Is my girlfriend crazy, or is it possible to "sweat out a cold"?

I tell her that's nonsense, but could it actually take longer for her cold to go away? She is very, very serious about it (she just has a stuffy nose and a cough), so much so that this is what she wore all day, just doing house chores and refuses to take it off lol:

Is my girlfriend crazy, or is it possible to

4695

Most Helpful Girl

• Myth: You can sweat out a cold

Verdict: When you're feeling fluey, you're willing to try anything to get rid of the aches and pains and stuffy nose, and while having a hot bath or rugging up may mean you feel better, it won't make a difference to your recovery time. "You won't get rid of a cold by sweating it out," Dr McCoy says.

Dr Hampson says that sometimes our body naturally develops a high temperature in order to get rid of an illness, but forcing it to heat up won't help.

www.bodyandsoul.com.au/.../1d65ef67c3d3b7a1cf998d629dc325c3

Most Helpful Guy

• there's no science that shows sweating out a cold, which is really sweating out a the aches and pains from fever, will improve recovery time

but you can potentially feel better. like taking a very hot bath may help sooth the aches and pains, but the sweating aspect won't help reduce recovery time

What Girls Said 45

• yes. apparently that works for some people.( because they are the people I know). I see that it works for them well. however there is also people who get better by just sleeping a lot and eat when they can. ( don't really want to admit but I'm in this group too).

When you get a cold listen to your body. whatever it tells you to do, just do it. (this is different for each individuals.) For example for some people their body will tells them to go out and exercise and when they do they get better but for some people their body tells them to just rest and rest a lots and when they follow it they get better. So it's important to listens to your body when you get a cold.

For your girlfriend she is probably in a group where she feels if she excercise she will get better. anyway tell me the result of her action if you can because I would like to know if that works for her. thanks.

• You cannot sweat out a cold. She looks ridiculous. Tell her to lay down and drink fluids and wait it out like everyone else does.

• You should make her do sports

• in that suit? she would pass out lol...

• lol, she's crazy enough to listen to me haha, what should I make her do exactly?

• Condition exercises, jumping, running, etc

• She isn't CRAZY. When you have a cold you are willing too try anything too get better. It won't make a difference to your recovery time. "You won't get rid of a cold by sweating it out.

• She's actually much better off staying hydrated & resting. Like sleeping. Her body needs to be taking in more at the moment not letting it out.

• I don't think thats how it works, colds are viral infections.. not water that your body naturally sweats out lol She could end up giving herself a fever.

• No, that won't make a difference and it might make her more uncomfortable. Make sure she gets rest, lots of fluids, and takes the proper cold medicine on time.

• I'm trying to tell her that it doesn't work, but her mom and grandma both swear that you can "sweat out a cold"... is there any truth to telling her that it might make her cold last longer? Then maybe I can convince her to change...

• Her mom and grandmother probably believe in a lot old wives tales. Well you can bend the truth and say it will be productive for her to take a hot shower regularly.

• Hahaha couldn't help but laugh this is too cute. I'm not sure but I hope she feels better soon

• I disagree. Colds are viral infections that are basically untouchable. I swear by rest in bed and soup.

• soup is freaking amazing for when you are sick, a good soup is good for when you are sick or cold or just need a good meal

• Yup. Soup is hot, easy to swallow and little chewing. It slinks down with no effort. Plus it's tasty.

Sadly it doesn't have healing properties haha. When I'm sick I stay in bed, tv on low volume, and consume only soup and tea with honey in. My boyfriend is pretty good - he knows how I like it all. Likewise when he's sick I know he needs a blanket while he games, or total silence while he naps, and hot chocolate with honey and cream at room temperature (he won't have hot drinks) and homemade turkey veg soup or a simple sandwich.

• That's nuts. A cold is a virus. You just have to wait it out.

• Our body responds to the cold virus by creating a fever. Raising our body temperature kills the virus. The old timers used to swear by it. Creating a hot toddy type drink going to bed with mounds of covers over you sweating like a pig and waking up the next morning feeling fine. Raised your body's temperature killed the virus.

• What internet reading? I learned this in Biology

• You are correct about the increase in body temperature slowing the virus but your immune system does most of the work.

• yes, it works. I do the same. if she believes it helps, it may be helping her psychologically, if not physically.

