Can a man under 5'6" ever be considered attractive?

Can a really short man (<5'6") ever be considered attractive? I don't mean, can they find love, but more like would any woman (or gay man) actually DESIRE them, as opposed to just tolerate their physical features? Kind of like how a lot of men have no preference or prefer fat women, even though that's not the normal beauty standard in our culture. Also, does it help if they work out a lot and are fairly toned, or is that more of a "putting lip-stick on a pig" type deal?

Please don't use celebrity examples, that's dumb.

0|0

Most Helpful Guy

• While it’s not impossible to get girl if you’re that short, it is significantly harder. I know, I’m 5’5. Majority of girls WILL reject you for that reason, they just might not tell you out right that your height is the main reason.

Now there will be girls who don’t care about that height and over look it if you keep yourself in good shape and have good social skills. But you will very rarely encounter girls who prefer short guys. It is near universal for women to prefer taller. There is no debate on this.

Ask any girl what her “ideal” man is and 99% will start with “tall.” But don’t get discouraged, as a negative attitude will surely get you no action at all. Make money, learn how to talk to women. There will be a few here and there that will tolerate your height because you have other good attributes.

0|0
    0|0
    • If the short guy constantly obsesses over his height than it's unattractive! My ex was very confident and pulled tons of chicks!

• Show All
    • @ask_me_anything_girl
      You’re right, most guys prefer that. No debate there.

However, a girl can lose weight and get implants. Guys can’t just grow taller. So it’s not really a good comparison.

• If there was an exercise I could do to be taller, I'd be 6'4". And also, it's not as socially acceptable to be openly cruel to a woman. If someone started tearing a girl apart over her appearance in public, someone would be reasonably expected to come to her defense. If I get torn apart in public, I'm expected to laugh along.

If a guy rejects a girl, and the stated reason is "she's too fat", people have a field-day with that ("what a shallow dick!"). If a girl rejects a guy, and the stated reason is "he's too short", she's just following her preferences (which is true, but so is the first guy). In fact, shorty is a douche-bag for even approaching, doesn't he know he could hurt her self-esteem by thinking he might be good enough for her?

And finally there are men out there who appreciate larger women. Judging by responses to this question, there are no women who appreciate a shorter man. The best a short man can hope for is to be tolerated, never to be someone's first pick.

Most Helpful Girl

• media.giphy.com/media/HTo8ZqxPOEF2w/giphy.gif
    Of course someone under 5'6 can be considered attractive. Since when has height become the most important factor in attractiveness? I'm sorry, I didn't get that memo.

1|0
    0|0
    • She said "most", that's cute.

• Show All
    • And it's not your opinion that invalidates others experiences, it's your tone. Like I said lol

• @WhistleForTheChoir The thing is, every time men bring up the subject of height, it frustrates me. I'm sick of men who whine that they'll never get a woman because they're too short and all women are so shallow that they only care about height, money and status. For the record, I'm not saying you're whining. I'm saying this question triggered a defense mechanism that always goes off in me when men talk about what women want in their opinion. It's just a "look at me, I'm not like other women" sort of thing.

Recommended Questions

Have an opinion?

What Girls & Guys Said

• I think it totally depends on the person. There's likely lots of girls who would find him attractive and a lot who genuinely wouldn't. Being fit can help, being otherwise conventionally attractive can help - but at the end of the day, we don't control anyone's preferences.

1|0
    0|0
  • I mean, I don't know a lot of really short guys, but there's one guy I know who's like, 5'2 and he's cute, funny, and fun to be around and I'd totally date him, if he wasn't married.

If it matters at all, she's taller than him and she's very pretty. They just had a kid together.

1|0
    0|0
    • Well, yea sort of I guess. But still not really what I'm asking. Of course short men can fall in love, it happens occasionally I know. But it's moreso, could a man who is that short ever be considered attractive by anyone, or is their physical appearance always going to be something to be tolerated?

• Like it seems to me that they won't ever be desirable, but if they put in enough foot-work to make themselves seem like a good partner they might just be able to find someone.

