Why do Finnish people often dye their hair black?

I know most of them have light brown or blonder hair color...

Is it a cultural thing? Does it have anything to do with their music culture?
Is it for the sake of fashion?

Most Helpful Guy

• Haha I guess @lumos may be able to tell you :-)
    She's Finnish and has black hair... what's the secret Lumos?

• My hair is not black at all, it's brown. It just looks black in my picture.

• Oh sorry @lumos... on top of not having looked carefully I'm colour blind :-)
      Are there indeed many girls with black hairs in Finland or is this statement complete fantasy?

What Guys Said 5

• Probably to stand out since most common hair colour there is fair.

• No... since all I've seen actually color their hair black/very dark brown...
      So most of them are dark haired. o. O

• Thats interesting - Don't know Finland that well so could be a music/cultural thing for all I know. In Ireland where I am from it tends to be darker in their teens and blonder from about 25 onwards.

• Its like the ice bucket challenge...

• It's a trend.

• Because they want to look like Asian :P.

• may be its a cultural thing or may be for sake of fashion

What Girls Said 4

• there are people there who look like Swedish Nordics but many of them actually do have darker hair and Asian-like features. It is the Finno-Ugric native people's features that is spread from Finland to Ural to Sweden and Norway, they have some features looking like Asians.
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/P9nLW9KiiSM/hqdefault.jpg
    http://images.ookaboo.com/photo/s/Sami_women_s.jpg

I do not think it is a trend or a cultural thing. It is a personal preference like everywhere else. Some girls especially some mixed girls don't look good with blond hair it makes them look too simple and sometimes overly pale when black hair or darker hair make a contrast with their pale faces and make their faces look better.

• I very rarely actually encounter people with black hair here. Majority still has blonde or brown hair.

• Oh. I've never been to Finland, I've just met a lot of Finns as tourists here... and they all had dyed hair. Almost all of them. o. O

• Tons of people dye their hair those colors from all countries? :D

• I know... xD But I just see it so often in Finnish tourists.
      - maybe their skin tones vs. the colored hair makes then stand out more... so i notice it more than other people dying their hair that same color...

• Strangely enough the few Finns I met in their 20s had all done it...

• the grass is always greener at the other side of the river :-)