What It's Like Being Israeli

What It's Like Being Israeli

So I'd like to begin with saying that I respect opinions that are differnt than mine. What I don't respect are people that are hateful of Israeli people because they are racist or antisemitic. I won't bother answering opinions of this sort. Except of this, please ask questions, add opinions and I'll answer them honestly.

So I'm an Israeli teenage girl. I go to high- school, I drive a car (and not a camel like many think), and I'm going to join the military next year.

Religion

What It's Like Being Israeli

I am a Jew, because my parents are jewish. I don't go to the synagogue, I don't dress very modest, and holidays for me are a reason to meet my family and nothing more. Our country is becoming more and more religious with bigger percentages of the jewish population being religious than 20 years ago (more than 50% are now religious of some sort). One fifth of Israel are Arabs (most don't consider themselves palestinians, but Israeli-arabs). And the populations rarely mix. Most of us aren't racist, at least in my eyes, though most people are against mixing the two groups from a fear of losing our culture. Most schools are a one religion school, same with villages and neighborhoods. I am against adding religious rules to the country, but most of the population doesn't agree with me.

Politics

What It's Like Being Israeli

Politics in Israel is special. When most countries define the political parties by economical views, we divide them by their military views- if they are pro palestenian country (meaning pro giving land back to the palestines) or not. Our right wing is against giving land back, more religious, mostly chauvinistic, and many times racist. Our left wing is small and weak, anti-religious, sometimes pro palestenian country and feministic. None are socialist or very capitalistic, they are all both of them mixed up (pretty much like American democrats). Our right wings propaganda is that the left wing are traitors. Because of that the people are afraid to vote for the left wing.

One time I talked to a Netanyahu supporter on the bus. He had absolutely no knowledge in politics. He didn't know what the palestinian refugee problem is, he didn't know how corrupt our government is, the only thing he knew was "the lefties are traitors." I do not believe that our prime minister represents our country well. I believe that most people vote for him because they are afraid of trying something different.

Army

What It's Like Being Israeli

No, not all of the soldiers are bad people. There are many people in the army, that like me, think that the army should be the last solution to every problem. Yes, some soldiers do very bad things but I really don't think we can see the whole truth in every 10 second video of a soldier hitting an arab person. I think we can't create justice by judging people or the army on these short videos. Sometimes all we see is a soldier hitting a palestinian person, but what we don't see is that that person threw rocks at the soldier and tried to kill him. This isn't always the case of course, but we always need to remmember that the news reports are sometimes biased. I want to join the army. I think the army really needs people that won't shoot people for no reason, that have a moral compass. I think I can do good for the army.

Gal Gadot

What It's Like Being Israeli

Best person ever and a really good representation for our country.

Please write comments and ask questions. I think I can shed some light on opinions of Israeli's. Thanks for reading. Sorry for my very imperfect English.

1032

Most Helpful Guys

• I support the left wing Israelis because more logical sense becuase prime minister Benjamin netayahu is a fucking idiot cuz he expects a group of people who been shove to a small area of border and not allowed to leave the small area or even fish in the waters or even get much support then say the people should be calm and stop protesting seriously that guy is illogical as fuck but anyway the israel and palestine problem is never get resolve if both have extremists as ther Representative cuz for me just divide the border by the population but at least west jesulem and tel aviv as israeli

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • I want to ask a question, how will the Gaza Palestinians live if Gaza strip would soon become inhabitable?

• From what I know steps are bein made from qatar and other arab states to end Hams' control of Gaza. If this succeeds, there will be a better use of the money given to Gaza from foreign countries, that is currently used for weapon making and not for rebuilding destroyed houses and generally for the population of Gaza.

• I've heard that the Israeli military service is mandatory. But what do people do if they're pacifists, neutral (who aren't pro-Israel or pro-Palestine) or a high-sensitive person? And do people with autism have to serve? In my country autistic people are not allowed in the military. Pacifists are people who are against wars and don't believe in any violent solutions.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • It is mandatory. There is an exception of this groups of society: arabs (though many of them choose to join the military), handicaped, some of the very religious people and people with autism. Specificly for people with autism, there has been lately founded a inteligence unit that people with autism serve in, because they are naturally better in noticing smaller details in big pictures of land. Autistic people who volunteer for the army go to that unit and other maintinance units in thr base.
      Pacifists go under the obligation to serve, sadly. Some pacifists go to the military jail, and some do get a permit not to serve. Many that don't want to join the army pretend that they are religious so they'd be released from duty.

