“She was the kind of girlfriend God gives you young, so you'll know loss the rest of your life.” - Junot DiazWhat does this quote mean to you?

Just like my title asks, what does this quote mean to you?

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• It means you had some very special connection/chemistry/relationship with a girl and then somehow it either went awry, she died, left, or whatever the end was the loss from such an event has literally scarred you in the heart that you will ALWAYS know the feeling for the rest of your natural born life.

0|0
    0|0
    • Ah, someone who had a deep impact on a person's life? Or someone who could've been "the one"? Well why did god give it to him "young"?

• @Asker - Could have? I would know now would when she's passed away. Felt that much though, the proverbial "one"... my interpretation of why god had shown him the loss of someone special now was to show the person what lost is, how to be humble about the next girl he invites to his world, how to know and appreciate the time spent between two hearts.

Most Helpful Girl

• It means Junot Diaz has no idea what true loss is if he equates a girlfriend with true loss.

0|0
    0|0
    • Lol come back and comment on love/life when you're not 12.

• I am not 12 years old. I have lost more than enough in my life to have a valid comment on this. You can always find a new girlfriend or boyfriend. Losing that isn't true loss. Losing your home, everything you own, your entire family, anybody you can trust. Sinking into a pool of depression, losing all hope for a better life. That is true loss.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Guys Said 5

• Wow rings true. I regret what happened with my ex and think about this but not involving god , but then think you felt this way about this girl because when you grew up so young she's a giant part of your life. but as you get older you don't fall in to quick level intamacy because of past experiences thus she would always be the one that you felt you clicked with best , in your head.. This is my logic for that lol

1|0
    0|0
  • Guy likes girl
    Girl breaks guys heart
    Guy knows what it means to lose something
    Guy hurts inside
    Guy doesn't recover emotionally
    Guy becomes bitter and resentful
    Guy finds girlsaskguys. com

2|0
    0|0
  • It means the guy has no method to his dating life and is looking at the past with rose-tinted glasses. Probably also trying to say sweet things so women will like him.

1|0
    0|0
  • It is just another way of saying "the one that got away." It is about meeting your soul mate and missing out, and having to settle for less for the rest of your life. It is common that you build up one of your first loves in your head to be greater than anyone can be. Then something causes you to break up, leaving you comparing every other girl/guy to an unrealistic model of what you think you should have ended up with.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's probably something his wife told him to write so that she felt special. :p I've never met a woman that had that sort of impact on me and I've had some serious heartbreaks.

0|0
    0|0
    • I haven't either, and yet I see so many people posting it on social networks.

• The only way I could see it fitting a situation would be if you met the love of your life and were on the way to marriage and then all of the sudden she got shot in a convenience store or something while running to get a bottle of wine for a romantic dinner that was happening that evening. I know... very specific. lol :D

What Girls Said 2

• I think maybe it's about a guy, who dated a girl at a young age and he took her for grated and now he realized what it is he lost but knows there's nothing he can do to change that so for the rest of his life he will have to live with that loss.

0|0
    0|0
  • It's pretty self explanatory.

0|0
    0|0
    • Hey thanks for taking the time to comment this absolutely useless sentence :D

• Show All
    • I posted this to seem like an intellectual? orrr because I was simply curious to know why so many men (young and old) post this quote all over the internet. Pls don't project YOUR "intellectual aspirations" onto me. If appearing to be an intellectual on the surface for everyone's approval is your thing, good for you although you're doing a horrible job. When you mature, you'll realize how douchey you sound.

• if you wanna seem like an intellectual then at least give us something to think about. something that isn't so cut and dry and plain to see. it makes you look insane that you need an explanation on something so obvious and simple. ill pray for you

and yes im younger than you but if you were above me we wouldn't be in the same space. lol

Recommended myTakes