The Best Melodic and Nostalgic Riffs in Metal

these following tracks and songs are a collection of mostly heavy metal and rock guitar riffs and solos that i think are very melodic and nostalgic

8. Metallica - Escape

the most melodic part is the opening riff that is a harmonised riff in minor thirds and is based off the key of A minor. It's very catchy and melodic and it has great potential, but the song then takes a different direction in the key of E minor, anyway the intro riff is what i was referring to.

7. Aletheian - Out of the Shadows

The next one is mostly the solo and harmonised riff and chord progression that stands out for me, it's epic and nostalgic and fresh. It starts at 1:20, opening up with a slight solo then harmonised scale run, and ends with some clean vocal singing which is odd for melodic death metal.

6. Divine Heresy - Failed Creation

The best part and most melodic is the ending outro which is staccato palm muted leads with palm muted power chord progression, I like the direction it is heading, it's kind of sad, progressive and end of things kind of vibe, it starts at 3:09 and ends sadly.

5. Inquisition - The Flames of Infinite Blackness Before Creation

it starts off very chaotic and dark, but you are greeted with a nice tremolo picked lead with chord progression, it's very anthemic, epic and melodic, for black metal standards anyway. that melodic tremolo picked riff starts at 1:18

4. Arch Enemy - Burning Angel

This one it isn't the riff, it's the guitar solo that's what makes this on the list. The guitar solo is Micheal Amott's finest effort, it can't even be replicated live quite accurately and precise what was on the recording. it starts off groovy and flashy, then progresses to a nostalgic and melodic solo. it starts at 2:40

3. Death - Without judgement

This one of my favourite Chuck Schuldiner solos, Schuldiner played this on a B.C. Rich Stealth one with DiMarzio XZ2 Pickups, the pickups were active ones and it really accentuates harmonics and overtones, also i believe effects and reverb was used on this recording, because the solo is atmospheric. The solo starts at 2:11, with flashy sqeaulies and pinch harmonics, then it progresses with Octave Chords that make it atmospheric and nostalgic.

2. At The Gates - Cold

This is a little gem of melodic death metal, this one makes the list purely because of the nostalgic clean riff at 1:38, it's what i would imagine embodied depression to sound like, it's nostalgic and mystical, depressive but towards the end of that clean riff it has a sense of happiness or hope, it's then followed by a amazing fancy guitar solo by Andy LaRocque.

1. Decrepit Birth - Ignite the Tesla Coil (Departure of the Sun)

This is our final song, I hope you enjoyed the musical journey and stayed this long into the Mytake

This one is well worth the wait, it has technical and yet melodic guitar solos throughout the whole song, i couldn't really nitpick any part of the song that stands out, it all does, the guitars sound a lot like Death, and it really adds to the nostalgia, also you can clearly hear Baroque Classical influences in the guitar playing, anyway enough babbling on, the part that really sends shivers down my spine and gives me a nostalgic feeling is 5:38, the solos are emotional and nostalgic just listen.

410

Most Helpful Girl

• i was actually surprised to see "Escape" on here! even though its on an iconic album, that seems to be one of the songs on there that doesn't stand out to as many headbangers as the rest that's on Ride The Lightning.

Cool take man XD

Most Helpful Guys

• I could listen to metal riffs all day - I always had a soft spot for Enter Sandman by Metallica, I think it reminded me of Metal in my day in the late 1970s and 1980s possibly a bit of nostalgia.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 3

• Good take

• Heck yes!!! Great take dude! So metal🤘

• Wow! Heavy! Too heavy for me.

What Guys Said 8

• What about cemetery gates by painter or one by metallica
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVMvART9kb8https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM8bTdBs-cw

• \m/ Hell. Yes. \m/

I'll also add Amon Amarth - Guardians of Asgaard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLXyvVCS6NU

• Escape is usually named as one of the weaker tracks on the Ride The Lighting album but I have always thought of it as one of the better tracks.

Great post. All of these songs are very good.

• That was actually written to be a radio hit, that's why the band dislikes the song. Although it was highly unlikely to get a thrash song on the radio in 1984 -- much less than 1992, thrash's peak year (which didn't happen either). Good song, nonetheless.

• I don't know these Songs. They are not nostalgic to me.

• The Call of Ktulu?

• Unforgiven by Metallica

• Riffs are the reason i got into metal.

• MANNY of the Iron Main riffs.