• sucks, America has something similar called a wartime draft, but for such a small country surrounded by enemies you are not allowed the freedom to be a pacifist, your life and the lives of your countrymen are counting on everyone to protect against those who wish to kill them

• I can see ups and downs to mandatory military service. The downside is that I think it makes the military that you have a less effective per person, because you can easily get people without a lot of motivation and generally you have less time to train them. That being said, I think that overall it's good for society. Teamwork, service, the ethical use of violence, first aid, emergency response etc. are valuable skills for a people to have.

Most Helpful Girls

• I always have serious doubts about politics news brought to us by media. I'm from the Middle East as well, and I have met people from Canda, US, and Europe who thinks that we still ride Camels and women are not allowed to work or educate. I Don't blame them, frankly, I feel sorry for them. Having said that, I don't think that the situation in Isreal/Palestain is as dangerous as we see on TV, and yet I don't understand why Palestinian keep blaming the world and especially Saudi Arabia on the war that they are involving themselves into.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • I have an Israeli friend. She's a great person. She doesn't like talking to people about Politics stuff. Her mom avoided the army. I don't know how though.
    How do you avoid?
    What do Israelis, people like you, or in the army, think about Palestinians?

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
    • There are a few ways to avoid the army. She might of had a mental illness, maybe got married or went to a trial, where some people get allowed not to join the army for ideological reasons

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 30

• I know Israelis and Jews, and I have no problems with them, and never really think of them by those terms, as they are just friends. I also know Muslems, some that are devote, and pray, and follow the laws, and others that drink, and don't care, and eat bacon.
    Knowing both, I sometimes get caught between them, in the arguments about who 'rightfully' owns the land, and the City of Jerusalem.
    I respect that Israel needs a strong defense force, as they are literally surrounded by nations that hate them, and disagree with their right to exist! Am I wrong with that assessment?
    I know something of American weapons, military style weapons, and have also shot many from other nations. I am very pleased that Israel has developed the Tavor, made in Israel, and it is probably the best weapon possible, for the kind of fighting that your defense force will face (personally, I would have chosen the German MP-5 and variants, but I understand why they didn't!!). The M-16, and M-4, while decent weapons on open field fighting, are just a hindrance, in city fighting, due to the length!!
    So many AMAZING THINGS, medical, industrial, robotics, and just education, come out of Israel!! I am actually surprised, so often, seeing some new, amazing discovery in surgery, or medicine, Computer technology, coming from Israel.
    Why does the media in the US seem to always report how many Palestinian women and children get shot, by Israeli troops, but they NEVER say how they use women, and children as SHIELDS, when they attack as suicide bombers?
    Where can we, in the US find the REAL facts, online?
    I know people, who studied at schools in Israel, and also in Los Angeles, in the US. They ALL said, that they felt safer, in Israel, with the soldiers, on the streets, than they did in LA.

• Huh, never really thought about what it must be like being Israeli. Thanks for sharing!
    A couple questions:

What do Israeli people think of America and Trump?

Also, the Israel-Palestine conflict has been going on for a long time now. Do you see any possible way to end the conflict peacefully?

• America is our most important ally, actually one of our very few supporters. Many Israelis support trump because he is more supportive of Israel than others.
      The first step to end the conflict would be to cause the terrorist groups to loose their control over the palestinians. We still haven't found a way to do that. The conflict wouldn't end peacfully no matter what. When a peace agreement will be made, 0.7 million Israelis will be exiled from their homes. Don't understand me wrong, this is a step that needs to be done, it's just that it mades making peace imposible.

• Interesting.
    I heard in israel women have potential and they can become strong and independent. Could you tell me something about it and whether it's true?

I was recently in America and I have seen quite many strong and independent women there 😍 from various places.

• We are strong and independant! Well, not in all parts of thr population, but mostly Israel is very strong in women's rights. We even had a woman prime minister and the US didn't yet 😉

• COOL!

