Would you date someone who is deaf or mute?

• Yes
  • No

418

Most Helpful Girl

• I'd be too uncomfortable and just make it weird.

• A guy who can't talk but only listen? Sounds like a dream guy for many women 😜

• Not for me. I never talk, that's why my boyfriend is the talkative one. Would be super awkward if there was just silence. Obviously they would talk sing language all the time, but I couldn't act normal with that. Deaf or mute people should be with people who don't make it a big deal.

Most Helpful Guy

• I would absolutely give them a chance. No physical disability makes someone unworthy or unattractive. However, my money would not be on it working with a deaf person, I'm afraid, based on what I've seen and what I understand. I believe it's due to the culture of sign language. There is some way the words are tied to emotions or expressions, that makes it very difficult to interact with others. It makes deaf people come across as overly intense, way too serious, and just overall hard to get along with. It seems like there is a deaf culture that has some sort of animosity toward hearing people, on top of it. I do not really understand it, but I think it all ties together and that the creators of modern ASL are somehow to blame. Hopefully someone can clear this up, because it bothers me a lot if there is a social disconnect like this installed between people due to a condition that cannot be helped. A lot of potential for friendships and partnerships to be made, wasted due to some dumb shit.