• Well, I thought he was physically attractive the moment I met him, before we ever exchanged words, so... yes? I mean, I'm sure it probably plays some sort of subconscious factor, but "tall" isn't really an attribute I care about.

I think most of the girls who rule out shorter guys do so because they think they'll look socially awkward together, and not because they aren't attracted. A lot of people can't handle the thought of random people judging them on the street.

• I'm 5'6" & I get around. It sucks, I mean it will be harder for you in a very arbitrary way & it is very easy to get inundated in the failure to the point of bitterness, but it does not necessarily spell complete disaster. I would rather be a guy who is 5 feet tall than a 6 foot tall guy with AIDS or maybe a heroin habit.

1|0
    0|0
  • Size doesn't matter, you just need to find a girl that doesn't favor basketball players. It's very weird too, usually girls end p looking like a child besides their husband, but a real woman don't care about all that non-sense. Theyd come for you wether big or small.

0|0
    0|0
    • Well thank you for you answer, but size definitely matters to the majority of women lol. And that's ok! I was wondering though if there were any women who preferred short men, or at least saw being short as a positive, the same way some men appreciate larger women.

• It makes no difference to me. I am 5'3" and have dated men shorter than me.

1|0
    0|0
  • I'm going to say a joke about that... just remember it's a joke so don't take it literally.

Every shot chick deserves a tall guy. Every tall chick deserves a tall guy. All the short guys can have each other. 😂

0|0
    0|0
    • I hope i get MHO for this one... since im the most helpfull person here... NOT.

😂

• Your fine I don't know where your from but in the U. S the average women is 5’4 & women like guys that taller than them so you made the cut

0|0
    0|0
    • A 5'4 woman would never like a guy just 2 inches taller...
      She has to keep margin for her heels

• Show All
    • @Somegirl80936 I've been on dates haha. Not terribly fun or interesting ones, but that's not what I'm asking about. I'm asking if there are any women who have a preference for short men, the same way some men have a preference for heavier women. Or is my appearance always going to be something to be tolerated.

• Omg , dude you don’t get it girls don’t care about height if they think your hot & yes I have friends that prefer shorter guys

• I would think so. I have a friend that is like 5'4 and he has a great wife and seems to always be able to get women even before her.

0|0
    0|0
    • Do you know if his wife thinks he is attractive, or she merely tolerates his appearance.

• Show All
    • Nope. Just shows there is someone out there for everyone.

• The "someone for everyone" line is a facet of the "Just World" Fallacy. The majority of men in history died alone and the majority of women died as sex slaves. But genuinely thank you for your positivity. Me being a fucking bummer is just what happens when you are just a little too self-aware. Thanks for responding.

• I mean it depends.. for me its deal breaker because im 5'9".. but i wouldn't say short people are not attractive just not my type.. for shorter girls it shouldn't be a problem..

0|0
    0|0
    • Thanks for your answer! I don't think it's a problem or a type-thing though, more just a biological preference to have the strongest, fittest guy "in the tribe", and for some reason our animal brains subconsciously associate big with strong and fit. And since short women and tall women's brains are wired the same...

• Well your not wrong but i mean i find some short guys very handsome and i know many girls that like more shorter guys so again it depends from person

• My babies dad is 5'5" he is sexy as hell. even though I hate him and he is always In prison. He still has a hot bod and nice face oh and I am 5'9" so height doesn't mean shi*!!

0|0
    0|0
    • He is 4 inches smaller...
      How the heck did you find him attractive?😏

• Show All
    • He would at the mad be upto your shoulder, right?

• At the max*

• Dude if a woman doesn't want you for your height. She isn't worth your time. Trust me. People who only care about looks. Will never care about you deeply.

0|0
    0|0
    • One might argue that everyone is shallow at first, and one only takes personality into account once someone has met their standards and caught their eye. I don't think anyone only cares about looks. At least not consciously. But looks are the first disqualifying factor for everyone. That said, I was actually asking if there were any women that PREFERRED short men.

• If they were 6’3 they could be models 5’5 is the cut off. After that you are ugly.. Sry.. 5’6 is good tho.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, you know that scene from Dumb and Dumber where the girl tells him his chances are one in a million, and he gets all excited and goes, "So you're telling me there's a chance!!!"

