Are Progressives more Conservative than the Conservative of today?

I am sure you thought that the title for this article makes no sense, but have you ever thought about it? Perhaps upon further examination you will realize that you are wrong

Let’s list some things that makes a progressive more conservative than the conservative of today and see how it looks:

1. Progressives have consistently expressed that they don’t see freedom being as important to society as some other things, that’s pretty conservative. A typical progressive is more friendly to a hijab wearing girl than they are to a girl practicing free speech on a college campus

2. Progressives are hostile to any freedom of weapon ownership given to ordinary citizens, that’s pretty conservative. To limit the right of an ordinary citizen to protect themselves is pointless, but an individual that does not understand the importance of freedom and thinks conservatively will fail to understand why the ordinary citizen must always have a weapon to protect themselves. In the mind of the conservative, more importance is given to limits and boundaries than to freedom and that is what shows that the progressive of today actually thinks conservatively

3. Progressives see pornography as being demeaning to women, and an obstacle to the way to female equality, that’s pretty conservative. Only a conservative thinking individual would be so hostile to freedom of bodily expression. Taking away pornography would be a direct attack against female liberation and the efforts of free women of the past. Whatever is seen as demeaning in pornography is actually making the performer and the viewer happy and that is the context that the conservative minded individual fails to understand. Besides, the pornography industry has revolutionized the world of sex in terms of artistic innovation and they have created countless jobs for women and that’s great

4. Progressives have continuously been hostile to any change that they do not deem supportive of the way they think, that’s pretty conservative. Progressives have shown that they will not respect any rule of law that doesn’t bow to them, they work around that law and use the weapon that social media has become to suppress opposition, that is the way a dictator thinks and that is a threat to democracy and in turn a threat to freedom

5. Progressive hostility to scientific thought is something that has affected the courts of law and society as a whole, that’s pretty conservative. We punish anyone these days who doesn’t fit the narrative of progressiveness, no matter how strong of an evidence they present to make whatever point they are making, such hostility to science hasn’t existed since before the renaissance era

I think these five points show that progressiveness is actually society going backwards to a time that took unimaginable strength of great individuals to fight against. Today, the fight is between the Progressive and the Liberal but most people fail to see that and instead look to the corrupted mainstream media to figure out who they are, and that is the biggest threat that freedom has ever faced

820

Most Helpful Guys

• "progressives" are actually regressive's who are determined to implement all the failed murderous policies from the early part of the last century.

• It is the "Right Wing Conservatives" of today who are actually "Liberal" in the classic 19th century sense of that word.

• But not liberal in the literal sense of the word. They're still very much the same people they have been for many decades, propping up the status quo of the 19th century, while we live in the 21st and the world is a very different place than we thought it to be.

• @msfuntastic Because your clinging to the bankrupt Marxist ideas of the 19th century is so "progressive", right? :P

• They cling to ideas that have been shown to actually work in the present day, in Europe. Liking having homicide rate brought down from insane, to manageable. Healthcare brought down from insane, to accessible. An income inequality brought down from insane, to reasonable. Progressives want to cherry pick ideas that work, and dump the ones that don't. Not subscribe to a particular political theory.

Most Helpful Girls

• Can anyone tell me what a politics is?

Join the discussion

618
  • You've been confused. That's not what "liberal" and "conservative" mean in American politics. Progressives believe in social progress and sometimes that entails the caveat of nixing certain freedoms, but they are for expanding more freedoms in other areas. Conservatives like to keep our freedoms as they are, without nixing or expanding them in any way. They want to "conserve" the status quo, hence the term conservative. Progressives want to change the status quo, to progress society. A progressive is not exactly a liberal, but a conservative is certainly NOT a liberal. They fight for the status quo ultimately, not for the most lenient or generous position (liberal).

Conservatives are also against pornography, they're also against scientific thought where it impacts the status quo, and they're also hostile towards anyone who does not adhere to "traditional values". Conservatives are not liberal, no matter how many times conservative talk show hosts suggest that they are. They say that for the pity.

• 1d

Liberals want to limit freedom of speech... if it’s something they disagree with.

• You lost me at #2

Either you have no idea to what the actual principles of political conservatism are or you are using a definition of conservative that bears no relations to politics.

• I know that Conservatives support gun freedom, but that's very liberal of them. Being actually Conservative would be to support rules over freedom, and that is why Progressives are the actual Conservatives

• Ok then feel free to share the point.

• I did in the post

• I don't think you're very familiar with Progressives. All of the things you've said they believe and/or do is a gross mischaracterization.

I mean, take #5 for example. The vast, vast majority (like, 90%) of professional scientists in the entire world are Progressives; I'm not really sure what you think it is they're hostile to...

• 90% of the professional scientists in the entire world are not progressive

• I did the search you suggested and came up with some articles about James Watson. I don't really see what your point is here - how does this make Progressives hostile towards science?

I mean, compared to Conservatives, who are constantly denying basic scientific concepts and comping up with half-assed conspiracy theories about scientists...

