Beach: Walking around in bra and panties?

When people critisize girls for wearing outfits that look slutty, trashy, too reveling, innappropriate, it's normally understood it's not ok to reveal your body to garner attention and activate male libido for no reason... But then you go to the beach and everyone is one strong wave away from full on nudity.

I'm very shy and quite conservative in my dress, but this is the first summer I'll go with my college friends on the beach. While I use to be ok with underssing in front of complete, almost-naked, strangers, this whole ordeal lookst a lot different. These are my male college classmates in question (guys I see every day in on campus) and I don't know if my extreme nervousness over showing my body in front of them is justified... =/

I own only one bikini and I asked my female classmates if they'd like to wear a one piece with a little skirt with me, so I don't look like the odd girl out. They looked at me as if I'm crazy, called me a prude and told me not to show up dressed like a grandma, or they'll splash the shit out of me. (half-jokingly of course)

Should I push to have my way and show dressed as "grandma" anyway? Or should I just suck it up, go in a bikini and get used it?

Most Helpful Girl

• If you are really that concerned and looking for a happy medium where they won't make fun of you, you could wear a monokini and shorts. Or a tankini. Or a one piece with a sarong. There are lots of options of things to wear while still not looking like "grandma". The friend that you'd asked probably enjoys being out in her bikini so she doesn't understand your conservative moral on it.

What Guys Said 4

• There are a lot of two piece swim suits that are not so revealing as what is normally considered a bikini. Look at those as a possible alternative. Many are cute and attractive and do not look prudish. And you can always combine that with a cover up.

• If you are not comfortable in something then don't wear it. Try an alternative. There are one-piece bikinis that look nice if you have the correct body. Just don't wear a skirt with it.

• Wear what you want, but definitely realize bikinis are the mainstream and whatever your beliefs are, it's still going to be the mainstream.

by the way Lol @ "garner attention and activate male libido for no reason"
    haha, trust me. our libido gets activated for no reason ALL THE TIME lmao

• There's another option. Get a one piece bathing suit. Those can look just as sexy as a bikini

What Girls Said 7

• You should just do whatever you want!

• If you're not comfortable, wear the bikini with a cute cover up. You don't have to do anything you're not comfortable with.

• Don't wear anything you're not comfortable with, but to me it's fine to wear a bikini on the beach just because it's expected and everybody is wearing that. Obviously I wouldn't wear a bikini to a job interview. What you wear depends on the setting.

• You don't have to do anything under pressure. However if you are not too comfortable in a bikini, use a smart cover up

• A smart cover up? :O

• That's a great idea. Thank you. :')

• You are welcome

• Wearing a one-piece does not make you a prude or dress like a grandma. You do whatever you feel comfortable in and I'm sure you're going to look great!

• suck it up you will look great just own it

• Do whatever makes you feel comfortable. However, there is no issue with wearing a two-piece on the beach. You're putting unnecessary restraints on yourself.

• Thing is, I'm not putting them on myself on purpose because of some belief, it's a natural reaction (shyness) I don't know if I should try to overcome, or should just accept about myself.. =/

• My body is great looking. I'm fit and thin.
      This is not about being self conscious, but being uncomfortable when guys hungrily look at me. I feel like a piece of meat and just want to run away.
      When they're strangers I can ignore them as background noise. But these are my classmates.

• Ignore them. So they look at you hungrily... So what? :p
      Anyway, if the prospect of them looking at you in a thirsty way annoys you that much, wear a one-piece.