Generally speaking, why do girls like Valentine’s Day but men either don’t care or hate it?

why do men hate/don't care about Valentine's Day

2156

Most Helpful Guys

• Ah..."Gal-intine's Day". Women like it because (1) they get gifts, flowers, candy, etc. (2) they get to show of that they have a boyfriend to other girls (3) they get to compete with each other over whose boyfriend did the most for them (4) expensive meals free to them (5) They do not have to spend much if any money as his "gift" rides between their legs Men HATE it because (1) Expensive (2) Another opportunity to disappoint them because you didn't read their minds (3) Dinner means a long wait and crowded restaurants and too expensive for a meal that was hastily produced so the place can make more money off the holiday (4) Flower prices spike. These "Hallmark Holidays" are a tax (attacks?) on men.

• The holiday was forget created or taking over by big business companies years ago. To where it is almost expected of a guy to buy things like candy, cards, flowers and dinner etc.

When the true meaning of the holiday is to be with the one you love. and just spend time with them.

However from my experience if you typically buy s woman gifts any other day of the year. She either thinks you are trying to cover up something or trying to get something from her. This might not always be the case though.

Plus most things around the holiday are nearly twice or more there normal price. Then they are just a month or so ago. Due to mark ups from companies.

Most Helpful Girls

• Everyone saying it’s all about woman is pretty confusing to me.
    Yeah my boyfriends planned some things for us to go do. But I bought him some chocolates and small things I thought he’d like. We both don’t have a lot of money at the moment but we’re both doing our best. It doesn’t have to be a grand event or lavish gift.
    I feel like people are missing the bigger picture.

• My boyfriends dropping his sisters car off on Valentines Day so I don’t even get to see him and I’m sad.. 😩😭💔

• @Moochii I don’t think I’ll do anything with my boyfriend too because he’s working all day 😞

• I'm getting a box of Krispy Kreme heart donuts to share with the hubby and kids and a little box of my husband's favourite chocolate just for him.

• It’s a shame that men see it this way. I enjoy spoiling my partner too.

1954
  • Who said guys don't care or hate it?

In my case, by a strange coincidence, the first time my girlfriend and I met happened to be around - though not on - Valentine's Day. Then, pure chance, I asked her to move in with me right around Valentine's Day. So, two significant events in our lives, it was just meant to be that we would treat the day in a special way.

Actually, what we do depends a little bit on when the day falls. If it falls on a week day with work and school that day and the following day, I usually bring my girlfriend home a bouquete of roses - red, of course - and a funny card. My girlfriend makes a special dinner - something I like - and places a heart shape box of chocolate and a funny card at my place setting on the table. We also, for each of our three kids, place a card and a small wrapped toy - and we just have a nice family dinner.

Then, for the weekend closest to the holiday, my girlfriend will take the kids down to stay with their grandparents - her parents - for the weekend. Then, we live in the Washington, DC (northern Virginia, actually) area, so we spend the whole weekend - plus the following Monday - just the two of us either at a little B&B on the Chesapeake in Maryland, or we go and stay at the Hotel Washington which overlooks the White House.

If the former, it usually is just very relaxed. Depending on the weather we might just spend the whole time in bed or go for a walk on the beach or visit the little shops in the nearby town. If it is the Hotel Washington, still a lot of time in bed, but we do formal - i. e., me coat and tie - dinners out, maybe to a play at the Kennedy Center, and out for dancing.

Either way we get each other some gifts, including by a funny tradition, sexy underwear. We get each other romantic cards and we just make it a special time for just the two of us. (Though, invariably, after dropping the kids off we spend an inordinate amount of time talking about the kids. Hey, we are proud parents! It's what we do!)

Oh, and of course, we do a lot of - ahem - other things.

This schedule, as I noted, varies somewhat depending on when the holiday falls - week day or weekend. Further, sometimes her parents will come up and stay with the kids at our place - her parents live in southwestern Virginia - and sometimes, as I noted, we take the kids down to where they live. If the holiday falls on the weekend, we always make it a point to have a "kid's weekend" the following weekend so they get a Valentine's Day, too.

So, as you can see, we make something of it - and honestly, we both think that having that time just the two of us is important. Even if our "anniversary" was not around that time, we would use the holiday as a way to get that time with just the two of us.

Suffice to say, while I don't obsess about it, I look forward to it. In fact, we are taking the kids to the grandparent's house later today and the we are off to the Hotel Washington tomorrow.

Get back to you next Tuesday and I'll let you know if I have changed my mind after that. Right now, though, I am psyched!!

• Because it's a shallow and clear example of the pressure put on men by women and gift companies that demand the man measures up on this day more than any other but including every other day, except this day men are expected to go above and beyond to prove to their so that they love them all the while it's patently clearly understood that this is 2019 and there is just no excuse for it as women are equal to men so have no damned right to expect special treatment on any day let alone this one nor do women have any right to expect that they are placed above that man on any day let alone this one because after all chivalry is dead, women demanded it's death but only if it means they get to keep the good bits of equality and chivalry and none of those inconvenient bits like fidelity, respect and loyalty etc, and this is the fact that every man alive is painfully aware of while women are either ignorant of the irony or choose to ignore it because deep down everyone knows that the demand for equality is nothing more than a giant shit test.
    Hows that for an honest explanation.

