#LoveYourself
VALENTINE'S DAY

Too expensive for Valentine's gift or perfect amount?

So basically, one of my friends asked me to help shop for a gift for their new boyfriend, they've only been dating near a month now, we kept going in and out of shops looking for the perfect gift for him. I was asking questions on what kind of things he liked, she said that he liked vintage things and that was all she knew. Anyway, we decided to try and find an antique shop and get something there. She brought two things, a pocketwatch and a replica zippo lighter - don't remember the date - it costed up to Β£110.

I personally thought that was too much to spend on somebody you've just got into a relationship with but she doesn't seem to think so.

Is it that expensive or the right amount and that I'm just a cheap person?

26

Most Helpful Guy

• in my opinion that's too much for a gift from someone so young after such a short time. But I don't know her circumstances. Maybe she's on a generous allowance. If they were 20-something with decent careers it would be different. It's easy to spend that much on a single night out.

• It is that easy to spend on an nightout but after that we're all struggling a bit to save up, she doing good for money but I just thought it was a little too much.

Most Helpful Girl

• Wow. No I think it is very expensive. Of course it depends on how much money she has and where you guys live... you are not a cheap person don't even listen to those who say you are. I wouldn't even spend that much for my husband foe Valentine's day. Heck! I don't spend that much for myself!

• I guess more people are doing it now? I don't know but if they are, then you and your husband should go for it haha.

• Nah, I wouldn't do something just because others are doing it... there are so many creative ways to spend that money. Where I live the basic salary is 300 euro. Would I spend 100 just for a gift? You see it sounds ridiculous. If I made thousands, I suppose it wouldn't seem that bad.
      In any case, for a one month boyfriend it's not a good idea in my opinion.

• Exactly thank you haha, she makes good enough money but I can't see a good reason for her to spend that much on a new relationship.

What Guys Said 5

• Its expensive (to me, that is) Because relationships should not be based on monetary value and gifts. It should be based on fostering a stronger bond with your partner. If i had a partner i would get her something simple, and (together with her) plan the day out/in. I dont really want material gifts from her. I find a handwritten card really endearing, smh. Or even a recorded video or sth. Just my take , that Β£110 is waayyy too much. I won't wanna feel indebted to a girl who spends so much on me.

• Something sweet and simple is nice like that yeah exactly.

• You seem to have a pretty good humorous side to you and thank you too πŸ˜‚

• Nah. Not many laugh at my jokes. But there is always one thing i pull out that can make people laugh πŸ˜‚ Context: Singapore practises conscription, so males must serve in the Armed forces, Air force , or Navy for about 2 years before entering university. And it is common in camp to call people by their surnames (aka last names). I am traditionally Hokkien, so my surname is pronouced in hokkien as a very nasal p. Something like how squidward would say it. And in English , its literally pronounced "Pee". and written so. I am not kiddingπŸ˜‚. So i joke about people calling me "Recruit Pee" when i get enlisted next year, and it always cracks people up. Breaks ice! (Ok, im just bored, which is why im talkin here πŸ˜‚)

• Nah, you're just a cheap bitch. Girls like you deserve coal for valentines.

• No offence but i think your cheap. A couple hundred bucks isn't much.

• There is no yardstick for gifts, it is ok if your friend chose it herself which means she could afford it& thought it to be appropriate

• Nothing drastic chill

What Girls Said 1

• That’s like spouse spending. Not new boyfriend spending

• We had a disagreement about this, she said she just really liked him better than her last boyfriend.

• She can like him all she likes but it’s still too much