Plus-Size Model Ashley Graham Makes History in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue

Plus-Size Model Ashley Graham Makes in History in Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue

Photo Source: usmagazine.com

Ashley Graham is joining an elite group of supermodels like Heidi Klum and Tyra Banks to name a few, as she becomes the FIRST plus-size model to be featured in the iconic Sports Illustrated - Swimsuit Issue.

The 27 year old Nebraska native will turn heads in her bikini-clad Swimsuits for All ad campaign called #CurvesinBikinis. The 2015 Sports Illustrated - Swimsuit Issue will hit stands February 9th.

This isn't the first time Graham has graced the pages of a major publication, she has also appeared in Vogue, Elle, and Harper's Bazaar and on the cover of Elle Quebec.

Watch Ashley Graham sport a sexy, black string bikini as she makes waves in the Swimsuits for All #CurvesinBikinis commercial below!

With all of the national and international attention surrounding the #CurvesinBikinis campaign, hopefully, both society and the media can move towards further embracing the beauty of natural bodies and curves! Ashley Graham is a model who loves her curves and isn't afraid to show them. She wants to educate women that you can be HEALTHY at any size! What do you think? Do you agree? Is beauty beyond size?

1731

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I agree that beauty and health are beyond size. But I have a few issues with them using her as a "plus size" example.

-She may be bigger than most models, but her body is STILL unattainable for most women. Her waist and hip ratio is NOT AVERAGE. She may be an average size (size 12 or whatever) but her body IS NOT AVERAGE. She is STILL an hourglass. Hourglass is the rarest body type for females (naturally). Average size on a not so average body is still doing the exact same shit tumblr feminists bitch about. Her body is still unattainable (naturally).
    -Most plus size women don't look like that. They're body fat is not spread out like hers. In fact, the common body type for plus size women is apple shape, where there is no defined waist, big belly, and large breasts. Small hips, small butt.
    -#CurvesWereAlwaysIn. I don't know why the "fat acceptance" campaign tries to make it seem like skinny women can't be curvy. Yes they can. Curves are always in whether on slim or bigger women.
    -As I said, her body is still very rare. Her size may be common (size 12), her shape is not (hourglass). If they showed an "apple shape" plus size woman, this would be more monumental if you ask me. Cuz big or small, hourglass is always idealized. And thank you "body acceptance" campaign for once again, doing the exact same thing the media does and idealizing the (most unattainable) hourglass figure *that's sarcasm -_-
    -To put a plus size woman in a magazine where buff guys are still idealized, kinda cheapens the message too. The "Fat Acceptance" campaign seems to focus a lot more on female body issues than males. I get it, guys aren't as objectified nor scrutinized in the media as women, so I'll give that point somewhat of a pass for now.
    -She is plus sized? She doesn't look too big like what you'd think of when you hear "plus size". As I said, her body weight is distributed well. Most plus size women don't look like that.
    When are they gonna show an other body than hourglass?

• I like the idea behind this. Cuz I want other sizes to be represented in the media. BUT also other SHAPES! Not just hourglass! ALSO to include more male diversity. To put "plus size" (I wouldn't consider her the typical plus size though) women where there's nothing but buff, muscular men just cheapens the message if you ask me.
      We need more body size AND shape diversity for women AND MEN.

• 1ibiz must be one of those homeopathic doctors.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 30

• I think people can't be healthy at any size, i think people can be healthy at their own natural size

Is beauty beyond size? well in the eyes of society beauty is always changing, In ancient Greece, and renaissance Italy woman, sometimes thicker/fatter than this lady were considered beautiful , i think that societies view of beauty is changing to encompass bigger girls
    thats why everyone is going crazy over big butts, big butts usually mean fatter women, so if the current trend keeps going, everyone will begin to appreciate fatter women as beautiful
    i am glad this is happening! more skinny girls for me

• Although it may be normal, does not mean it is healthy! What is the dangerous of normal?
    Normal- conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected. the usual, average, or typical state or condition.
    Over a century ago, there was no man made processed foods. No refined sugars! The normal was skinny, because there was no artificial chemicals disguised as food like products to make you pack on body fat like that! This women has toxic fat! That is what exactly what it is! It toxic! Toxins gets stored in the fats, but if you eat healthy then your body does a good job of eliminating these toxins, but if you do not eat healthy, then the toxins just accumulate and reserves in the body fat! Don't sit there and tell me you can be healthy at any size! I study gene expression and gene susceptibility, and it is hard to find a doctor like me! I am telling you, do not let the media trick you! The media is evil, the whole system is designed to profit off of you! If you do not care what you consume and interact with, then you have no basis to complain in how sick and miserable you will be! Most of the times you will feel symptoms, and you would most likely sit there and think that they are normal and everybody goes through them! That is false! You get symptoms because you are putting things in your body that your body does not recognize as food!