Well, those are your odds.

Every girl can point to an example of some short guy they know who's married. They keep track of that sort of thing so they can bring it up in conversations like these. Most girls have a gentle heart. They don't like to hurt. They don't want to tell all short guys, "Yeah, you might as well just kill yourself, sorry." That would make them sad for a few minutes, if that happened.

0|0
    0|0
  • Saw something that went something like this:

Girl: "Oh, you're only 5'2"?"
    Guy: "Oh, you're only a A cup?"

0|0
    0|0
  • Felix Silla literally has girls falling for him. (Look him up.)

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes he can be considered attractive but he'll never stand out from the crowd.

0|0
    0|0
  • No we're doomed from the start mate..
    Wait a second here... I'm above 5'6...

0|0
    0|0
  • Not if he obsesses over his lack of height.

1|0
    0|0
    • If the short guy constantly obsesses over his height than it's unattractive! My ex was very confident and pulled tons of chicks!

• Show All
    • With women, no. I've never met a woman who says that she prefers short men. But if you have other attractive qualities it doesn't matter, and like I said obsessing over that is detrimental.

• Actually when I was younger and skinnier I preferred shorter guys I thought they were sexier. But as I've gotten older and gained weight I don't feel comfortably with a smaller person any longer I want someone bigger. But that's my own Insecurities because of weight gain I still find tons of short guys hot I just do t think they would like me so I don't bother

• Have you seen Kevin Hart?

1|0
    0|0
    • The side of celebrities we see aren't real people, and you don't perceive height the same way when it's seen through the TV screen. That's why I said they don't count.

• Show All
    • Don't know any under 5'6". Unless they were born before the Cuban Missile Crisis.

• Really? ... interesting. Well there is a fetish where girls like short men

• Yeah, especially to a short woman

0|1
    0|0
    • I haven't noticed a discernible difference in preferences between short and tall women regarding male height. Short women prefer tall men too.

• I have no back up for my statement as I'm 6ft, I guess it just makes sense to me that a short girl is more likely to find a short guy attractive but tall girls would almost certainly go for taller guys

• Short women and tall women's brains are wired the same way. The biological preference is for tall men, because we subconsciously associate bearing with strength. Thanks for your response though.

• Yeah

0|1
    0|0
  • Depends on the personality really

1|0
    0|0
    • If everything else is good , then?
      And how tall are you?

• Show All
    • I can't wear heels. So problem solved!

• You can't? Why can't you?
      And your footwear would have at least 2-3 inches sole for sure , even if it isn't high heeled specific

• Of course

0|0
    0|0
  • Sorry you're short man..

0|0
    0|0
    • it's fine lol. Being short isn't so shitty. If I die alone, I die alone. Gives me more time to myself.

• Yes. You can be

0|0
    0|0
  • Of course he can with the right attitude.

0|0
    0|0
  • Yea nobody would wanna fuck tyrion lannister

0|0
    0|0
  • Depends on how u define attractive

0|0
    0|0
  • Sure

0|0
    0|0
  • Nope sorry bro

0|0
    0|0
  • Yes u can be attractive be yourself

0|0
    0|0
  • Umm... yeah?

0|0
    0|0
  • No they are Pokemon 👻👻

0|0
    0|0
  • Yeah, one of my friends brothers is 5’5 and he pulled tons of chicks. He was ripped as hell, wore stylish clothes, had cool hair and was funny.

1|0
    0|0
    • He dated lot of taller women?

• Show All
    • Some of the women were taller and some shorter, of that matters.

• He’s hitched now, though. Which is why I used past tense.

• No, sorry. Even if you manage to get a partner you are sure to be but a last resort.

0|0
    0|0
    • that's kind of what I figured too. I would just get someone who needed some bills paid or needed help with their kids.

• RARELY.
    Sorry mate , brace up for single lonely virgin life.

0|0
    0|0
    • I'm not a virgin.

• Show All
    • Even you!😂
      Don't you?

Recommended myTakes