Is it possible to look ugly in pics, but be pretty in real life?

Whenever I take pictures of myself they never look like me. I've tried all different kinds of poses, lighting, and angles and while some pics look better than others, I still look like crap in them and different than how I look in real life. I've posted them on Y!A before and people told me I'm ugly, but my friends tell me I'm pretty (I don't know if they're just trying to be nice though) and I've been hit on before by hot guys. Is it possible to look worse in photographs than they way you look in real life?

Most Helpful Girl

• Some people just aren't photogenic. I can't take a picture that looks decent at all, but I get compliments in RL. Then I have friends that look gorgeous in photos. Some of us just don't photograph well, especially when we don't feel comfortable in front of the camera.

What Guys Said 4

• A good professional photographer can make anyone look good. But given those now a days most people use their cell phone or digital cameras to take photos, the technology (and skill of the photographer) can make people look less attractive.

I have a male friend who modeled some as a teenager, and though he's a good looking guy, he wouldn't necessarily 'stop traffic' if you saw him on the street. A lot of it is based on your facial proportions. His eyes mouth and nose are in proportion to each other, so when the photographer snaps a pic.. he always looks great. My eyes and nose are in proportion, but my mouth is rather narrow and small, so my photos never come out looking good.

The other thing is to remember that most young people are only concerned about how attractive someone is because they they want their friends to say "wow! Look at her/him with that hot guy/girl". We may make fun of unattractive couples, but the fact is.. they found each other and (we hope) they are happy together.

• Of course. Everyone can have horrible pictures, but can still be attractive in real life. Some people are just really bad at taking photos. Hilarious but true.

• i think it's true. I always think I'm pretty fugly in pictures but I think I look decent when it comes to in person

• Defiantly lol. I'm a pretty handsome guy but sometimes when I take pictures I'm like wtf?! And wonder how they can come out looking so ugly! But then I look at myself in the mirror and feel better, but...

What Girls Said 7

• Don't worry, some people are just not very photogenic, me included. I know I'm not ugly in real life, but in pictures it could be something totally different. lol ;)

• I've seen it all the time. Ever tried to show pics of a crush and say "I swear he's cute in real life", happens all the time

• Yeah you might just not be photogenic.

• yuck, pictures. =/ some people's features don't transfer very well to a 2-D image. like mine. lol

• trust me, its the pictures. It happens to me all the time! I've been told by a tonn of guys that I'm one of the prittyest girls in my grade.but in pictures I'm hideous!

• def! happens all the time

• That happens to me too. Some pictures do me no justice!