What's the whole purpose of thong underwear?

Many women & teenage girls wear them. Why don’t men & teenage boys wear them? What are the reasons to wear a thong panty? What is the purpose of underwear with a tiny back strap between your buttcheeks? Is it to feel sexy & feminine? peer pressure? or fashion? Or something else? please enlighten me!

2mo My own opinion on this topic: women wear thongs, because they want to feel sexy & feminine and because they want to please their mates. Sometimes because of the competitive posturing between women in the locker room and other places (And that are the only sincere reasons for wearing a thong).

But women don’t want to be marked as slutty, bitchy & easy, because the female ideal is the reserved, pure and innocent girl/woman … so they pretend to just do it for panty lines and comfort *lol*

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Good question! Never really thought about it but you're right, why? The only "good" reason I can think of that makes sense to me is women wanting to tan more of that area without being naked. I can't imagine they are comfortable. I've obviously never worn one but it would be like having a continuous wedgie wouldn't it? Which would drive me NUTS! Maybe women are used to that feeling and/or don't mind it? I guess partly to feel sexy maybe also but? I would think they would just be so uncomfortable.

good tan... never thought about it. Good reason!
      Women say it's about panty lines, but aren’t there seamless full bottom panties and boyshorts on the market? With them it should be possible to avoid VPL. And I don't unterstand the whole pantyline drama! Why people have such problems with pantylines? If you don’t wear super-tight super-thin clothing, you won’t have any problems with visible pantylines…

But I suspect the panty line excuse is just a cheap excuse. Read my update.

I’ve tried thongs for a few weeks, but did’t find them comfy… the constant wedgie made me furious.

What Girls Said 17

• To avoid pantylines if we're wearing tight pants like yoga pants or leggings.

you're a pretty weak troll. Go find better things to do with your time than thinking of nonsensical questions like this.

• They're super comfy and they get rid of panty lines. I don't give a shit about panty lines and I rarely wear thongs but yeah, most of my reasons are just that they're super comfortable to wear.

so you've started to wear thongs because of "comfort"?
      How old were you?

Like I said, I very rarely wear them, I just have one or two that I wear if they turn up in the drawer 😂 They are super comfortable and I don't even think that they're all that attractive, I think I look better in another style of underwear. I didn't try a thing on until I was 18, so only a little while ago.

• I don't know but I don't wear that shit

*lol*

well maybe you should.
      Thongs are sexy :=D

Nah risking my comfort and happiness just to look sexy is not worth it. I'm not sexually active anyways so I have no one to show and even when I do get married my hubby will have to deal without it

• Just to feel sexy and also confident that there is somthing is hiding your private area

thanks for the honest answer!
      Most girls say they are not doing it for "feeling sexy & feminine". What's your opinion on it?
      Do you concur with it? I suspect you know your own gender better than I do, so you have a better insight in the minds of your female companions...

I concur. Feeling sexy is also a reason of many but its not the only one

• I wear thongs to keep from showing my panty lines through my clothing.

• I wear them bc they don't show a panty line, when we wear something thats close to our skin or tight you'd be able to tell, so they basically give us a seamless look without having to go commando

• to not a show panty lines when wearing tight clothes. that's the TRUE purpose

and what about feeling sexy and feminine?

well yeah there's that. to not be wearing granny pantie when I see my boyfriend

• Panty lines.
    Also look sexy too, which is a plus. haha

I suspect it's reversed.
      looking sexy is the main reason and no VPL is the plus :=D

• just for fun

• No panty lines for a starter, plus they make wonders with the men when undressing in front of them

• No panty lines.

• panty lines

• It's so that the panty line doesn't show

• its so it feels nice to get a wedgie

surely there are some girls who like the stimulation of the back strap.

• To feel and look sexy and to also not have pantie lines when wearing tight clothes

thanks for the honest answer!

It depends on the person, some wear it simply to feel sexy /look sexy some wear for fashion purposes

• I weal underwear to keep my lady parts from rubbing into my pants or showing when I wear a skirt, why would I wear grandma panties when a thong covers just enough and also looks good on me? 😊 it's a personal choice

there are other underwear styles, that don't look like Granny Panties... no need for thongs :P

is it important to have a rounder and fuller but? :P

nope, just as is not important to wear make up or waxing or painting my nails but I still do all those things and more 😛

• So that I don't have underwear lines when I wear leggings or yoga pants.

Aren’t there seamless full bottom panties and boyshorts on the market? With them it should be possible to avoid VPL. By the way: what’s the whole pantyline drama about? I don’t understand why people have such problems with pantylines? If you don’t wear super-tight super-thin clothing, you won’t have any problems with visible pantylines…

What Guys Said 7

• To floss your anus and remove crusties.

• I prefer proper panties myself 😂😂😂😂

• I've been wearing one for the last 20 years since my girlfriend (now wife) suggested it. Geez it felt weird for about 2 weeks having that thin strip between my butt cheeks but was fine after that.
    I tried going back to normal ones a few times but thongs are now more comfortable for me. Cooler too (temperature).

Why does your girlfriend suggested it?

• The main reason I heard was panty lines

Yeahh, that's what i hear too, but on the other hand there are seamless panties and boyshorts, that are also able to prevent Panty lines.

• Because we have a Dick I think. It would be pretty uncomfortable I suppose.

Men’s thongs are specifically for them designed to accommodate the “junk”. There is a front pouch with “enough room to spare”…

Nonetheless, there are not many male thong wearers….

Oh in that sense I think it's too feminine for most people.

that is a logical answer.

• My girlfriend mostly wears thongs to avoid pantie lines in professional clothing and dresses.

how come, we men don't have to prevent panty lines?

• we have dicks?

I have. Do you?

last time i checked