Angela Merkel is (undeserving) the kanzler of Germany also. I don't mind a (female) leader, so long the leader knows what it's doing and will bring good results. Which is not the case for Germany.

• Very well expressed. I have been to both Israel, the West bank, and Gaza. While there may be corruption in the Israeli government, it is nothing compared to what the Palestinians have to deal with. I had never seen anything so bad in my life, and I travel a lot.

• Wow that's so interesting! I would love to hear what you thought of Gaza.

• Yes, I did. And even got stopped and questioned by them. But, it got much better once they saw that I had a Maltese passport.

• come to scotland and you will see the scottish flag l hate the uk goverment set of low life retards we want our land back in the scottish peoples hands its going to happen in the next 5years you hear that you retards in downing street london we want all our oil moneyback as well that you have stolen from us in the past 50 years set of fucking shit hole bastards? fuck the uk goverment war mongers get to fuck

• The only thing I know about Isreal, is 1) You all are the world leaders in desalination technology, water conservation and water recycling.
    2) You all are world leaders in Agriculture. You guys developed a cherry tomato that is disease resistant , as well as a new type of potato that can be grown in the desert and watered with sea water.

Great Take 😊👍

• When I was there, the inflation was sky high. All prices for more than food were in $ and thus adjusted when the rate of the shekel against the $ changed. In the north we stayed in a kibbutz in sight of the Golan Heights.
    Rocket or mortar fire forced us to get into a shelter.

• The worst was the rain we got in Jericho and in Beersheba. The wadis in the Neguev were flooded and there were no bridges. We had no 4x4 but just a tiny car. Thus that day was flunked.

• I was there 30+ years ago.

• WIth all due respect for you Israeli lot, lots of you are very annoying.

No, I don't mean the normal 'Israelis are shit people' but every single time I go to Israel (and I go often) there is always an excess of rude people. It can be quite annoying. Others are range from okay to nice but there are plenty annoying people when I go there.

Though, Israel is an interesting country. It's expensive af, but it is interesting and it is doing quite well in many regards. Too bad the Israelis can be annoying, but we Dutchies (or a hybrid like me) are alike in bluntness so I guess it balances it out.

I should add, if I were to write a version of your MyTake, then I would have focussed a bit less on politics and focus on army service (since that is quite a unique thing in the civilized world), interesting things you experience for being Israeli. The MyTake you wrote yourself is more of a take on the state of certain things in Israel, but it does not really 100% cover the experience of being a teenager growing up in Israel. For example, if you're talking about politics and religion, don't quickly talk about what each side wants. Write about what influences your life in with Jewish holidays, political decisions and all that stuff.

Make it more personal if you have a title of describing what it is like to grow up in Israel rather than generally quickly glossing over certain things in the country. Just my two cents.

• I came for another good laugh and got exactly that.

->Most of us aren't racist
    ->most people are against mixing the two groups from a fear of losing our culture.

Choose one or the other. You can't have both.

• What I was trying to say was that there's a different form of racism- meaning a person hates arabs not in a way that he wants him to be dead, but in a way that is based on a lack of knowladge and exceptance of cultural differences. I'm glad you find my words funny, and if you'll try actually reading without being biased and sarcastic you might actually learn something. Thank you for your time

• go away you talk no sense you work for mossad

• they are all trouble makers

• I had a classmate in college who was an Israeli Naval officer. He was in Shayatet-13 the Israreli equivalent of US Navy SEALS. He was one bad ass ! However, Israelis haven't been good stewards of the land and the
    Palestinian issues have never been settled. How do you disenfranchise
    6 million people, shove them into refugee camps for 70 years and them not be pissed?

• Well you are correct, except of it being 2.5 million palestinians and not 6.

• We definetly have a very strong military. The problem with that, is that most of us grow on mituses of heroes in wars, and through that are educated to believe in violent solutions.

• I from Turkey. And i muslim. I dont see jewish people as our enemy but Israel government makes big mistakes. Israelgovernment should stop Zionism. Jerusalem can't be belong to any country. There is really important for 3 religions.

• I don't think that zionism is the problem here. Modern zionism loves the whole country, not only Jerusalem. I agree with you that Jerusalem should be for everyone, yet that seems pretty far away currently.

