Is 5'8 too short for an American male?

I'm 21 and still a virgin and never had a girlfriend. I have a quite handsome face but the only girls that have ever shown interest in me have been very short. Like around 5'2 or 5'3... I'm pretty positive most girls my age don't care for me because of my height. Hell, even very short girls like 5'2 want a guy that is 5'11 or 6 ft.

Just to prove my point, I have seen some tall males who are pretty damn ugly in the face with semi-beautiful women hanging on their arms. One example is my friend, he is a 6 footer with a not so good-looking face although he does have a square jaw.
And to prove my point again, in high school this girl's mom didn't want her to date this guy because he was "too short"... he was practically the same height has me...

Most Helpful Girl

• it's likely nothing to do with your height and everything to do with your lack of confidence.

Granted I'm only really little myself, but I think the ideal height really is 5'7-5'8 for me. They're not too tall that I have to stand on tip toes to kiss them or lay my head on their belly when slow dancing.

But I don't choose guys to date based on how tall they are anyway. If they happen to be around that height it's just a bonus.

So work on maybe how you see yourself- and it will project into how others see you as well. :)

• How tall are you? I'm guessing you are probably 5'3-5'4.

• That's actually the perfect height. I hate it when I can't see the top of a girls head...you know? The same height or even an inch shorter than me is too tall and makes me feel bad.

• 4'11? I think I'm in love.... (5'2)

What Girls Said 12

• I think you're overthinking this wayyyy too much. Allthough some things are dealbreakers height isn't one of them - the only circumstance I can think of would be if you are shorter than the girl and with most girls averaging 5'6" it doesn't seem like too big of a deal. If a girl is only attracted to someone for their height then they're probably with them for the wrong reasons. I'm 5'2" and 5'8" is pretty much the perfect height for someone my size. Stop worrying about it, the time will come.

PS: I'm 21 and a virgin, don't be ashamed, it isn't a bad thing!

• You're around the perfect height for a girl. Unfortunately, most girls here in America are only about an inch or so shorter than me. Girls want a guy that is taller than them even when they're in heels. If a girl who is around 5'6 or 5'7 put heels on she would be taller than me!!!

• "in America"? Lol do they feed you guys something different or something, I'm from Canada and I'm pretty sure they don't consider us little people. The fact if the matter is, if a girl is going to have a major problem with something like a couple inches then she isn't worth your time. End of story.

• I'm 5'11 and I've dated guys who are anywhere between 5'7 and 6'3. Some girls care. Lots don't. It's not too short, jsut how I am not too tall. It was reallllllly hard for me to get a date in high school. I'm hot, too. But all the tall dudes were always going for cute, little girls. It used to really bother me, and sometimes it still gets to me.That being said, you jsut have to find someone who likes you for you. You aren't too short, jsut how I am not too tall. We are exactly, perfectly made according to out genetic code. She's out there. Keep looking. You'll find someone awesome who thinks you are incredibly sexy.

Quick story for you... The guy I dated who was 5'7 or so was incredibly hot. Like wow. Handsome. And we were walking in the mall one day, holding hands, and he looked over at me and beamed "I LOVE that you are so tall." I thought he jsut tolerated it! But he liked it! "I feel like when I walk with you, I'm walking with s supermodel." My insides did cartwheels with happiness. :-)

You are NOT too short. End of story. If you want, go and find a tall girl. Tell her how beautiful she is, and ask her out. Then tell her you feel like you're walking next to a supermodel when you are holding hands. Tell her how proud you are to be with her. It will make her so happy... And it might even get you some. ;-)

• I'm more attracted to Tall guys, I'm 6'0 so tall is what I consider my only option. But you're not short, your pretty average, girls around 5'6 probably like you.

• I dunno...I'm more attracted to tall guys (I'm 5'4 btw) but lately I found that height doesn't matter to me as much anymore (my ex was 6'5 so maybe that's why I might be in for a change ;) . If I like a guy, that is, if he's confident, nice and doesn't talk just nonsense, I don't care about his height.

Be confident, it's not all about height..besides you can't change your height anyway, so just bear with it and make the best of it. Either girls like you for who you are or they don't, but then you better forget about them anyways.

• I'm 5'9" and I've dated guys who range from 5'6 or so to 6'3". Basically if you're not a douchebag you've got a chance. Too many girls are shallow and pass up nice guys just because they aren't the friggin jolly green giant or don't look like Sam Worthington. As long as the guy didn't have a complex about me being taller and was a good guy I'm down.

• Noooo you're not too short. I mean if your going for like super tall girls then yeah it might be a problem depends on the girl but my bro is 5'8 he's had quite a few girlfriends and he looks pretty tall to me but then again I'm 5'2 so everyone looks tall to me lol. Now the virgin thing well believe me you're not the only 21 year old virgin it will happen for you soon enough.

• I don't mind if a guy is tall, but I prefer him to be closer to my height (5'5) rather than taller. For example, the guy that I have a thing for right now is 5'7-5'8 and I wouldn't want him to be any taller. It's so nice to be able to look him in the eyes without looking way upwards!

• Um what's wrong with short girls? I'm 5'2 and never have gotton any complaints :). And to answer your question no, the average height for American males is 5'9 1/2 inches so your only 1 1/2 inches shorter... Nothing to worry about.

• I wouldn't worry, most girls are short than 5'8, you have plenty of choice left. haha

• are you here?please add me.

• I'm 155cm,i'm short too.I'm a chinese girl.don't worry.in fact,health is important.

• my best guy friend is 5'8 and gets tons of girls I'm 5'5 and I have the biggest crush on him. when you have a good hot personality it doesn't matter about height.

What Guys Said 3

• Short answer - yes, your height is hurting you just like if you had acne or any one of the other 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000 things girls put on their lists of "things I don't want to see on a guy" type of thing.

Long answer - nobody is perfect and everyone is different. Yeah, you're not six foot one, so what? Learn to accept who you are and how you look. Secondly, what is wrong with dating a girl who's 5'2? On one hand you say that you're a virgin and can't get a girl but next you say that the only girls interested in you are 5'2 53 or whatever. Do you see the irony there? If you have a list of criteria that you look for in a girl or a certain type, STOP - go with your feelings. Next time you meet a girl you're attracted to, don't think just go for it. So what if she's taller, shorter, thin, fat, freckles. Go with your feelings, don't overthink things and have fun.

• Hmmm I'm 179 so that makes me 510/11ish...so WOOHOO! But it sucks I'm not 6ft 3.

Anyway

I once checked the average height of the american male was 5 ft 9. So you may be slightly under.

but I find you can be as big as you feel.. really.

I had a kick ass internship job in France and I was getting paid, had a car and my own place. And after I got back, I found everyone else shorter than me... HELL eventhe urinals seemed short.. And I felt so tall, I felt so good because I was independent! And I had not gained any height.

But ofcourse, when I was back in sucky school and having no car or no bachelor pad I felt like a sucky loser piece o crap student moron =(. Now I feel shorter.

So it really can be psychological. 5;8... that's like 170.. Well that's okay I guess. You can still look intimidating if you work out.

Cheers

• I'm even shorter. How do you think I feel?