What does it usually mean when a girl paints her finger nails black?

It has to mean something if girls feel the need to do it, especially black of all colors. I've seen a fair amount of young women do it in high school and college, and no they're not goth or anything crazy like that lol. What does it say about them and who they hang out with do you think, or do you think that has any effect at all?
So it doesn't secretly mean she's a smoker or anything like that? Any of you girls that do it, do you smoke by chance?

173

Most Helpful Girl

• I've painted my nails black before for several reasons:

1. part of a fancy dress costume

2. it matched my outfit

3. I was at my friend's place and we decided to paint our nails

4. I felt like it

There is no one size fits all. I'm pretty sure there will be some girls out there who paint their nails black to try and convey their emotional state, to feel like they're rebelling, to impress a boy/girl/group of people, or to convey a certain image of themselves.

But then again, maybe it's a mark of a super secret girl society that nobody talks about...