• I am not a Conservative myself, I am a Liberal

• Most progressives today are authoritarian leftists. Conservatism tends toward authoritarianism as well, although much of the current political right is libertarian-leaning conservatives. Still, the social authoritarianism between conservatives and progressives, albeit in different ways, is similar. For example, the left's stance on guns and the right's stance on immigration are largely interchangeable when you replace the two topics.

• "A typical progressive is more friendly to a hijab wearing girl than they are to a girl practicing free speech on a college campus"

Really telling sentence right there. I do not support arresting people for their speech, but I also choose not to support giving a platform for fascists to use for recruitment. To me, it's like seeing Nazi recruitment anywhere and pulling aside an associate to ask "can I speak to the manager", because no, I don't want anything I patronize to be useful for fascists to recruit if I can help it. What does a hijab have to do with free speech? What if that girl is using her free speech to advocate for Sharia law? Do you think any of the supposed free speech lovers on the alt-right would come to her aid? Would they tell me "oh, we need to have the conversation about Sharia, and let Sharia exist in the marketplace of ideas"? Probably not.(and by the way, I'm not a supporter of Sharia, I'm an atheist, I despise theocracy)

I am actually a strong supporter of the SRA (socialist rifle association), John Brown Gun Club, etc. I think some gun control is good, but it typically hurts minorities and vulnerable populations disproportionately.

Again, I support deplatforming fascists. They don't come to twitter to debate, they come to brigade, harass, recruit and legitimize their ideas. They never want to have a debate in good faith. And the debate about whether or not bigotry is okay is over. We had that debate for decades, and now we have pretty much decided it's not okay.

You mean I am hostile to people whose entire plan is to raise austerity and bolster white identity politics? I guess. I mean, isn't that what I'm supposed to do in politics? Oppose my opposition?

Conservative """science""" is not about science. It is an entirely political endeavor made to obfuscate our society's management of climate change, safety regulations, separation of church and state, and relations between peoples.

• You are putting together all progressives in one bunch. Thats wrong politically speaking because it differs from country to country what is progressive and what their standpoints are.

• Check out my second question and comment there what you support or not, so I can understand where you stand

• Labels mean nothing. Beliefs mean much, much more.

• Labels are everything because what one person thinks will most likely die with him, unless other people think the same, but then you'd have to label them to be able to identify them

• What? I didn't delete any comments, drama queen

• Whatever dude.

• I think you don't have an understanding of what conservatives or progressives actually stand for.

• Turns out liberals today are facist and the conservatives don't give a shit and sit by and watch.

• You mean progressives today are fascists? Liberals are not progressive

• I said what I meant. Maybe in your world the meaning of progression has changed to defend liberals wanting to restrict and censor. Liberals have always had progressiveness tied to them. Progression in the utopian sense means freedom without prejudice to races, ideas, and practices.

Yes we are going backwards. It's just being targeted at a different idea, race, practice.

• The terms are all confusing nowadays, so official definitions mean nothing. What matters is what set of beliefs the voter says they have

• ''Progressives'' ye the Libtard are very progressive indeed, open the border they said, let all the 3rd world refuge in raping and killing our women and child and than complain later that their neighborhood is not safe

• Liberals are the ones who are protecting our actual freedoms. Conservatives talk a good game about freedom, but actually take freedom away. An easy example is the initiatives in a number of states, lead by conservatives, that are designed to curtail voting rights. And an easy example of that, is in Florida, where the people voted this last fall to allow felons to vote once their prison and probation time has expired. (except for sexual felons and violent felons) Republican law makers are now busy crafting new laws that make it more difficult for felons to vote once they paid their debt to society. Republicans are ignoring the will of the people, as voted last fall by the people in a referendum, and are doing what they can to curtail the freedom to vote. That is what Conservatives do. They take away constitutional rights.

• Progressive is a term to define Liberal, except Democrats know that liberal and socialist are considered negative terms and so they now use Progressive.

• Nope. End of the day, progs are pushing for changes, conservatives would rather preserve a status quo.

• I'm pretty sure society has only gotten more liberal since the dark ages.

• Have you ever noticed white isn't a proper colour? It's just like black.

Excuse me, I just have to cross the road at this zebra crossing...

• NO. Even so-called conservatives today are liberal.

• Liberalism is a mental disorder

• Progresives have one final objective: the Implementation of socialism. This requires:

1. The breakdown of family
    2. Implementation of double think: "trans-gender".
    3. Villification of caplitalism and the profit motive.
    4. Villification of USA's European cultural bedrock.
    5. Erasing religion.
    6. Increasing proverty levels to justify rebellion against current capilaist status quo.

There was a time when conservatives were viewed as the rational side. Then it brcame the neo-liberals who havebjafnthat hat on for the last 40 years or so. But with advent of the SJW , transgenderism , the custom of shouting down and villifying anyone who disagrees with them ( neo-liberals) the conservatives are starting to be seen as the more rational side again.

• So not true.

Number 6 is particularly dumb. Who's increasing proverty levels?

(Oh, and most of Europe has moved on since 1776.)

• Oh my. You're quite uneducated.

• What a great piece of satire!

• I can't tell if you're actively trolling or not

• Yes, Progressives are actually Regressives.

• Yeah

• possibly maybe