• Yeah interesting, I want compulsory conscription brought back in Australia, I think discipline for young people is very important.

Try not to get discouraged by others, tell people what you want them to know, people like me will always get a new insight, and block the rude people on this site, block them on mass, reduce threes the influence they have at hurting others.

• My uncle served in the military as do the daughters and sons of my grandmothers friends.
    One of the daughters is a pilot.

• Are you speaking of serving in the IDF or in thr military of your contry?

• IDF.
      In my family almost no one else served because:
      Grandfather was a physicist graduate.
      Grandfather served in the soviet army.
      Grandmothers -- no service for women.
      Father left the Soviet Union in the middle of university -- he was supposed to serve either before or after (I don't think he was considered a special case -- like with scientists)
      In Israel he stated that he's not fit for service and they didn't take him.
      Mother was already a bit older than the age of conscription and so they just let her go -- she was a student as well.
      Uncle -- left to the US before being called up.
      Uncle -- served.
      Brother -- hasn't been to Israel since the age of 3, will not be going for some time (age-20)
      Me -- won't be going for some time due to citizenship, preferably I'd go when I'm married or with a child, if that happens to happen within a few years, otherwise I'll have to risk it to see my grandmother in country.

• This was a really interesting read. The comments are even more interesting, but I'm not going to speak on that aha. I know Israel is doing really well technologically. What are your opinions on that? I'm pretty interested in all things technology and such. In particular with Israel's advancements. Such as the state being an incubator for startups and all.

• Actually I don't know much about technology.. I only know that we invented the USB flash drive😅 thank you for your comment though!

• Why don't you nuke Mecca? That would prove Allah didn't exist, if he did exist he'd never let "infidels" destroy his sacred city. That would make the world a better, safety place.

• Why... do you guys mix egg with eggplant in a pita.

• down with israel its gods land not yours so give it back to the people that you stole it from l have no faith in jews any longer l want nothing to do with them could not care less what happens to you jews l thought that the jews would have learnt from there past history but it does not seem so?

• Thanks for the perspective!

Rarely do I directly dislike the actions of the Israeli military. When it comes to Palestine, I think that many times they are intentionally provoked in order to create a situation that looks bad. I do think they take pre-emptive measures a bit too far sometimes when dealing with Syria/Iran/Hezbollah, but that's really a different subject.

That being said, I don't like Israeli political strategy when it comes to Palestine. The very concept of the two-state solution seems extreme and divisive to me, and I wish people would discuss a single state solution that offered good government services and representation to all, without interfering with anyone's religious practice.

Maybe that's too idealistic for the reality of the situation, but that's the view that aligns with my values as an American.

• As long you're not a Zionist I have no problems. There are Jews that are anti Zionist I just don't know how many. Even some Rabbis are anti Zionists and get a lot of hate.

• Well, I love my country and would'nt want to live anywhere else- what makes me a zionist. But I'd love to hear why you are against zionism

• Great take thanks for sharing. I would love to visit Israel sometime.

• Fascinating.

Do you foresee the left wing becoming stronger in the foreseeable future?

• Most of the disadvantaged of our population or right wing supporters. Sadly this is mostly due to lacking knowledge in politics. They don't understand that the economical views of the right wing are what cause their bad economical state. In 2011 there was the cottage cheese boycott. This was a protest to lower the prices of basic food ingredients. Soon after cam the "tent protest", one of the largest protests of Israel's history, fighting for lower prices for houses. Both protests were mostly of young people- in their 20-30's. In the 2013 election Yair Lapid's party rised, which was more socialistic economical views. He gained one fifth of votes. It is becoming more popular for younger generations to vote for the left. I think that could bring to the uprising of the left wing in 20 years or so.

• More from Guys
    10

What Girls Said 8

• What is the experience like for women joining the army?

• It's hard to explain because it is so regular, like men joining the army. There are roles that women aren't allowed to do. Women can be pilots and marines, but they can't be most of the roles in land combat. They aren't allowed to cross borders on land from a fear of them being kidnapped and sexually abused.

• great take!

• You sound like a good person. :)

• Love this take!

• Cool

• Great take. I've been to a few middle eastern countries and Israel was the only one I felt safe in as a woman.

• The apple of God's eye.

• Good take