#LoveYourself
VALENTINE'S DAY

How important is Valentine's Day to you?

How important is Valentine's Day to you?Do you think it's necessary for couples to celebrate Valentine's Day? why/ why not?

And how would you feel if your SO didn't celebrate it?

95253

Most Helpful Guy

• Pretty important.

For my girlfriend and I, it just so happens that it was around Valentine's Day that we had our first (official) date. (We had known each other for about 4 months before then). It was also right around the time she moved in with me. We have been together now for over ten years and have three children, so since we decided that we did not want to be married, we made Valentine's Day our anniversary.

Consequently, each year, right around the day itself, we take the kids to the grandparents and spend a weekend just the two of us - either at a top of the line hotel in the city (DC) or at a B&B on the Chesapeake. We go out dancing, go to dinners, lay in bed till noon, all sorts of stuff - oh, and we have sex too. We love being parents, but we make it "just a couples" weekend.

This year we are going to the hotel the weekend after the holiday. On the day itself, since it is not a day off this year, I will likely get her flowers and a card, and she'll make a special dinner with candy and a card at each table setting - one each for the kids and one for me.

(My card always include a "coupon" for some wish of my choice. What will it be? What will... it... be?)

Most Helpful Girl

• I couldn't care Iess to be completely honest. It's overrated and honestly just commercialized bullshit anyway... It's all about the chocolates, the flowers and the perfect gift, not about the "feelings" that you're supposed to have for your S. O. I personally am not in a relationship, nor am I expecting anything this Valentine's, so I feel like for some of us V day is much more of a pain in the ass than a reward. Plus, you don't need an international holiday to celebrate your love for someone, you can just do that out of the blue, and for me it's even more special than celebrating this bullshit holiday.

What Guys Said 252

• I think its necessary. If your dating its a good day to plan something cuddly/kinky!! If its a long-term thing. you probably worked all day and have little time for something big. But you should texted her 5 to 10 times more with something nice to say! And see if things don't get kinky wink.!. If you have no one 😢 you should find someone in the same boat it would be a good day for that! Or go get plastered that could work out on Valentine's Day ha!

• I always thought it was a bullshit holiday. It's a bunch of marketing crap. Everything is overpriced and otherwise silly things are advertised and marked up a zillion percent for no good reason, and there is nothing you can say or do on Valentine's Day that you can't say or do the next day.

• To me, it's not important. If I wasn't single, I wouldn't need just one day to show my affection, I would do it daily. To me, Valentine's day is just a day in which I can eat a lot of chocolate, without getting lectured.

• It's absolutely bullshit.. If you can't love your SO all year round and need a stupid special day to celebrate it.. Then you guys got bigger problems than remembering to buy a gift on a stupid day.

Yes i am not in best since my SO broke up with me back in September... But i say this from the bottom of my heart, don't wait for one day a year to celebrate your love, celebrate it every single day or else it's not really love, just passing your time.

• I'd rather do something for my significant other on a day that is not tied to any specific day such as Valentine's Day. It has more meaning and most definitely gets a much greater reaction of surprise. Get them when they least expect it is my thoughts on this.

• That holiday is not really that important to me because i think of it just as another normal day to relax & do some regular & usual activities. Overall Valentine's Day is not really important to me at all. I love Thanksgiving & Christmas 1000x better than Valentines Day.

• It's an overrated holiday that almost forces people to express their love to one another, an excuse to treat your other half better. I want to treat my lady with nothing but Valentine spirit all the time. Bring her flowers and chocolate when she's glum, celebrate the good in her life with a dinner I made for her, treat her like nothing else in the world matters, but not only on Valentine's day, but everyday.

• Personally it just reminds me of my first major rejection. For years I had a crush on a girl and it didn't seem like she didn't like me. So I worked up the courage to ask her out and timed it for the week Valentines Day came up. That entire week I did small romantic gestures, a few anonymous at first and then leading up to an actual confession.

Ended up with a rejection letter and a broken heart. Took me 2 years to get over it.

• Well you don't actually need a day to celebrate love. Love is a feeling. Let it be that way. Personally Valentine's day is just a simple day where I love my girl the same as the other days. When I get one actually. I am single but if I had a girlfriend, i wouldn't need a day to celebrate our love.

• Right now Valentine's day is not really important to me because I am single. However, love should be shown everyday, but some people do not take the time everyday to show there love to someone else. So a day like Valentine day is a special day, the day to not only show love, but prove that love is real.

• I could be. if I could afford it. Not when I'm poor , the feelings of not being able to see how much I love someone with a gift sucks.
    And if you really want to give the woman you love the world but can't it hurts even if she doesn't care about gifts.

• Not important at all. I don't believe in it. Recognize it, maybe, but nobody should be obligated to feel like they have to be romantic on a certain arbitrary day when you should be showing your love year round. If my SO didn't believe in it either then perfect. If she does then she needs to acknowledge that refuse to go out of my way just for the sake of a bullshit day. If she gets mad then that's her problem, not mine. I've been with myself long enough to be fine by myself.

• I enjoy to celebrate Valentine's day. I think it is an opportunity to express your feelings. I would be very disappointed if my SO didn't feel the same. To keep the romance alive it is very important to take every opportunity to demonstrate your feelings. Celebrating Valentine's day is an affirmation.

• It’s only important if you have a significant other honestly... if it was important then most places will close for it. But the don’t so it’s not important.