• There is no way you do the same as her lol... she seems to have gone overboard... lol

• I've heard it works.

• it's funny that you say that, most of the girls on here agree with you, but all the guys agree with me that she's crazy lol don't you think it's bad for her to wear that suit for hours on end?

• She is - amazingly - correct. By sweating it means a rise in body temperature has occured. This increase in temperature will actually kill some germs.

• But the increase in temperature can also cause proteins to slowly denaturate after long time wearing this

• No your body raises it temperature in reaction to a virus it has nothing to do with getting rid of it. Germs is not an actual term it is bacteria and it is a cold we are talking about so it isn't bacteria its a virus.

• Your immune system kills bacteria and inactivates viruses with white blood cells and then your Kidneys and Liver filter the waste from your blood.

• It's 100000% possible and correct.

Going to a sauna could for some people if caught at the right time help clear it up!

• No the body gets rid of viruses through the immune system, Kidneys and Liver.

• and a cold will not necessarily give you a fever.

• It is true because it's been done!!!

• Actually, she would be better off having a steam shower (half hour) followed by a good wash. That way all the germs etc are getting washed away.

• She should just try exercising instead or steaming/sauna which is really sweating out a cold the proper way

• You can't sweat out a virus, pathogens such as viruses and bacteria are stopped by your immune system and the waste is removed from the blood by the Kidneys and Liver.

• The only way you could male your body get rid of a virus faster is to take antiviral drugs but those aren't given out for colds.

• Um I dont really think that works your immune system has to work on its own since a cold is a virus and you want take antibiotics she's needs to hydrate and rest and probably be with a tissue box all day for congestion purposes she needs to get all the shit out of her (snot and all that)

• she can sweat out a fever... but a cold? never heard that one...

• Not to sound like a know it all but the body sweats when you have a fever to lower the temperature it has nothing to do with getting rid of the fever.

• I was arguing with someone else earlier about this.

• 👌u good.

• In a sauna maybe but not by wearing certain clothes

• is she still alive? does she still have the cold? and does she now have any additional problems? .. like heatstroke

• lol she definitely looked overheated but she is fine and feeling better today but she is doing it again (one last time she says...)

• Yes you can sweat out a cold!

• So many people agree with you, but I'm still not convinced. Don't you think it's not good for her to wear that outfit for hours on end?

• Do you even know a difference between an infection and a virus? You can't sweat out a Viral infection aka Cold/Flu...

• I don't think that can work

• Yes, it is very possible to sweat out a cold.

• Colds are caused by viruses. You can not sweat a virus out your body.

• I do this. I take a really hot shower, then I layer up in sweatshirts and pants. And I sleep under two blankets. The sweating is uncomfortable but I feel better as the days go on.

• yup she's 100% having a fever or creating a sweat is the best way the best way to rid a cold or flu

• Yes the body increases its temperature to stop or slow the virus but your immune system does most of the work. If you make yourself sweat you would only be making it harder for your body to get rid of the virus by dehydrating yourself.

• Making yourself sweat won't allow you to get rid of the virus any quicker.

• Lmfao I'm dying but years that's true. She's not crazy lol. Hilarious 😂

• I meant yes not years lol

• really? I came on here expecting every to agree with me and call her crazy, but now everyone is saying she is right... lol... I don't even know what to think lol can't it be bad for her to spend hours in that suit?

• Well staying in it for hours isn't good. 1 hour is good enough but when you sweat it takes the cold/Fever away cause it comes out with the sweat. It's good to sweat for a bit to release all the germs but to long is over doing it. So fucking funny though 😂

• Hahahha my mom says the same

• Silly but it's true haha

• maybe she has a fever and feel cold. Better take her tempeture.

• More from Girls
    15

What Guys Said 94

• Many people believe the old wive's tale about sweating out a cold. We know that colds are caused by viral infections and those don't get sweated out.

• While sweat removes toxins from the body, dehydration will only make matters worse. Plus the sweat is being kept close to the skin with clothing like that. The only thing that will truly cure a cold is adequate nutrition, proper hydration and excess rest. Medicine helps symptoms, but our bodies do the work and actually cure us. She would have to sweat completely naked, like in a sauna which saps the strength your body needs to fight off infection.