• I don't think women realize...

They might be heavily influenced by the media, etc. I'm not a woman, so I can't say how much with certainty.

But putting chubby/fat/obese women on advertisements/magazines, will not make men more attracted to them. Women need to realize that. Skip meals, get in shape, and actually be fit and attractive. Stop trying to fool yourself into thinking men will love fat chicks if they just get more media time.

Also, women can't be "healthy at any size" because being overweight/obese is bad for your health. Ask the medical community. When human beings are overweight/obese, there are bad medical consequences.

For example, it drastically raises your risk of type 2 diabetes, stroke, high blood pressure, cancer, gallstones, reproductive problems...

www.nhlbi.nih.gov/.../risks

• I work in the medical field and the problem here is this beautiful lady is not plus sized. She is average. I would rather see my patients her sized than walking in weighing 100lbs. Any doctor will tell you that's its good to have a little extra weight on you, just in case you get sick. The first thing goes is your appetite so therefore you lose weight. Their are many normal sized people with diabetens not just obese people. Walk through a hospital and you will see all different sized patients not just obese ones.

• lol it's true. I don't see anything wrong with her. I don't like it when girls have rock hard abs or 6 packs. It doesn't seem feminine to me. She looks feminine and has curves in all the right spots.

• She's totally hot. Very beautiful woman.

• THAT'S plus sized?

• I think its a good idea to do this in order to sell their magazines. I still prefer thinner women, personally.

• Yea she's bigger in sizes but her ratios of waist to hip is ideal. Basically what I mean if you shrink her down or make her bigger she's always going to be sexy. Her body is balanced. When they say plus size. They mean bigger than average BUT most importantly she's a model, so her body will be balanced. They won't model a women the same weight but skinny legs and fat tummy

She's clearly sexy

• I agree. Her body is still hourglass, which is the rarest body type for a woman to have, thin or "plus size" (naturally).
      She carries her weight really well, the average plus size woman looks nothing like that. They're usually ruler or "apple" shape where they have no defined waist, large stomach, big boobs, no hips, small butt.

This plus size chick has more in common with other models or bodies idealized in the media than actual plus size women.
      She is not a good representation of the average plus size woman. Not by a long shot.

• @BuchitaBuchys

Yes exactly. She's clearly has the body shape of a model. Just plus size model since she's heavy but she doesn't look that fat because how her weight is placed on her body.

If you look at this picture, all the girls weight the same but they all don't look the same.
      41.media.tumblr.com/.../...2ekeAN1rjpm4uo1_500.png

P. s. Hope you had a good day today in Chicago miss Latina So lucky

Do you go downtown often? Or do you 'chill around your hood' lol

• Exactly. I am technically considered overweight for my height. Do I represent the average overweight woman? No. I look fucking thin, people are always shocked to hear I weigh more than 130lbs.
      Same with this woman. She may have the weight of a plus size woman, but she does not have the shape. Not at all. She is not a good or accurate representation of the average plus size woman. Just like I'm not a good nor accurate representation of an overweight woman (my BMI is 27).
      Just as that pic shows, not everyone carries their excess weight the same.

And hourglass. As if there's a shortage of hourglass in the media -__-
      She has more in common with the average model than the average plus size woman.

It was on ok day lol
      No, I don't go to downtown often :P

• Based on her thighs, this is over her natural weight.

But calling her "fat" is excessive... Overweight, maybe.

There's nothing objectively wrong with her, though, in my opinion. But she looks just like every other model... tall, hourglass, even their faces are always the same. This is not what I am looking for, but I'm glad it's not just the ultra-skinny that get to be on the first page.

• She is fine and as the brothas would say "thick", all good though. I think she is beautiful and in proportion with her height. If you're born with big bone structure it's not the same as being fat. That is the statistical flaw with the BMI index scale unfortunately. It is only aplicable to 80% of the world. The other 20% that are larger bone structure are falsely categorized as "obese".