• Men will more often than not, try to avoid any kind of responsibility. Evem to offer gifts once a year for a woman can seem like a burdain.

That comes from misunderstanding the difference in the perception of males and frmales. And a good bit from not knowing how to take care of one another.

• 7d

I'm sure that both men and women will be opposed to the core to the idea of giving gifts to women once a year, when given the option ro do it every day.

As matter of fact, there's a much bigger result if men gave women small gifts, evem the gift o attention, but consistently, every day. As opposed to giving large gifts once a year or rarer. This produces a beautiful effect on women, that no expensive, but rare gift can.

• Because women are portrayed as more sappy and emotional and the marketplace has a lot to offer to them! Diamonds, chocolates, and flowers. Fancy dinner dates and pretty dresses. Valentine's is just a very successful marketing campaign, after all.

• Girls like Valentine's day because they get or expect the most grand gifts. Guys don't care about it or hate it because they're probably single or know they're not going to get anything, and they're the ones who have to buy the grand gifts. How often do you see a girl giving her manz a giant teddy bear? I don't know about y'all but I'm gon STEP for my manz on valentines day.

• I believe most girls like to be treated and pampered by their man or date.
    Me personally I break that tradition every other year, this year it's my turn to take my man out for Valentine's Day. I have an entire night setup for him to be pampered, who says only the girls have to be the only ones that get pampered?

Remember we're in control of our own lives we don't have to conform to social norms, we have the power to accept it, change it, or alter it.

• I don't need or want a made up holiday that pressures me to show a woman how much I love her. That is an ongoing everyday goal of mine, to make her feel loved. And you know what? I've never had one girlfriend complain about my stance about it. Must be doing something right.

• 1) Guys have to plan the whole thing
    2) Guys have to go above and beyond
    3) If Guys don't go above and beyond her girlfriends shit talk him and tell her to break it off
    4) Broke after Valentines
    5) It's a shallow day

• Because most or all of the responsibility of the day falls on the man to make sure the woman feels valid and recognized

• Generally speaking:

Women: Valentine's Day, perfect occasion for love!
    Men: Valentine's Day, this is going to cost how much money?

• pretty obvious. cause approaching and asking a valentines out is the dirty work that men are expected to do. so for women it's a day to be obsessed over and validated by men and for men it's a day where they gather up all they have to ask their crush out and get rejected.

so i think you can see why men hate this day more than women.

• Probably because its a fake, consumer-driven day geared towards placating women's misguided, over-inflated sense of romance, where how much a guy cares about you is measured in what and how much he buys for you, while a reciprocal gesture is not expected of women.

• Because men are the big spenders on Valentine's day, and all the gifts are for the women. All the "kill yourself", "nobody loves you", and "forever alone" memes are sent to the men. While women get gifts from people they don't know and have several guys already talking to them.

• Honestly though if you really love your guy and he ever pulls I hate Valetine's day or don't want to do it chances are he doesn't love you that much. My dad use to do it all the time before my mom say "don't because don't have money for this". He did it because he love her I realize that even my own experience if a guy is madly in love with someone he never complain he do it anyway.

• Personally I don't really enjoy Saint Valentine's Day because it's linked to a bad memory of mine that happened when I was nine.. so I'm yet to live a saint Valentine's day that will exorcise that bad memory... I think girls like it more because they get to feel like princesses for a day!!

• Because we have to plan the whole fkn day buy presents chocolate and flowers and we dont like it
    We like being spontaneous and in this day we cannot do that which is annoying

• Well cause Valentine's is a corporate holiday. Like why on this one irrelevant day do people need to spend money on gifts and fancy meals?

Like if it was your anniversary it would make sense or b days. You know cause those days are actually special and meaningful.

What the hell is so damn special about Valentine's?

If I remember correctly Valentine's was the celebration of some guy being massacred or something like that.

• Valentines Day is meant to be for Saint Valentine; we're meant to show extra affection for our loved ones to honor the guy that was executed for illegally ministering the marriages of Roman soldiers - romantically said, he died for love.

Ultimately it is a corporate holiday, but so is every holiday. Easter has nothing to do with chocolate eggs, Christmas isn't meant to be about spoiling each other with presents, Halloween isn't meant to consist of equal parts candy & throwing eggs at houses, etc.

• 7d

New Year's eve and New Year's day.

You're really not doing a good job here, lol.

• 7d

Umm what's your point?

I already said they were close to each other.