• Commercial holiday designed to get our money. "Its about love" is a smokescreen. Its about money. Couldnt care less about this, single or not

• Pfft it's a day all guys dread, we have to spend money on overpriced flowers, and buy a gift that she probably won't really like and on top of all that try to get into a nice restaurant or make a nice dinner, and what do we get in return
    "Aw thanks babe you didn't have to!" but we all know we DID have to

• I think woman dont deserve a holiday thats based around men sucking up to them for the day unless they are one of those rare woman that actually act like a woman should. Also i think its just a way for the govt to make more money off the population and keep us busy with the holiday so we get less focused on the important shit in the world. Just like every other holiday though really...

• Lol 1 guy likes..1 girl dislikes... Who'da thought.

• Honestly, I can't stand it, not because it is all about PDA but because of the message. It is easy to treat her like she is special one day out of the year but a true sign of a good relationship is treating her special THROUGHOUT your whole relationship.

• Well actually yeah I think they should. It shows that they both care about each other and they treasure their love.

And if my my wife won't celebrate it I won't mind because it's a girl's thing. However if she doesn't want to celebrate our anniversary I would be worried.

• ... means nothing. Although i used to remember it coz my ex always expect something special.

What i mean i think all guys don't really care about valentine unless their girlfriend think that valentine is special.

• More from Guys
    232

What Girls Said 94

• I mean, if i'm in a relationship and all the other couples are setting aside some special time for their lovers... I'd definitely want some special time set aside for me too with my partner. Even if that special time was the day after valentines day or just a little love note, I'd just want to know that my partner was thinking about me. I would hate to be the only one in the relationship coming up with romantic gestures... I would feel a little neglected and forgotten.

• Rather than celebrating February 14, a specific day, I'd like it if every day would be a valentines day for couples.

Let your partner know how much you love her everyday, its not just one date, its every day you show him/her love. :)

• Not important at all. Just a Corporate gimmick. If you need a holiday to celebrate your love for each other that's pretty sad imho. However, the day or two after I do buy lots of the heart shaped chocolates that are drastically marked down now that the occasion has past LOL 😜

• It's not necessary, I won't even be able to celebrate. Why? Because you can make everyday special with your partner! It doesn't have to be on Valentine's day! These days on this day a lot of people just whine that tgey are lonely and will be watching TV series and eating ice cream. And couples are hated.

I'm good with it. My boyfriend agrees with me and doesn't see anything special, it's as any other day.

• It depends if I'm single then it's just a normal day. If I'm in a relationship with a person I see on a daily basis then I'd just watch a movie with them in the cinema or so but if I'd be in a long distanced relationship and we'd visit each other then of course it would be a special day for me

• Not important... spending your money on your girl or boy just because it's tradition it makes me feel they are forced to do it... anyways, you should show love everyday to your loved one and surprise them when you really feel and want to do it.

• Its important cause its not just about couples its about every type of love. Yes the main aspect of marketing is targeted at couples but the moral concept of valentines day was love before people started to hold misconceptions and stigmas.

• It’s not important to me, i dont have anyone to “celebrate” it with but even if i did it still wouldn’t be. The only plus side of it would be the on sale chocolate after it ends.

• Right now it's not that important to me because I don't have a boyfriend, and I just think that it's a very comericalized holiday, giving single people insecurities that they don't deserve.

• It's not essential I can agree to that.

I'd prefer to celebrate it and do something special but in the end all that really matters is spending the day with that someone special.

So my Valentine and I will just be staying home together, cuddled up, sick out our minds 😂😒😍

• I think Valentine's Day can be overrated sometimes. Why do we need a day to give our girl flowers with chocolates and saying I love you on this particular day. I appreciate it more on days where it's unexpected to be honest

• I think Valentine's day is not really important cause don't you love that somebody everday of your lives if my boyfriend and me didn't celebrate it I would still love him no matter what so yea we don't need a holiday just to love that person on when we do it everday

• It's just a corporate holiday to trap you into spending money. Plus, I think it's unfair that Valentine's Day is more for the females... I love my man every day, not just one day out of the year. Whatever people can get on Valentine's Day, they can get those things any day of the year.

• I don't care about Valentine's day and if my partner decided we want to celebrate it i would cringe , the idea of valentine day is just too cheesy and cringy for me but thank god my partner doesn't celebrate it either. Like why do i need a day to treat him extra well in it? I can do that everyday

• Didn't think it was important til my boyfriend spent it at the gym with a female mate, when we did originally plan to meet up with a group of friends, but because the friends bailed, he didn't bother still coming to hang out with me. My work mates got spoiled with pandora gifts, chocolates, roses and perfume. I got a 'happy valentines day' text. First valentines in a relationship and it's the loneliest I've ever felt.

• Every one these holidays below are significantly important.

- Easter
    -at. Patrick's
    -valintines
    -good Friday
    -spring solstice
    -summer solstice
    -fall solstice
    -winter solstice
    -thanksgiving
    -christmas
    -birthdays
    -new years eve

The rest I don't remember

• Sure I think it's swell! Bc it's the only day that you can realy concentrate on your loved one. I'd be disappointed if my man didn't want to spend it or celebrate it. I'll be crush... 😔

• I personally have nothing against Valentines Day, and still get something small for my boyfriend, but I do feel you should show love everyday, not just one day. And usually I appreciate the little things the most.

• I don't know, I've been too busy with college. lol. To me Valentines is one of my good childhood friends' birthdays, which is more worth celebrating for me.

• I've never had a valentine lol. At first I didn't care but now it's kind of worrying lol

Maybe I need to reassess that part of my life.

• More from Girls
    74