Was Aladdin wrong in lying to princess jasmine about being a prince?

Was Aladdin wrong in lying to princess jasmine about being a prince?

I mean it was the only way to get the woman he loves to pay attention to him being impoverished and all. :P

1|2

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes but no. he's my 2nd fave disney prince after Eric in Little Mermaid. I totally give him a pass. He did it for love. Plus, remember when Jasmine pretended to be a beggar to fit in. So see, they both did it

0|1
    0|0

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 18

• I mean, yes and no. Yes bc he thought she was stupid and recognize that guy from 2 days ago. No bc he didn't really know her that well. But yes again bc if he had actually listened, she seemed quite disillusioned with royalty anyway.

0|1
    0|0
    • oh well happily ever after anyways eh? lol

• I would be a little confused if a guy thought I was that stupid XD but also a little charmed he cared so much about my perception of him

• From what I remember Jasmine was into him when he was just a street rat at the beginning of the movie.
    Jasmine was running away from home and an arranged marriage when they met.

1|2
    0|0
  • But... she liked him despite being poor when they met in the market before the lies. I doubt Jasmine wouldn’t sneak out again so even without the prince lie mumbo jumbo they probably would have met again and (as with any Disney movie) things would have progressed from there.

0|1
    0|0
  • I don't even remember the story line. But if he did lied about it then yeah it was wrong and he should apologize.

1|1
    0|0
  • Of course, but what do you expect? He's a street rat. 😛

1|2
    1|0
  • yes he shouldn't have lied even if it got him to her at the end.

0|1
    0|0
    • well i guess they will never get together again then :P

• Show All
    • its the test of love son. u dont give up on someone you want because someone else said you can't date them

• sounds a little naive to me but it's a cartoon so sure ill give it to you

• No, they eventually fell in love. When she wasn't so open-minded, she may not have paid him any mind at all.

0|1
    0|0
  • omg... i think it was wrong, because he wasn't being real about who he is... you can't start the relationship off with a lie

0|1
    0|0
    • yeah but then there was no way they would ever meet again since they live in different socioeconomic strata :P

• ok not all people are shallow lol... besides it was meant to be regardless of the circumstances... we're thinking too much about a cartoon lol

• I don't think it was wrong necessarily, but he wasn't to know that acting in a certain way would actually hinder his ability to get close to Jasmine.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yep, he lied to her. But what do you expect from a street rat

0|2
    0|0
  • Maybe. Lies are not the best way to start a relationship.

0|1
    0|0
  • I actually never thought of this until now XD i still think is a cute love story. He lied but they were happy so I don't know...

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, he's a lying scum.

0|1
    0|0
  • Lying

0|1
    0|0
  • Yeah. He deceived her.

0|1
    0|0
    • yeah but then there was no other way they would ever meet again since they live in different socioeconomic strata

• If He Didn’t Lie To Her, She Would Have Never Given Him A Chance...

• Justified lie, but still a lie & lying is wrong.

0|1
    0|0
  • guys always story women

0|1
    0|0
  • it's cute

0|1
    0|0

What Guys Said 23

• He didn't lied... Technically... He was a prince!!! What makes a prince? money, status and heritage. He had money, he had status and he had a heritage, because his father was a king (Well... the King of the thieves, but a King nevertheless... ;) ) The fact that those things came by chance from a Genie in a Lamp, doesn't mean that he wasn't a legit prince. :P

0|1
    0|0
  • He shouldn't have married that cunt princess in any case. A worker revolution is what they needed and her head on the block.

0|3
    0|0
  • i think if he was just scared.. if he ever told who he was... he could have got rejected.. not to forget he had to impress her dad.. so.. he lied.. but does not work in real. life.. you can't lie yourself in a relationship...

0|1
    0|0
  • He didn't lie, if I recall correctly he wished to be a prince so genie made him a prince it just never showed his kingdom

0|1
    0|0
    • Further more from later movies it also turns out he was the prince of thieves o_O

• Show All
    • But that's what princes do. Obviously the prince wouldn't be in charge of the kingdom so not necessarily super important that he's there all the time. If you recall there were other suitors who came to visit from their own respective lands. And it's fully possible that genie created the kingdom of thieves which he was later discovered to be prince of.

• Yes and usually when royalties marry its an alliance between 2 kingdoms, open up some trade, exchange resources. You don't just completely forget about your old kingdom.
      And he had no siblings, so someone has to be king.

😮 you're just on fire today, wow I never considered that could be Genie's handiwork. Then again also don't remember much about that movie.

• how could something that gets you some private time with a girl be wrong?

0|1
    0|0
  • He did not lie. His first wish was to be a prince. She lacks observational skills to notice that he has a very distinct resemblance to a street urchin that she met two days before, though,

0|0
    0|0
  • Well you have to be something to get a woman's attention, something she respects

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. We always have to be who we are. No matter what happens. Lady will love you for who you are than to lie to her.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, I think that is what the movies is about. "Just be yourself" Genie

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes, it was wrong. Now Understandable? Yes, it was but still wrong nonetheless

0|1
    0|0
  • Dude. He had a genius. He could own the world. I think he was stupid actually.

0|1
    0|0
    • He could've asked for a better world for him to be only with her? Girls? Wouldn't that be amazingly romantic? Guy has one wish. The best world to live perfectly with you.

• Nope. If he told her he was a street rat, he would never got any play.. Big Al got game!

0|1
    0|0
  • No he had to see if see cared about him or the money

0|2
    0|0
  • i think she's just dumb for believing it. not his fault if she's gullible

0|1
    1|0
  • Yes because according to Disney movies all girls need wealthy status men

0|1
    1|1
    • That's not always true :