I've also never really celebrated it. I got one girl something, but I just treat my mom to something nice, like some chocolate and flowers or take her out to dinner. I celebrate the Finnish holiday on that day though.

• Nothing to be sad about, emotions comes and goes. Just think of "happy" times you've had in your life. What are the things that you enjoyed most in your life and made you feel good or better? Focus your mind and thoughts on them, you'll be a'ight.

• I feel a little disappointed. Not so much just because of the holiday, but a reminder that these little moments aren't shared.

Every day is a reminder of being single.

Very few friends are available - even the "bachelors" have met and gotten married and are having kids; so in years past, I've been able to kind of try to ignore it by hanging out with them - The last few years, I've been alone, as they've all been in steady relationships. No parties, no singles events, nothing that helps keep my mind off it.

• Lonely, but everytime I get into a happy relationship. I always fear missing out and so I leave and get into another relationship, Constant cycle. Is it just me?

• I spent all my v days single, and you would think that I'm used to it after all that time...

Well i'm not, each time, that reminds me that i'm all alone and it's a serious punch in the balls.

• I personally don't really feel any different than any other day but yeah my complete personality comes down to an introvert loner so it's easy for me to just ignore valentines day 😅

• I honestly could care less about Valentine's Day. Are you implying it doesn't hurt the other 364 days of the year I am alone?

• I personally don't care, but I won't try to make myself feel better by saying it's only for commercial purposes.

• I wish i didn't care lol
      but what I mean by that is that I don't need to celebrate my love once a year on that specific day by having my significant other buying me stuff.
      I'd rather have him do romantic actions other times of the year, it would be spontaneous and much more thoughtful.

• It's not a big deal of being single on valentines day
    I feel happy because no commitment on that day.😎

• Much better. Too much pressure on a dumb Holiday to have fun if dating... and it's never that exciting

• My all friends are out with thr girlfriend n I'm sitting at home

• If it makes you feel better, I feel pretty sad about it too. Wanna be Valentines?

• Happy I wouldn't be stressing about making dinner plans all week

• I don't feel too sad. I try to surround myself with friends and family which makes it easier.

• I feel sad too about being single on Valentine's Day

• Live without love is not called living its called waiting for the right opretunity to live

• thats a little depressing lol
      i think someone can be accomplished without having a lover

• I couldn't care although it seems I'm taking someone out at the moment

• It doesn't matter to me. by the way are you single?😄😏

• It doesn't matter to me.

• Like the other days xD

• More from Guys
    14

What Girls Said 23

• I am not single this Valentine’s Day, but my boyfriend and I don’t do anything special on valentines. For us it’s just a reason to spend money. I used to feel sad because you sometimes see the girls who get like 100 roses and a teddy bear. There’s no reason to feel sad! Treat yourself if you want :)

• Considering I've never had a relationship before, let alone during Valentine's Day, I can't help but feel a little sad. Even a little disappointed. I know it's not the end of the world, but...

• It doesn't bother me. I've always been single and I know I will only have a boyfriend (if I ever have one) within 5, 6 or even 7 years.
    And just like you said, it's a day created for commercial purposes. It will be just like another day for me.

• Not big deal I b een alone and single my entire life of 40 years so I Valentine days is not for me and if it was for me it is just about any other day of the calendar period. Nothing to celebrate about just because one day

• at this point i got used to it lol i would love to have a date but i dont and thats ok too ill have a galentine's day you know i think galentines day should be a thing

• All I want is candy for valentines day. I could care less if I'm single or not.

• I feel so amazing cuz I don't have to empress anyone neither would have to be dependent on others to make me feel special

• I'm happily single so I don't mind being single on Valentine's day.

• I tend to feel sad and lonely despite knowing its marketing thing

• Not ideal, but doesn't phase me too much, I have more important things to focus on

• I’ve been single on a lot of Valentines Days. It just felt like another day on the calendar.

• Feels great. I got asked out but nah.

• I would love it. Head to the swimming pool for me!

• I don't mind

• It's just another day on the calendar.

• It's just like any other day.

• I feel okay

• Normal. It's just ordinary day

• Awsome and happy!

• Sad thanks for reminding me

• More from Girls
    3