Ex boyfriend gave me a hickey?

Here's what's confusing me:
He still cuddles me at night (my head on his chest with his arms on me) and asks to do that every night
Pays for dinner when we go out/order takeout
Wants to be in the same room with me (and if we're not, he'll come into whatever room I'm in) and will move to be closer to me
The other night, texted me when he got off work and asked if I wanted to go to this restaurant (it's a nice restaurant with low lighting and candles on the table.. a place we used to go on date nights and said he was excited for our fun day..)
He calls us friends but he always said that he only goes to super casual fast food kind of places with platonic girl friends.
Gets super angry/jealous when he thinks I'm interested in a guy. Like REALLY angry.
Now I know this isn't smart and it's only happened a few times the past week or so, but we've started having sex again. His sex drive is back and he's in the mood all the time (which was a factor in why we'd been fighting a lot before. I didn't feel attractive or desired) He kisses my neck and cheek during which is something he considered romantic before.
A guy friend of mine who has a crush on me showed up at the apartment yesterday and wanted to take me out on a date and my ex went out and told him to get out of here and some other stuff. Then my friend texted me asking if he could talk to me in the parking lot and I agreed, and my ex watched from the porch to make sure I was ok (he doesn't like or trust my guy friend).
So last night, we had sex and he seemed more aggressive than usual and seemed really dominant
(this sounds stupid but it felt like he was trying to prove he was like the alpha male and that I was his)
and he was biting my neck and giving me hickies (he always bites but something was different)
and I asked if he was marking/branding me and he said yes. Why would he do that if he didn't want me to be his? He then said I should send that guy friend a picture because "it wouldn't hurt to send it"

He was struggling with moderate depression which was making him have no motivation, wanting to ignore the world, no sex drive, self loathing, etc. and we were fighting a lot because of it
He said he needed to take at least a year to work on himself before dating again because he can't be happy with someone else til he's happy with himself.
The past couple weeks, his depression has seemed almost non existent with him being happy a lot again and wanting us to spend a lot of time together
We're still living together while I wait for a new apartment to open up.
He'd told me a couple weeks ago that the reason he didn't seem as upset as me was because he doesn't have time to be sad and that he moved on. Then about a week ago, admitted he was lying about that and that his heart was torn but that he's hiding it (he's super out of touch with his emotions)
He'll hug me when he leaves for work but doesn't kiss me or anything. He only kisses me during sex.

33

Most Helpful Guy

• That's definitely an alpha male thing
    His male ego is bruised and that can cause him to do stupid things
    I was in a similar situation with my first love. She had a friend who hooked her up with a car
    And to my male mind that was like him walking up to her in front of me and saying" drop that guy I can take better care of you." I told her OT wa a slap on the face then I slapped her face to emphasize my point
    She ended things saying" if you let him get away with it once he'll do it again".
    I have not developed the habit of slappingy lovers.
    It was a stupid male ego thing to do
    I am am sorry for it constantly
    I had a stroke about two years back on her birthday in fact. Strokes take your motor functions and speech but not memories so I was stuck in my own head
    Reliving that incident and regretting not having the maturity so trust her and believe her because I loved her and she never gave me reason to doubt before
    She was young and did not understand the fragile male ego, so be carful yourself. That situation would have made me crazy back then

Most Helpful Girl

• He remembers the good times between you two and you are comfort to him. Ex's are weird and they want you when they don't have you. If he really wanted to get back together with you he would be trying to make up for it, and not try to get in your pants every chance he gets, nor take out his frustration in sex. Like I said you're comfort its easier having sex with an ex than going through the whole trial and error with a new person. Honestly it just sounds like he's with you currently to pass the time.

What Guys Said 2

• I'm sure he wants you both to be an item. To be back as proper partners in a loving relationship. Go for it if you want to, but always watch out for the signs of trouble.

• So he has side chicks.. n ur ok with that XD u know he fuck them if he can right.. js

What Girls Said 2

• He's taking advantage of the free pussy, really...
    U should probably cut him off before u get hurt...

• It seems like the two of you haven't broken up at all. If he's not going to actually be with you then stop seeing him until he makes up his mind.