Why are guys afraid to be stylish?

Perfect example... Christiano Ronaldo.

link

In Europe, men dress totally differently and a lot of them aren't scared to actually be fashionable. I love when men can dress like Ronaldo and be totally comfortable with their sexuality and are totally confident enough to wear things that some people consider "risky" Funny thing is, it's only risky in America and in Europe, it's perfectly fine to look "metro-sexual". It's a shame because I'm really into fashion and I refuse to date a guy who wears a wife beater and basketball shorts on a daily basis and sadly, there's not many guys like that.

So my question is why are a lot of guys afraid to be stylish? And how come when a guy is into fashion and isn't afraid to be stylish, people consider him to be gay? Guys, do you dress a certain way so people don't think you're gay?

Most Helpful Guy

• Might be age related. When I was in high school, a lot of people thought I was gay. Interestingly enough, no one since I went to college has EVER thought I was gay.

I have a fairly well established reputation in many social circles as being well dressed and I'm often told when people see me in my workout clothes that I look strange in athletic wear. However, I can't say I've ever felt ostracized because of it. On the contrary actually. A lot of guys are really very fashion conscious. We just don't feel the need to be stylish on a regular basis. I can't really explain it, but its just easier some days to throw on an old T-shirt and a pair of athletic shorts than to spend the exact same amount of effort putting on a nice button-down and decent jeans.

What Guys Said 3

• I dress the way I want to and negativity doesn't really phase me. I've been called and considered myself metrosexual for the last five or so years and during that time I've traveled to a few countries in Europe and seen what awesome fashion they have to offer. I love shopping and often dress my girlfriend up, and I'm not ashamed to say I take longer in the bathroom, lol.

It's true; what's considered borderline homosexual in America is the norm in Europe. But I think that has to do a lot with the culture. America was built on hard, manual labor and I think that's still reflected in American fashions today. Moreover the social norms that exist within America frame homosexuals and homosexuality in a mostly negative light so most guys try to stay as far away as possible from it. But we're definitely out there.

• I started dressing well and became the stylish/preppy guy in high school. A lot of people assumed I was gay at first though but after talking to me realized I wasn't, I just had good taste. I was even called "ballsy" by other guys (that knew I was straight) because of it. I got lots of compliments though, and still do. Girls like it as long as you actually look "nice". If you try to be "fashionable" by wearing pink skinny jeans or something, you don't look nice, you just look "gay".

Judging by some comments I got from other guys, I'd say a lot of them just don't have to confidence to pull it off and think that it will shatter their social perception or something. I never had that problem.

• Perhaps because not all guys like the metrosexual look? What constitutes "stylish" is completely dependent on personal opinion.

Personally, because of the double popped collar, the partially untucked shirt, and the disheveled hair, I think he looks like something of a tool (not gay, but more like frat boy-esque). I wouldn't be caught dead looking like that.

I'd rather wear something that looks more clean and modest. If you took his outfit, buttoned up the collars modestly, tucked in the shirt all the way, and combed the hair down straight, then I'd be fine with looking like that. The only time I see a majority of guys wearing wife beaters and basketball shorts is at the gym- most people don't wear that crap casually. I dress how I like, and that's how I like it.

What Girls Said 1

• I don't think they're "afraid" just that they want to dress in more comfortable things. Most guys I know just wear whatever is easiest and don't really put much thought into their style in general.

Personally, I don't really like that guy's style, so it's not "stylish" to me.