• I'm confused how she's considered a plus size model. Looks pretty average to me.

Is anorexic considered the norm for what female models should be?

• in my opinion, she's obviously attractive. Still, she's hardly "all". Like other here have said (I think buchitabuchys said it best), she is still hardly representative of the 'average woman'.

The truth is that they used a very attractive woman with a unique body to get publicity from people who would normally criticise their work. Its clever and is better than having an army of women with very similar bodies but it's hardly much of a difference imho.

• I ADORE curves and it is definitely more healthy then binging and purging that the skinny waifes do.

As far as I am concerned the bigger the better. I can't get enough of curves.

• This is plus size lol?

• It's a step in the right direction. I mean I love when other body types can be celebrated too, but at the same time, she's not really "plus-sized", or at least not how I imagine plus-sized. She has big legs, hips, and boobs, but she's like an hourglass shape. Extremely sexy, but I don't think that's a body that anyone would be ashamed to have. But still, a nice step. It's good for more and more women of different shapes and sizes to be models.

• I don't see this as "making history". But good for her.

• But isn't a lot models back in the 50's - 60's curvy women? Or maybe those magazines isn't sports illustrated.

• She is definitely pretty, so I can see why they chosen her.
    It shows that not just super skinny girls can be model's. Beauty is not just on the outside.

• What has this to do with beauty on the inside? I can't really see her personality..

• I don't have a problem with this but all I'm gonna say is if the roles were reversed and it was a chubby man everyone would be saying he is "eww" and "fat and gross" and "lol if he thinks those hot girls would throw themselves at him."

• its true. all these girls are so honest not holding anything back but when its a half decent looking girl they rater her above average...

• Wouldn't you say the same about her if all her extra fat went straight to the stomach like a man and she had small thighs, small, small tits, huge stomach instead of what she looks in the pic?

• No I wouldn't say those things. I wouldn't be attracted to her but I would never say those things. That is just mean.

• Hopefully this will change the American image of beauty even if it by a little.

• She looks to me! I like! 8-)

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 16

• Probably going to get downvoted for this, but here it goes anyway. I don't know why people keep saying, "don't know why this is plus size." She's obviously plus size. Yes, she's beautiful, but yes, she's fat. The only reason her body looks good right now is because she's young. Sorry, but a size 14 is actually larger than the average size of American women, and that seems really attainable to me.

• She's more like in the thin line between hourglass and chubby. Like if she gains more weight, full on chubby to basic fat. But if she loses weight, she could reach hourglass.

• It isn't her size that's not attainable. It's her shape. Hourglass is the rarest body shape. A lot of women also mistake themselves as hourglass when they're not. Hourglass is more about hip to waist ratio. Just having big boobs and big ass is not hourglass, you still need a defined waist.
      The average plus size woman is apple shape. Big boobs, large stomach, no defined waist, small hips, small butt (in proportion to the rest of her body). The average slim woman is a banana/ruler shape.

She carries her weight really well cuz most of it looks to go to her hips and chest, minimal to her stomach, arms, etc.

Basically, she has a lot more in common with the average model or body idealized in the media (hourglass) than the average plus size woman.
      Her size is attainable, but her body shape is not.

I do like that they're promoting other sizes, but other shapes should be as well.

• Look at these women standing in a row, they have the same height but different shapes.
    https://oi60.tinypic.com/2z9fixl.jpg

The first one from left is probably very slightly taller. as you can see in the whole she has a bigger fuller figure, fuller thighs, curves.
    The second one from left has a slightly different shape, she has less stomach and curves.
    The third and forth one are typical healthy thin bodies.
    and the fifth is in between the first and the second one.

Now someone with fuller shape is someone who's taller and has a bigger bone structure, wider shoulders and hips. But she is not overweight.
    the first figure you see here is the example of a bigger fuller figure. the fourth is the example of a thin figure.

Both of them are attractive while they might be different. Also both of them are absolutely healthy in their own shape and do not have any extra amount of fat in their bodies.
    This is the difference between the different healthy attractive shapes.

And there are other shapes that are more curvy or thinner. it was just an example.
    _
    Now this woman in the picture, at least inside that picture has absolutely visible amount of fat stored in her thighs, legs and hands (different bodies store fat in different parts of the body) though maybe not that much to be considered out of shape and that is why some men may still find her attractive.

