What does it mean when a guy says he wants to get married, but not settle down?

Does this mean he wants to have an open relationship and is not serious about me? I know it sounds dumb, but I don't fully understand what this phrase means...

13

Most Helpful Guy

• Yeah, it sounds dumb but it's not you that's dumb, it's him! I mean, was he implying that he wants to marry you but keep an open relationship? I mean, I know a lot of European guys who really believe in this, that is, have a woman you marry and have kids with, but keep having women on the side. Because they're men -- they're not made of stone! Actual quote there from a particular guy that I'm thinking of...

Anyway, this guy is being ridiculous.

• is this what it means though? I'm not sure.

• You know, I have no idea what he means exactly because it makes no sense. I mean, how can you want to get married but not settle down? The only thing I can think of is that he means he wants an open relationship, i. e. to be married to someone yet to be able to go screw around.

Most Helpful Girl

• It doesn't make any sense since settling down generally means marriage. If the other answers are right, he might want an open marriage. If that's not for you then let som other lucky girl have him.

• In an online dating website, one of the survey questions a user has to answer is: Are you ready to settle down and get married right now?
      He put down, get married yes, settle down no...
      That's why I'm confused.

I'm not sure if settling down has a different meaning?

• I'd be confused too and I'd skip that guy. Whatever he's thinking it can't be good.

What Guys Said 2

• It could mean that he wants an open relationship. How Young are you two? I would tell him if he wants to be with other girls go ahead but he not keeping you.

• what's the difference in wanting to get married and settling down? I don't get it.

• He wants just sex no responsabilities

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!