Should girls reject a gift from a guy she’s not interested in?

Especially this coming Valentine’s day. Is it wrong for a girl to accept a gift from a guy whom she will never be interested in? Or is accepting the gift the decent thing to do?

If a girl accepts a gift from a guy, would that raise the guy’s hope into having a shot with her?

Personally, I think accepting a gift from a guy who’s trying to date you would only lead him on, or if not, at least would make the girl feel obligated to something, but i also think rejecting a gift just because you’re not into the guy is rude and insensitive.

Thoughts?

814

Most Helpful Girl

• I would be upfront and honest and tell him in advance I am not romantically interested and a gift would not be appropriate. As hard as that is to hear, it is far harder to go through the effort and money to buy a gift for someone who does not want you.

Most Helpful Guys

• Yes.

Unfortunately, people (especially men) sometimes mistake certain gestures as a way of thinking they'll get something for their troubles. People like this are scummy and to be watched from afar.

Just be careful and protect yourself.

• Of course you should reject because even if you being nice with him you'll end up giving him wrong hints and he'll think there is still hopes... That's another thing if you want to keep his hopes up

712
  • Yes. But make the rejection as gently as possible, as he’s probably been working up the courage to express his feelings for a while. You can’t take the gift though. It sends the wrong message.

• The girl should definitely say no if she’s not interested. Accepting the gift is like telling him she welcomes his advances and wants his attention in that way.

• Maybe but it would be even ruder to not accept a gift that someone went out of their way to get for you

• Well the guy bought the gift for that girl so what else is he going to do with it? It's polite to accept it, just make sure in doing so you let him know you don't like him romantically.

• Wow your in a tough spot. I feel for both sides. I would want to accept it because I wouldn't want to hurt his feelings but at the same time, I wouldn't because I wouldn't want to lead him on. I think what I would do is say "oh what is this for? I didn't expect this" and wait for a response. If he says I'd like to go out on a date with you, just say "aww that is so incredibly sweet and thank you soo much for being soo thoughtful and thinking of me, but I do have a boyfriend ". If I was single, I would definitely be an option. "

I know it's kinda lying but bottom line is, you can't date him and cannot carry on any kind of romace. Maybe I'm wrong but I feel that would be letting him down as gentle as possible. Good luck :)

• Decline, yes... Especially if she feels this guy
    would take things the wrong way if she accepts.

• Best to just say "Thanks, but I can't accept this. I only accept gifts from close friends."

• Say clearly you will never consider a relationship with him and that you will never look at that gift thinking about that possibility. He will decide whether to give you that gift anyway or not.

• Yeah, it's a bad idea and can create a misperception she doesn't want.

• I rejected them saying I'm only accepting from close friends and family.

• I think either way it's bad. For me I think it's probably better for her to reject the gift.

• Should be if it's not making any further questions.

• Free gift is a free gift

• Yes Tell him. He spent Money on it.

• Of course. I don't want to give him mixed signals.

• Of course..
    Girls must..😅

• Make him takr it back and get something else. lol

• I had this happen I went to Florida and when I was there I bought something for a girl I liked and when I tried to give to her she was like I don’t want your gifts

• yes, it is. he's spending money on you. you're not in to him, you need to let him go