But she is still overweight and not healthy (seeing the picture). anything that makes you distant from an ideal low and balanced fat shape is unhealthy.

And not being in shape will change others sexual view on one whether one likes it or not.

I would like to see her and a thinner woman in a running match to see whom will be more resistant and whom will have breathing problems sooner.

...
    Idealizing overweight people as low as their excess fat wants to be (it's still excess) is promoting an unhealthy image inside the society.

Still, this plus sized model is okay compared to models like tess Munster.
    tessmunster.com/.../companies_098.jpeg

• Something wrong with that girl Tess Munster. Any girl who is happy being sick like that has problems, and she encourages other women that it is okay! If you don't mind being sick with many symptoms, then yeah maybe it would be okay, but at that point; you have no reason to complain! You asked for it!

• Ironically, many 'plus-size' models actually have a normal weight and a curvy body. For me, this model's body looks ideal.

• I don't think guys liking curves is anything new though?
    & Thin chicks can have curves too, just like some bigger chicks don't.
    I wish it wasn't just "curves" they were promoting and embracing the beauty of natural bodies without curves too.
    And where are the "average" men at?
    Why are they all cut and super fit?

• I think this is great--if underweight girls can model there should be no issues with overweight girls modeling. However, yes people, that is plus size. She is overweight, no matter how you cut it.

• I won't care until Sports Illustrated starts embracing sporty women who are fit. They are always the last magazine to embrace anything so I really don't give a damn but kudos to her even though its the swimsuit edition and Hannah Davis stick figure ass is still on the cover.

• That's not even "plus size". She is a healthy girl with curves. No one should be ashamed of that or have to fight to prove that. Too many girls shove their fingers down their throats to be sticks. Being healthy is all that matters. That's different from being skinny.

• Toxins gets stored in the fat! There is nothing healthy about toxic fat. I am trained to determine just that! I can look at a person and tell if they are healthy and where they should be or not!

• @1ibiz so if there is less fat, less toxins can be stored or do toxins get stored in inner organs instead or just more concentrated in less fat? You are trained to determine their health with a single look? What kind of training is that? Even doctors need to do blood tests.

• @bubble_tea, that's because there are not much doctors that are as good as me! Its simple, you are what ever your body consists of, and what ever your body consists of comes from other sources. The question is how natural are those sources you're interacting with. I can determine just that y the shape of your body, fat percentage, hair health, skin complexion, thyroid size or in case of a goiter, nails, tongue, etc.. You can tell a lot about a person including how healthy they are just by the way they look!

• She looks amazing!

• She is not that plus. She is average female. That is what people don't understand and drives so many young girls into anorexia

• Just because it's average, doesn't mean it's healthy. The average person in the US is overweight and unhealthy and that's not something we should be glorifying.

That being said, you can be a little bigger and still be healthy, but that's not typical.

• @JumpThenFall I agree and I disagree because you can be overweight and healthy, just like you can be skinny and unhealthy

• I don't think you can be healthy at "any" size. She's not that big in my opinion

• Sad that Sports Illustrated fell under the crushing weight of the "Big is Beautiful" bullshit. Obesity is NOT beautiful... it is UNHEALTHY.
    And don't pretend that you can be overweight and healthy... you are overweight, therefore you are over the healthy weight for your height, Period.

Let's stop trying to force people to believe otherwise because we don't want fat girls to feel bad. Feeling bad about being unhealthy is a clue that you should get healthy.

• well if that's "obese" then something is wrong here though

• Although she may not be obese, her weight is still off! As anon girl mentioned, it is not healthy and if she continues with what she is doing then the toxins will just accumulate and be stored in her body fat!

• She in particular may not be Obese, but she is over the healthy weight for her height.

• Why didn't they throw a dude with a little chub on him in the video? Seems fair. Those linebacker looking dudes get a lot of play, for example.

• I actually think she looks quite gorgeous. It's sad that people consider this "plus-sized". She's probably much healthier than those models who starve themselves in order to stay in the business.

• That's plus sized? Wow, I thought that was average America sized. Plus size is like 18 and up. She looks like an 12

• Am pretty sure she is in fact a size 16... But please don't quote me on that. :)

• She still look average to me. Magazines be giving off the wrong impression, that's why we are messed up now. You have to be crazy to think that model is plus sized, when she's not, she's just an beautiful average Americ an sized woman. When they put a real plus sized person up there then that's when history will be made in a lot of people's eyes

• That's gross