Why do guys unbutton the top buttons of their shirts?

I notice that men do it a lot. I never knew why. Please give me an answer!

Most Helpful Guy

• Men do it for various reasons, most having to do with trying to be sexy or cool. Some women like it for various reasons. Some men are very vain and think they look great with their shirt open. Some men look reall good and some women find it very sexy. As you can see, there are many reasons men do this. I hope this helps you.

Most Helpful Girl

• The Same in Name with Girls who do a Bit of Unbuttoning themselves here, Dear... Sexier Maybe, but also Looks Better, and a Most Probable with a Little More air to Breath with not Being Such a Stiff Neck with this Being Stuck around One's Neck.
    Good luck and Great question. xx

What Guys Said 17

• Partly for comfort, but mostly so we don't look like nerds.

• comfort for me

• It is for comfort mainly - Most shirts are fairly tight around the neck - If you had to wear a tie everyday, you love chance to open top button

• It's just the style in which they are normally worn, and have been since at least the 30s or 40s. I was personally taught to only do up the top button or two if I am wearing a tie by my father, and that's the way that I would teach my son. I guess it's just the general conduct.

• To show off my chest hair. I'm not going to gel and style it only to cover it up with a piece of fabric. And when I wear it as a mohawk, having that shit buttoned up is uncomfortable

• Having your collar done all the way up is tight and uncomfortable. Dress shirts and ties are uncomfortable.

• Most of my shirts don't button all the way around the top of my chest. Even if I get a right size shit I usually workout my way out of the size in a couple months.

• I wear large shirts, and even then I need to unbutton the top button because otherwise it's too tight.

• because its less warm

• To have a shirt done all the way up without a tie looks a little weird, undoing a button give the outfit a 'busniess casual' look

• because its more comfy

• It feels too tight buttoned up all the way. I don't like it rubbing against my neck either.

• Because its really warm outside sometimes.

• So it's not tight round our necks

• Sometimes our chest needs to breathe or when we get hot we take off our shirts

• so they don't look bottoned up

• It's actually expected, and either an edgy fashion/pure nerddom to do the top button up without a tie.

It's also extremely uncommon to button up the bottom button on a single breasted suit jacket. Some are cut in such a way that it's not exactly possible.

What Girls Said 5

• to show off their chest i guess

• Because top buttons choke you. Also unbuttoned is more casual.

• I have no clue but I do not like it.

• Male privilege

• Not only guys do it, maybe because they just like wearing their shirts like that, or because it's warm, or because sometimes you can have difficulty breathing when all the buttons are buttoned up, and this is true, when I went to high school I had to do that and I just couldnt breathe