Why do white people have such thin lips?

have u ever seen one with big lips?

98

Most Helpful Guy

• That is a good question and I think that there is one of two answers.
    1. First, lips are very sensitive skin and are more susceptible to harsh weather. So, it is likely that they are evolved to be smaller so they have less exposure to cold during the winter time which is longer and more severe the further north you go..
    2. The size of lips maybe a co-evolved trait. What this means is that Evolution caused some other trait in white people to occur, and the same causes for that trait are the ones that are also causing lips to be small. Here's an example of a co-evolved trait: the shape of a dog's ears is of course related to their breed. Breeds of dogs which have pointy ears or more closely related to wolves and can be accordingly more vicious. However dogs with soft floppy ears like brittanies and cocker spaniels are evolved further away from wolves and are more friendly. It turns out the decades that dog breeders who have bred to make friendlier dogs then ended up with dogs with softer rounder floppy ears over the generations of breeding. So soft round floppy ears are a co-evolved trait with friendliness in dogs.

• Yes there are white people with big lips. My wife is one of them. In particular her bottom lip which he used to get teased with the name "n*gger lips" when she was in school. Look at Angelina Jolie also, her lips are naturally puffy.

Most Helpful Girl

• People of low skin pigment tend to have evolved from places that get very cold, where large lips experience frostbite and windburn more easily.

• Yeah that was my first hypothesis and I believe that is the answer.

• I'm not so sure about that - sort of... Hard to explain. Likely, "race" was a scientific term 150 or so years ago and that it is no longer used scientifically since, from that perspective, it no longer applicable (*) but it still applies colloquially.

(*) What I mean is that scientific consensus 150 years ago might have been that the races were more biologically distinct (like subspecies or even species) but, with growing knowledge, that view fell out of favor so it was no longer a scientific term.
      Interesting article:
      www.scientificamerican.com/.../

• I never said it didn't know the colloquial meaning. I'm trying to teach people it doesn't have biological meaning.