Do men normally use emoticons in texts?

I'll make this short... I sent my ex a text Friday night asking him to set off some fireworks at the annual party (which was yesterday) in honor of the many years we had been together. He responded... ok, I will. ;)
I'm reading into the emoticon... I'm just grasping at anything because I still love this man with all of my heart. He could have ignored my text or just responded ok... ugh!!! Also, if he's dating someone, why would he respond at all? Any thoughts are appreciated. Btw... breakups SUCK!!! :(

So... this morning my ex texted me and asked if I watched the fireworks? Is he messing with me? Wtf is he doing?

615

Most Helpful Guy

• Not all men, but yes we do.

• Do you you still text your ex and use ;)?

• cont'

she just got married last week. So we have a long history of flirt and playfulness. So for us to send faces back and forth... we wouldn't think anything of it. It's not like we do it every time we had a text session. Most of our emoticons would be sent as either flirt or teasing.

• As for all of my other EXs, they don't really even mean anything to me anymore. If I talked to any of them... which I don't, I probably would only send text faces at fitting (right)/suiting times. Regardless, only one of may take it some sort of way, but the rest wouldn't think anything of it.

What Guys Said 14

• I would never do it with another guy... but if i dont feel like my words are expressive enough i will... and i rarely ever use ones that aren't happy... unlike females... you never catch me using the pouty ones... I tend to I tend to communicate well with females and am sensitive to how they feel... because of this i am quite inclined to using emoticons...

• He didn't use them when I lived with him. I find it weird that he used ;) since we're broken up. Idk... thanks for responding.

• How could using a ;) going to be taken as funny?

• Maybe he was just in a really giddy mood... LOL !!!

• Yea I use emoticons with people I'm familiar and comfortable with all the time, lol.

• He didn't use them when we lived together. Idk... I just think the ;) was not necessary.

• Well it could mean a lot of things, it's a pretty broad gesture, so I don't think you're gonna be able to tell anything from it.

• I agree... was just trying to "pick other men's brain's".

• I use them, yes

• Do you use ;) with your ex? I'm just curious.

• I know you're not in his head... :( just missing my best friend.

• I guessed it ;-)

• Yes, and mine are super cute. I even use pink hearts cause the galaxy s5 doesn't have any normal ones dammit.

• Haha... do you text your ex with those super cute pink hearts?

• No, my ex isn't worth my time. My GF has a monopoly on my pink hearts.

• Good... I'm glad to hear that.

• Emoticons are very girly to me, I don't know why. I rarely use them. I pretty much only use them with one person but that's cause she loves it when I do.

• Yas i do all da time. U can see ma proof all throughout GaG :3

• When I am trying to be flirty, I will definitely send a winking emoticon. I tend to send a good amount og smiley emoticons as well. I would say that I use them pretty often.

• So... would you be flirty with an ex? Especially if you're dating someone? I'm just curious. As I said, he could easily have responded without the ;), right?

• That's true. The ";)" was definitely not necessary. I consider myself to be faithful, I would not flirt with an ex; there's a reason why I left her right?

• I do :) when I feel happy.

• πŸ’’πŸ’’πŸ’’πŸ’’πŸ’’πŸ’’

• I tend to use emoticons and so do many other guys.

• Do you text your ex and use them?

• I do use them with my exes but i dont put the heart or the winky face no more.

• Obviously you are not done... When couples break up, they stop talking

• I really wish I believed that to be true. He wants to be friends. I told him that is not possible, as we have too much history. I only texted that to him so I'd be on his mind at the party... (Plus I was a bit tipsy). Thanks for your response.

• I reread your initial message... obviously you are not done"... is it that or he's playing games? Curious.

• If he is single, most likely he could be talking to lots of girls.. Yup, he is playing.. Just being patience to see if you give in… and if you keep answering and talking, your playing his game

• No, :) We never do, I mena, isn't it silly? :D And besides, they look stupid, don't they? :/

• Men invented emoticons. That's like asking if men use cars or electricity.

• 19-Sep-82 11:44 Scott E. Fahlman :-)
      From: Scott E. Fahlman

I propose that the following character sequence for joke markers:

:-)

Read it sideways. Actually, it is probably more economical to mark
      things that are NOT jokes, given current trends. For this, use

:-(

• Ok... so do most men text their ex and use ;)?

• Well I don't contact my ex girlfriends at all. I've never gone back to anyone that I broke up with. That's a solid principle for me. If I were to use a wink in a text it fit the context of the conversation. If he just sent you a wink out of thin air, then I'd guess he misses you or he misses having sex with you and wants to start conversation up with you again.

What Girls Said 6

• He was just being a bit flirty with you. Doesn't necessarily mean anything. If you feel this way, why don't you try to talk to him about it?

• I can't talk to him about it. He broke my <3 already.. I can't put. myself out there to be hurt again. It doesn't make sense to flirt with your ex, ESPECIALLY I'd you're dating someone, right?

• Here , yes, guys use emoticons. :)

• No guys usually don't use them, but I still wouldn't read into it too much.

• most do yes

• My ex is with someone and he responds.

• And you're ok with that? Isn't that unfair to the new chick? Is he flirty with you? Isn't that what the ;) is? Flirty?

• He's not flirty, but he's asked to hang out. It most likely is.

• lol yes. Well the guys who I've texted would use it just for fun until I would get annoyed XD