In 2012, (24yo) Chinese Pop Star Zhang Muyi declared his love for his 12yo music student, Miki Akama. Now, they're getting married. Thoughts?

Back in 2012, Muyi 'Mission' Zhang, a 24yo singer from mainland China, publicly declared his romantic relationship with Akama Miki, a 12yo child model born in Canada. Back then, it was rumored that they had already been dating for a while; they'd been flirting on social media for some time. The “inter-generational relationship” made some shockwaves, only to die down and be forgotten. Now though, they're making headlines again; now Miki's 18, they're getting married.
(Then and Now)
in 2012, (24yo) Chinese Pop Star Zhang Muyi declared his love for his 12yo music student, Miki Akama. Now, they're getting married. Thoughts?
Within two days of their wedding announcement on social media, the post had received over 20,000 comments & 18,000 shares. They'd also become the most-searched names on China’s local search engine. Best wishes swarmed in, mostly from girls, saying that they were “meant to be together”, “cutest couple ever”, “true love.” Classic comments include “Okay, you guys make me believe that true love does exist” or “Wow, the reason I'm single is because my future wife is still in kindergarten!”

Angry at some people calling their relationship “pedophilia,” Miki wrote:

There are people who are changing our story and are using the fact that I was 8 years old, and in doing so, are harming us and our loved ones. When I was 8, I met Muyi and he was my music teacher, teaching me how to sing and teaching me self-confidence.

By the time I was 12, many of my friends with the same age as me had started reaching puberty and I also started to think about who I liked. I could talk to Muyi about everything. He said that when I would reach the age of dating, he would help me check them out. He said he would not let me date bad guys, because it is very easy for people to get hurt.

Looking back now, Muyi was also young at that time, so I told him that if he did not want me to get hurt in the future, he should just marry me. At the time we were just joking around. With that uncomplicated promise, I grew up with him on my side.

So, what's your opinion of Muyi Zhang, Akami Miki, and this whole sordid affair?

28

Most Helpful Girl

• Who cares. She’s grown now

• At the time when their romantic relationship began though, she was only 8 years old, and he was her 20yo music private tutor. Just because the groomer waits ten years (if he even did- though Miki herself implies that things became sexual between them when she reached the age of 12), for the child to become an adult, does that really make the sexual grooming of a child okay?

• Her parents must be fine with it. They need to be held accountable.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, she's 12 years younger and that is kinda messed up but due to their relationship and him not advancing sexually towards her, I can't really say I'm against it.

• He kind of did advance sexually towards her though, with a series of sexually explicit texts between the two back when she was 12yrs old (and he was 24yrs old- when the pic on the left was taken), shortly before he publicly announced his romantic relationship with her and declared that he'd marry her as soon as she turned 18. And Miki's own account of events implies that things did become sexual between them when she turned 12 and reached puberty.

• Yeah there's something wrong with that dude... That's not normal behavior.