• Because Valentines day, like pretty much every holiday, is all about the woman, its him buying her a bunch of shit (statistically men spend on average two to four times more on women during holidays (valentines day specifically) then women do on men), in order to get pretty much nothing except sex (which honestly, if he has to bribe his girlfriend for sex, its a pretty messed up relationship to begin with). Its a one sided obligation the man has to the woman in a long list of one sided obligations.

• Because guy shells out more $$$$$$$$, than she does. She gets a diamond and he gets a kiss or two.

• Because we love you all year long.
    Valentine's day is just being pressured by society to spend money.

• Valentine's day has become just something we have to do and are expected to do and companies and have adverts have turned it into a money making thing.

Valentine's Day should be about being with the one you love, gifts, presents all not needed.

Just sitting there with the woman you love gazing into her eyes is enough, nothing else is needed.

• Women are borderline unrealistic when it comes to love, so they eat this type ot shit up all the time. It's not surprising, really.

• I would say maybe because there is a lot of pressure on guys to be romantic and they don’t want to fail at it

• Like a lot of people hear said, valentines day is one sided. It's a product of western feminism that made society only care about womens wants and needs.

• Because men have to buy shit! And guys are low maintenance so they not into that shit they pretty simple and cheap to be honest. Its women that are more expensive. I dont know why that is tho

• I actually hate it because it’s my birthday
    Do you know how frustrating it is to see everyone, both guys and girls, get all kinds of gifts and you’re just there not getting shit

• Like my plans for my birthday/valentines day this year are to go attend a lecture & see the doctor 😂 literally

• I'm sorry, my birthday is right before Christmas so I get what's it's like

• Because women get shit and the men have to spend more money on crap

• Valentines day is like a wedding.. its all about the girl!

• Because on the surface it’s a fake forced romance day. If you dig a little deeper it’s a competition between girls to see who’s boyfriend blows the most cash on them arbitrarily. Then girls get jealous of other girls and drama springs out of it. Girls feel entitled to being lavished for no real reason. Nothing is typically done for guys except maybe sex in exchange for shit. So lets see insincerity, greed, jealously, lasting drama, entitlement complex, cheapened love, prostitution, and selfishness. It’s a pretty dirty thing...

• I haven’t seen him since last Monday and I’m sad 😩 I miss him

• once girl crushed my heart so heart , i stopped looking for anyone , so thats my story , mostly people had been cheated or dumped for shitty stuff so there's your answer mam

• Because that is more of a girly thing and society promotes is more to be a woman thing more than men thing, and maybe guys find it corny and cheesy

• Honestly nearly no one of my girls (just one), me included cared about this shit
    It's overrated and a day to make money

• 7d

I mean just one friend cares about V day and everyone else me included don't

• Because some girls are dumb... why do they care so much? It's just a random day other people decided to make special. It doesn't mean you should care

• I'm not sure, but I relate more to the men in this case.
    xx
    ~ Mrs Manson

• because it's a marketing tool and a reminder of how fucking lonely i truly am.

• Because it's all about her, we don't really get anything out of it. That's why I don't care for it. I don't hate it, but it's just meh.

• Long history of high expectations for me, but no expectations allowed for her.

• Because to celebrate love on a particular when it should be celebrated on any day seems dumb.

• Because most of us ain't got no date. Also if we get you something, then you should get us something.

• because valentines day is for women. they are the ones who get pampered while guys are the ones who have to do the pampering

• For me, I would not wait a particular day to show my love to my SO. And it's all a giant ad to force you to spend your money.

• Also, most of the pressure tends to be on the guy's shoulders : be romantic, find a nice gift, find a nice place for dinner...

• We don't hate it and yes we care about it 😊 you think wrong

• If after my long day at work I came home and my respective gal showered me with gifts and a terrific dinner I would probably be more enthusiastic. Still, either way, the day has historically ended with us exchanging plenty of DNA... then again, (and again historically speaking), that also has happened the day before as well as the day after, too. So, buy me a couple of rifles and/or pistols and dinner and my enthusiasm will skyrocket!

Valentines Day
    Mother's Day
    Christmas Day
    Your Birthday
    All the days in between... it adds up.

• No who said men do not like Valentine's day... we also care lot about it
    To spend time with love ones. But I didn't have anyone, I am single 😣😥

• Because Valentine's Day is promoted as important for women and a day to cater to just them.

• I assume it's because the men are expected to give more. It's like looking forward to Christmas when you're the one buying the presents.

• To me personally it doesn't seem like a realistic kind of day. All of the hearts and candy and other things along those lines make the day and things within it feel artificial to all hell. Unless you're already in a relationship it makes you feel lonely and sad as well, thus making many people feel barren for that kind of attention. If you ask out someone on Valentine's day, then you look desperate as well, as well as cliche and overall a waste of time. And even when you are in a relationship, usually it's the guy who has to make an extra effort to prove to you that they're worth it, making it stressful and anxious for them the entire day.

• Perhaps because it doesn't have that much significance.

That's just my view.

• Because it's literally all about women

Show More
23