How can I hide/cover up my OPEN self harm cuts?

I have been looking everywhere and nobody will tell you how to hide OPEN cuts, its only how to hide scars. Well obviously I don't have much scars because they're all cuts. When I first started I would only scratch myself knowing hiding actually cuts would be difficult, but after a while scratching wasn't enough and it turned into bigger and deeper cuts overtime. My parents, friends or anyone else don't know and I need to hide them. I can't use makeup because most of them still bleed every once in a while. And even wearing bracelets they peek through. Don't tell me self harm is wrong or I need to tell someone or get help because its going to be a waste of your time. I can't stop and even though it sounds sick I don't want to. Cutting is the only way I can express myself and the only pain I can control. A lot of you won't understand and may never but I don't care what you think because unless you do it too there's no point in trying to convince you.

In case you were wondering I only need help hiding the ones on my wrists. Before I started to cut I would wear skinny jeans or leggings and tshirts so I don't need to worry about hiding the other ones without looking odd. And please answer my poll.

• I cut.
  • I don't cut.

Most Helpful Girl

• Relax. I've been doing it for almost 5 years and have somewhere 50 and 60 cuts and scars. Bracelets help, and so do wrist bands. If it weren't summer, sweat shirts or long sleeved t shirts would be good. You can manuver your arm if you are around people who you don't want to see them so the cut parts showing are facing down, and cover it with your other arm. Avoid people but not so much that it is suspicious. A few years ago I made my own bracelet out of 3 pieces of yarn. I braided hem together and got a really long piece. You then tie the ends together and wrap it aroundyour wrist until it cannot make another loop (dont cut off circulation) and you can readjust it from under so that it covers where you meed it to. People will complement it but won't know what they are complementing. I dot recommend cutting but I know how useless it is to say so. So just stay safe.

What Guys Said 6

• You can't be triying to hide them; instead, seek help for why you're doing this. Usually the cutting gets worse and you could be risking your life. Don't fool around here, get help! Family, friends, your MD, the schoo nurse, any medical person you have access to...whoever you feel most comfortable with.

But not strangers in cyberspace!

• I do understand.

You should get help. Its not ethically wrong, but its a bad pattern, and the more you do it the more it becomes a habit, not just a coping mechanism. Your ability to cope in other ways declines and you become more and more reliant on it. It may well be the only way you can express yourself, and it may well be the only pain you can control. That's why you need help.

Because you can't just 'stop' cutting or you would. You need to replace cutting with other ways of managing your feelings. And you're an expert at cutting and going to be a beginner at using those other ways, so that's going to be hard.

If you don't have scars you must have just started, but you're going to be.

• where are they? if theyre on your wrist your kinda screwed... but I think most girls just put some foundation or whatever to cover up scars, for open cuts though... that's harder obviously a band aid is out of the question... you could try using a sweat band or something... I know you don't wanna hear it so its gonna be a short shpeal I think cutting is not a very healthy outlet... but I know a lot of people who have/ do so I'm not gonna judge XP hope your problems get better

• "Only pain you can control?"

What the f***? Explain that to me in a bit more detail please. Try not to sound emo or psychopathic if you could please.

Other then that, I'm really interested with what it's like to be inside your head.

• Cutting is a form of avoidance. It's has very little in actuality to do with control but rather a lack of control.

• Sorry both my mother and long time ex are dead so I'll have to do in lieu of a cutter.

• What I meant by that is you can't control what other people say, do or think of you but you can control your actions. Even though its not the best thing to do its what I do and I'm sorry for sounding "emo" like I said many people won't understand and unless they do or have done it before they never will and I'm okay with that. I don't care what people tell me on here because I know NONE of them know me, my problems or my story so I'm not afraid to ask their opinions and advice.

• I think it would be best to get counseling.

• I've had counseling since I was 8 and just a while ago I stopped because it wasn't helping. Plus I was in a inpatient mental hospital 15+ times so obviously I know the "coping skills" they will teach you and all that other crap but it hasn't helped and it never will.

• I really totally don't understand why people do that O.o Well how about wristbands? You can get quite wide ones (like sport wristbands)

What Girls Said 6

• Try to wear arm sleeves. Put antibiotic ointment on it too, it'll moisten the cut and prevent blood leakage.(I fall in sports lol)

Instead of cutting you should take up boxing or running. A healthier outlet to get the rage out. I never cut but I've had a nasty anger problem. I've only hit one person in my life because of it in middle school and when I saw her cry on the ground I changed at that moment. My anger was horrible and it didn't help my mom was the principal of my school. I only had 2 friends from 3rd till 8th grade. It was one of the causes but I knew being a p*ssy about it wasn't going to help. I took up running. Then it grew into something great. I was happy again and I felt good about myself. Confident even.

Maybe you can be happy again too

• Wear bracelets

But in the mean time cove up with long sleeves or cardigans.

Ive never cut but girls in my class that had scars did that.

• I used to cut and I worn sweaters all da time.Try wristbands.

• I strongly suggest counseling. Check out this website: link It's not very attractive, but there is a lot of good information. You CAN stop. It takes a lot more effort, though. But in the long run, it's a wise choice.

I self harmed for over a decade. Before anyone even called it anything. I didn't even realize it was a thing ... it was just something I did. I still have some issues with it, though not as severe. I agree, that is the only way you know how to vent your inner pain and anger. But the problem is relying on it is like relying on alcohol or drugs. It's nothing special -- just a bad coping mechanism that leaves you damaged and also unable to cope in a healthy way. You become a slave to that crutch to get through things... You need to learn some healthy ways to cope with your emotions. I waited too long and regret the time I wasted hurting and hating myself. The surge of power is an illusion and the calm that follows is just your body's natural painkillers kicking in. There are more positive ways to deal, but they take practice.

My issues ended up spiraling into a nasty anxiety disorder with mega panic attacks. If I'd have learned how to process my feelings and stop my negative, self-hating inner voice, I may have avoided a lot of misery. I didn't get help until the panic attacks started to take over my life. I really urge you to take all of that energy and turn it around into something positive instead of this quick fix.

As for what I did .. I rarely cut where people could see it. I was very active, so I had a lot of convenient excuses for when I did. Make sure you keep them really clean. Use bandages to keep sh*t out of them if you need to. Seriously, though, cutting is a huge waste of time.

• i don't really cut

• wrap it with gauze and wear long sleeves or arm warmers

• I actually would have NEVER thought of arm warmers, Thank You! :)