• Sweat doesn't remove toxins, that's a myth. Toxins are removed from the body by the intestines, liver and kidneys.

• No the reason why we sweat is to control body temperature thats it. The only thing we lose through sweat is water. The Kidneys and Liver remove toxins from the body not sweat.

• Zinc, copper and iron are required for our bodies to function properly and copper is found in our bones, muscles and liver. Nitrogen is found in our bones and teeth, none of that is excreted through sweat.

• Sweating works for a infections that are caused by a Bacteria. Cold and Flu are both Viral infections, Viruses are non-living organisms (yep people hard to believe, but this is the reality, I'm sorry if you believe otherwise. You're teaches should be ashamed so should you parents).

Your Girlfriend looks silly and is doing herself no good. In fact she is Dehydrating herself via sweating. One thing that tends to ease Cold/Flu is Chicken Noodle soup, do to some odd vitamins and minerals in it that help the body in fighting off the Cold virus. And you can't forget drinking plenty of fluids, as well as some Tea with Lemon and Honey, works as well.

What she is doing now on the other hand... Well temporary moment of Insanity based on some functional information she may have heard somewhere or read from some shady internet source like the Onion or maybe 4Chan message boards, or was told by a friend who clearly has a Ph. D in infectious diseases and works or CDC.

• i go in the sauna when I have a cold. Not sure if it shortens the duration, but it does a wonder on the symptoms

• A wetsuit? Yeah, I don't think that's what's going to cure a cold. LOL
    How 'bout plenty of liquids, a couple of IB's, some cough drops, and sleep, or rest.
    A cold is a virus - it has to be dealt with on a cellular level within your body - there is no magic bullet. You have to develop the antibodies that kill the virus cells. It takes some time, and has to run it's course. Antibiotics do nothing for this.

• You cannot do anything to counteract a virus. Cold Eeze zinc lozenges and Emergen-C will lesson the symptoms but not the duration. It must run its course.
    Wearing a rubber suit can cause dehydration at a time when you really need fluids.
    These are medical facts. She is not helping herself.
    ~JSmith

• I don't know. My go to technique is a vitamin C shock. I take lots of them for a couple of days, then it just goes away.
    This is pretty damn funny though XD

• Try eating oranges and a lot of the white pulpy stuff. Works better than vitamin C pills.

• if it works it works. you can't tell her what to do. get on with your day

• lol, you are right about that... can't it be bad for her to wear it though?

• nah lol just keep an eye on her. if she passes out, strip her ;)

• and make sure she drinks lots of water

• Well.. if she had a fever, you'd better make sure that she stops doing that because it actually is contra productive..

• Well the older generation always said to sweat out a cold. Used to make up hot toddys. A wee bit of whisky or rum with a spoon of sugar and hot water. You can't just dismiss things people have been doing for tmyears as superstitious or unfounded bullshit. These things, at some time, were based in fact. We just assume they don't know what they're talking about. They came up with poltices and all that stuff and they're proven to draw out infection from a wound. She should be lay up under the quilt though not dressed like an artic explorer

• I actually believe it works cause when I get sick at night o sweat like crazy and on the morning I'm pouring in sweat but I feel a lot better

• Good possibility of her to, become dehydrated.

Signs of mild or moderate dehydration include:

Thirst
    Dry or sticky mouth
    Not peeing very much
    Dark yellow pee
    Dry, cool skin
    Headache
    Muscle cramps
    Signs of severe dehydration include:

Not peeing or having very dark yellow pee
    Very dry skin
    Feeling dizzy
    Rapid heartbeat
    Rapid breathing
    Sunken eyes
    Sleepiness, lack of energy, confusion or irritability
    Fainting
    Symptoms for babies and young children can be different than for adults:

Dry mouth and tongue
    No tears when crying
    Dry diapers for 3 hours
    Sunken eyes, cheeks, soft spot on the top of the skull
    Sleepiness, lack of energy, or irritability
    Severe dehydration is a medical emergency and needs to be treated immediately.

• You can "exercise" out a cold. Maybe not sweat it out. Exercising gets your heart going and breathing up. This can help to clear congestion. It also release hormones that help you feel better. But as for siting in a sweat suit all day, I'd say that'd make it feel worse especially if you don't replace enough fluid. It raises your core temperature and the stuffiness could add to congestion.

