What does it mean when a guy rubs your back?

Me and this guy have a complicated relationship. Sometimes we are friends and sometimes we ignore each other. Its been like this for a year now. We get along and we don't get along. But we have never been really close friends. People always say there is this tension between us when ever we are around each other. So anyways, we haven't been talking to each other for a while now even though we see ach other almost every day, we just ignore each other. We are not fighting or anything like that, no bad vibes at all. So the other day we were at a theatre and I was sitting with my friend and he came to sit with us but next to my friend not me and we were all laughing the entire time and at the end of the night as we were leaving, he was walking behind me and he rubbed my upper back. I know its not a big deal but still I want to know why a guy who hardly talks to you would do this.

32

Most Helpful Guy

• rubbing someone's back = a friendly gesture

• Yeah I figured that part out. But why is he making friendly gestures though, does it mean he wants to try be friends again? We have tried to be friends but it just doesn't work. We have weird tension that we don't know how to deal with.

Most Helpful Girl

• Maybe he just felt like doing this out of the blue :) sounds like he felt nice that day lol.. But why are you in a relationship like that if you dont mind my asking? Whats the point of it

• We are not in a relationship, we are not even friends really but we just in each other's space of existence a lot so we can't avoid each other. We tried to be friends but it is always complicated, we end up mad at each other so we just gave up on trying to be anything so now we are just two people with tension. lol. I don't know why we are like this really.