How do you feel about Russia?

Do you view it as a good or bad country? would you ever want to visit russia? just in general how do you feel about it?
How do you feel about Russia?
I personally want to visit Russia one day and ride their famous Trans-siberian railway. steemitimages.com/.../trans_siberian_map.jpg

3274

Most Helpful Girls

• I’m Russian myself actually and moved to England around 4 years ago. The society is a little too ‘traditional’ leading to sexism, racism and homophobia. As for culture, sure it’s rich and has a lot of history. I would never move back. Healthcare ain’t a thing, a few of my relatives were even fake diagnosed with cancer just to make them undergo expensive treatments - corruption is very real. The vast majority are brainwashed by TV which is, in turn, controlled by the government- which effectively robs its own citizens. I’ve got a lot to say, but trust me I’d never move back

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • As for visiting as a tourist? Yeah, but if you’re not straight expect some serious judgement and hate. Not everyone is like that - plenty of people aren’t. But I’m talking about the majority

• Aw thanks for MHO!

• I'm an ethnic Russian, and I can't really say anything bad about it. Unfortunately, I have yet to visit Russia, although I'm hoping to go with my dad in October. It's the culture that I grew up with, and also the language. Although I'm not good at speaking or writing it, but I understand quite a bit - you know that shit kids do with their immigrant families, answering them back in English 😂

In light of recent events between Trump and Putin, it's important to remember to strip away the politics. Focus instead on the rich culture, the history, the cuisine, the language.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • definitely agree on the last part.

• If you do indeed ever take the train all the way from Moscow to Vladivostok, you sir will be a champ. Lol.

• just one of the things on my bucket list lol.

If it ever becomes safe in my lifetime y i also wouldn't mind traveling the entirety the silk road.

Most Helpful Guys

• Russia is still a great power, though diminished at the moment. This is not the first time. The whole history of Russia has been one of rising and falling and rising again - the Crimean War, WWI, WWII, etc. Its resilience is not to be underestimated and it is a dangerous power with a capacity for advancing its interests

Consider this long quote from de Tocqueville, written in 1832!

“There are at the present time two great nations in the world, which started from different points, but seem to tend towards the same end. I allude to the Russians and the Americans. Both of them have grown up unnoticed; and whilst the attention of mankind was directed elsewhere, they have suddenly placed themselves in the front rank among the nations, and the world learned their existence and their greatness at almost the same time.

All other nations seem to have nearly reached their natural limits, and they have only to maintain their power; but these are still in the act of growth. All the others have stopped, or continue to advance with extreme difficulty; these alone are proceeding with ease and celerity along a path to which no limit can be perceived. The American struggles against the obstacles which nature opposes to him; the adversaries of the Russian are men. The former combats the wilderness and savage life; the latter, civilization with all its arms. The conquests of the American are therefore gained with the ploughshare; those of the Russian by the sword. The Anglo-American relies upon personal interest to accomplish his ends, and gives free scope to the unguided strength and common sense of the people; the Russian centres all the authority of society in a single arm. The principal instrument of the former is freedom; of the latter, servitude. Their starting-point is different, and their courses are not the same; yet each of them seems marked out by the will of Heaven to sway the destinies of half the globe.”

In that light outreach to Russia is not unwise. The United States and Russia are, suffice to say, not natural allies and an alliance is inconceivable. However, an accommodation not unlike the pre-WWI UK-Russian understanding is possible.

We won the Cold War, in part, by splitting Russia and China. They are not natural allies either.

However, If our policies should drive them together, the U. S. will face an unimaginable strategic problem for our interests. We would be well advised to approach Russia from that perspective. More analysis and less posturing.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • What a fantastic answer! What is your background?

• One day you'll make it there. I'm hoping to go with my dad in October. I'm working on improving my language skills so he doesn't have to be my translator the entire time.

• @musicbrain5 Wow! Have a great time - and thanks so much.

• I'd love to visit Russia, but obviously, with its reputation, I would go with reservations. For example, a black English footballer by the name of Danny Rose told his family to stay home (in England) during the World Cup, rather than follow him to Russia. A female Russian politician during the World Cup told Russians to avoid having sex with tourists who come in for the World Cup, and added that if Russians MUST have sex with World Cup tourists, they should only have sex with WHITE tourists.

These things do not paint Russia, the country, as a friendly place for anyone other than white folk.

But, I'd like to think that the people of the country themselves, are a diverse lot, and just like in any country, you'll find good and bad eggs. I'm sure the majority are good folk, and will be more than happy to welcome travelers to check out their beautiful country.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • Also, I'm not a vegetarian, but I suspect Russia may also be a challenging place for a vegetarian. I might be wrong. I hope I'm wrong!