I find that I can do exercise and it helps to relieve cold symptoms. But as a cold is a virus, it is literally to get rid of the cold itself like this as the viruses live in cells.

So she's not wrong, but far from correct. Get her to take the silly, uncomfortable suit off, go for a run (or any exercise that suits her fancy) have a nice steamy shower. That will do her the world of good!

Hope this helps!

• There are natural ways. You can boil water, then pour it into a glass and add camomile in it. After that put the cup on the table, take a towel. Look down on the cup, cover your back of the head and neck with the towel, and breathe in the water with camomile for 10-15 minutes. Just be careful when the water is hot, when you think it is too hot, don't breathe it in until its a little colder. This method works and my mom always told me to do this when I was younger. There is an another method: eat a lot of vitamin C. You can squeeze one or two lemons into a cup and then drink the whole glass of lemon juice/acid. The cold will go away in no time.

• Yep. Get some Grappa and put it in warm milk. Get under a pile of covers, even better if you have a heated mattress pad and crank it. sweat like a pig and you will feel great.

• You don't sweat out a cold or fever.

The sneezing, coughing and fever are symptoms. That means they are the results that your body is reacting to the illness. They are not the actual disease. Treating the symptoms makes you feel better but doesn't do much for the actual disease.

The disease is caused by virus or bacteria screwing around in your body. Your body reacts to these Invaders and causes the symptoms.

• As long as she drinks enough, it at least won't hurt her.

• thanks, that's actually good to know!

• No lol
    You can't sweat out a flu. That doesn't even make sense if you think about why we catcg a flu and how it effects us

• I have never tried it with a cold, but I think it does help when I have a fever. I will avoid taking any medication that reduces fever (assuming it is not dangerously high) and do as much physical activity as I can stand. I've been outside splitting firewood by hand with a temp of 102. When I'm about to be over it, I break out in a heat rash on my neck and torso. I feel like it cuts a day or two off of it.

The again, maybe it's in my head. I dunno.

• It's a shark suit to keep you from having sex with her. Just tell her she can sweat WITH you.

• I've done that my whole life. Not the outfit, but sweating out the common cold and the flu. I'll stay under my blankets and sweat like hell (pun). I'm generally sick only two days. The only thing is, you have to remember you have to drink plenty, PLENTY" of water to help! I try to get 2 gallons, ice cold water.

• No and I would highly recommend stopping her now. Words from a doctor in training. When you sweat you release water and minerals that is it no germs. It's not physically possible for sweating to help a cold because if anything it makes a cold worse. By sweating you dehydrate yourself which is bad when you have a cold because your body needs water to fight the bacteria water is key when ill so keeping hydrated helps a lot. All she is doing is helping the bacteria fight against her body.

• ummm I think she's crazy, and I'm not doctor, but if you are a "doctor in training" you should probably know the difference between a bacteria and a virus...

• Sweating out a sickness is not possible. If anything, heating up her body to the point of sweating would most likely make her sicker.

• I say let her do it. The least she could be doing is place-boing herself into getting better. As long as she is not actively putting herself in danger let her act crazy.

• If you know meds that will heal a cold, please, inform us.

All I know is waiting till it's over, in maximum comfort.

• I mean, placebo is empty. It doesn't do anything, it's just peoples' brains that do the job

• But still, the method 1 I told is effective. It is not a placebo method. After 4 minutes of breathing in that stuff your nose is not stuffed anymore. Another 5 minutes later you start coughing very hard until you spit out the phlegm. After another 5 minutes cold goes away pretty much.

• this could work out actually and most opinions explain it perfectly

• yes in fact there are scientifical evidences of enzymes, biophysical processes and bacteria working better giving a higher temperature. however working is very counterproductive. you should still rest.

• is your girlfriend wearing a drysuit around the house

• Myth: You can sweat out a cold. Verdict: When you're feeling fluey, you're willing to try anything to get rid of the aches and pains and stuffy nose, and while having a hot bath or rugging up may mean you feel better, it won't make a difference to your recovery time.

• Your girlfriend is crazy.

You can not "sweat out a cold".

At most, it'll help your aches and pains.

• More from Guys
    64